Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 04:39:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 381078 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 27, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »

That's a comic performance, obviously. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but my recollection is that the role is not unlike the one he had in Paint Your Wagon.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 27, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »

I don't recall ever seeing this film, so I watched it tonight, interesting retelling of the story, now I'll have to go back and watch the original version again, and possibly search out Hemingway's short story.

A not particular in-depth discussion of the three versions forms a chapter of this:

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »

Something to ponder:

It seems like, and dj & I touched briefly upon it at an El station on last weeks Leone OUTIA locations tour, that Film Noir is largely in the eyes/mind of the beholder. Once you get past a core group of Noir Films that most folks agree upon the fringe element films of Noir get quite sketchy. Some films have the expressionistic lighting but are not of the Crime or Thriller Genre while some that barely do are included because they are Crime/Thrillers.

Cases in point "The Big Steal", "The Lineup", "5 Against The House", "Murder By Contract" all considered Noirs but not very visually Noir. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »

Just saw this posted on another board:
TCM and Sony are promising an early 2012 debut for "Columbia Film Noir Classics III'' a followup to DVD sets issued by Sony at retail in 2009 and 2010. This one includes "My Name is Julia Ross'' (1949) with George Macreadfy and Nina Foch; Mickey Rooney and Dianne Foster in "Drive a Crooked Road'' (1955), Broderick Crawford in "The Mob'' (1951), "Tight Spot'' (1955) starring Ginger Rogers and Brian Keith and "The Burglar'' (1956) with Dan Duryea and Jayne Mansfield.
Yes, yes, yes! Tight Spot, the only one I've seen, isn't very good (almost a TV episode), but the others I've been long waiting for, especially The Burglar.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 10, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »

Just saw this posted on another board:Yes, yes, yes! Tight Spot, the only one I've seen, isn't very good (almost a TV episode), but the others I've been long waiting for, especially The Burglar.

Good news.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 16, 2011, 03:58:34 PM »

More exciting news (as reported at The Digital Bits):
Twilight Time has Inferno (1953, Robert Ryan) in its plans for an eventual release. There's no date set as yet, however. More concrete Twilight Time news, however, comes in the form of the announcement that the specialty label has struck a deal with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to license and release classic films from the Sony-owned Columbia Pictures library in high-definition Blu-ray editions. In line with Twilight Time's innovative limited series concept, just 3000 units of each title will be produced, aimed at the collector/classic film aficionado market, and available exclusively online through www.screenarchives.com, the largest U.S. independent distributor of specialty soundtracks. The November 8th Blu-ray debut of director Cy Enfield's and special effects master Ray Harryhausen's 1961 science fiction/fantasy classic, Mysterious Island, will be followed by a new release on the first Tuesday of each month. Some of the other titles planned for the near future (through the early part of 2012) are Picnic, Bell Book and Candle, Pal Joey, Bite the Bullet, Major Dundee, and The Big Heat. Meanwhile, in the label's regular series of Fox DVD releases on the second Tuesday of the month, My Cousin Rachel (1952, Olivia De Havilland) was released on September 13th and Stagecoach (1966, Bing Crosby) is planned for October 11th. In the pipeline also are The Left Hand of God (1955, Humphrey Bogart) and Rapture (1965, Dean Stockwell).

Inferno, a good film in color (and sometimes 3D), can be considered a Near Noir. And if I'm reading that info right, we're going to be getting a Blu-ray of The Big Heat.

The biggest news, though, is the coming Blu-ray release of Major Dundee (this should probably go in the Dundee thread, but, oh well). Not only is the disc itself news, but the fact that it will be released by TT in a limited run means it will surely be priced at 39.99 plus a shipping charge. In other words, well beyond Groggy's financial means. By the time he gets his Blu-ray act together, the disc will only be available from collectors markets for 10 times its original price. I'm gonna enjoy all the more having my copy, knowing Groggy has forever missed his chance. Do things get anymore noir than that?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 20, 2011, 08:10:42 AM »

The Big Combo (1955) 9/10 upon third viewing (after a lot of Noirs under the belt that previous) gets better each viewing.
The Scar (Hollow Triumph) (1948) another John Alton lit & photographed Noir looks great, story was OK, will review later look for it in Film Noir Index, 7/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 21, 2011, 07:38:52 AM »

Mask Of Dimitrios (1944) 7/10 will review later  Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 21, 2011, 02:18:58 PM »

will review later  Afro
Looking forward to it.

Where'd you see it?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 21, 2011, 03:17:43 PM »

Mask Of Dimitrios TCM 8PM last night.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 28, 2011, 06:10:05 AM »

And here it is:
...Why would Macek and Basinger fail to recognize Joe is changed by Ann? Why would they believe Ann accommodates herself to Joe instead of the other way around? Both authors’ views are based on a hardboiled framework for interpreting film noir. Accordingly, they analyze Ann in terms of Joe, because he’s the central character and he’s a tough guy. In fact, however, both Ann and Pat convince Joe to do as they wish. Pat stops Joe from seeking revenge on Rick. Ann gets Joe to be decent to the hunted man.

Furthermore, it’s right that Joe does what the women want. The fine person he was as a kid is still within him as a man. He was a poor boy, and those life circumstances were a raw deal. But when Ann tells Joe about everyone’s “daily fight,” she profoundly affects him. She gets even deeper under his skin.

After Fantail calls him a “jerk,” Joe says, thinking of Ann, “Called that a lot lately. Much better language.” Joe’s love for Ann and her influence on him are what change him into a different man. On the ship he tells Pat he wants to “start fresh, decent.” As Pat listens to Joe talk about having “a business…a house…[and] kids,” she realizes his dreams are meant for Ann. (In a moment Pat reveals to Joe that “Ann’s with Rick!”)

When Joe sends Ann away after they spend the night together, she thinks he prefers Pat. So until he rescues her, she doesn’t know how much he loves her. Dying in her arms, he tells her not to cry, “I got my breath of fresh air. You….” Joe knew he’d changed the way Ann wanted, which is why Pat sees there’s “a kind of happiness on his face.”

Macek and Basinger’s views fail because to interpret Raw Deal, based on what really happens, requires jettisoning a hardboiled framework.

Macek finds faults with Raw Deal when he contrasts it to a normative ideal of film noir, which he derives from a hardboiled framework. He says, “The ironic narration provided by Pat develops the romantic undercurrent evident in many noir films. It remains for the true noir film to debase any sense of pity or love that may be present, replacing it with a tough, cynical nature.”

Similarly, Robert Ottoson complains, “The only thing that keeps Raw Deal from being an exemplary film noir is its soft center. The love that O’Keefe has for Hunt is not only far-fetched, but Hunt’s excessive moralizing is not in keeping with the film’s overall quality of brutality and pessimism” (A Reference Guide to the American Film Noir, 1940-1958).

Although there’s no happy ending in Raw Deal, the love story is a deal-breaker for Macek and Ottoson, preventing it from being “true” or “exemplary” film noir.

Yet “moralizing” is an inaccurate term to describe Ann’s criticisms of Joe at the state park and outside the lodge. Furthermore, it’s the agonizing romantic triangle that makes Raw Deal so extremely noir. Joe’s physical conflict with Rick (and his henchmen, like Fantail) comes in a distant second to Joe’s emotional struggles with Ann and Pat. Indeed, the film packs a greater wallop by showing Joe’s repudiation of “a tough, cynical nature.”

Macek, Basinger, Ottoson, and many others still today, hold fast to a hardboiled framework about film noir. Raw Deal is a far better film than strict adherents to a hardboiled framework are able to acknowledge. Through a crime and love story that is the equal in its adultness with the best of French poetic realism, not to mention American film noir, Raw Deal shows the heart-wrenching despair men and women endure and the soul-deadening compromises they give in to. Not only the extraordinary visual style but also the exceptionally tense interplay of mature romantic relationships place Raw Deal among the best cinema, as well as film noir.
Wow! Who is this guy?

Just watched a DVD of this last night, the guy is spot on, but I never read any of the above mistaken analysis' of it and what he says is exactly the way to see it. Its a great Noir and Alton again delivers that "sewerscope" cinematography. Raw Deal 10/10

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 29, 2011, 06:31:15 AM »

More exciting news (as reported at The Digital Bits):
Inferno, a good film in color (and sometimes 3D), can be considered a Near Noir. And if I'm reading that info right, we're going to be getting a Blu-ray of The Big Heat.

The biggest news, though, is the coming Blu-ray release of Major Dundee (this should probably go in the Dundee thread, but, oh well). Not only is the disc itself news, but the fact that it will be released by TT in a limited run means it will surely be priced at 39.99 plus a shipping charge. In other words, well beyond Groggy's financial means. By the time he gets his Blu-ray act together, the disc will only be available from collectors markets for 10 times its original price. I'm gonna enjoy all the more having my copy, knowing Groggy has forever missed his chance. Do things get anymore noir than that?

Just saw this post. Great news about Major Dundee and The Big Heat Smiley (not a horror fan so won't be picking up Inferno)

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 29, 2011, 06:35:45 AM »

Just watched a DVD of this last night, the guy is spot on, but I never read any of the above mistaken analysis' of it and what he says is exactly the way to see it. Its a great Noir and Alton again delivers that "sewerscope" cinematography. Raw Deal 10/10

What DVD did you watch? I have the Sony Music one (reviewed here http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews15/raw_deal_dvd_review.htm) and wish the print quality was better to fully appreciate those Alton images.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »

What DVD did you watch?

Raw Deal was a Sonny "Gangsters Guns & Floozies" Collection DVD, bare bones with no commentary, picked it up used for $4 could definitely use a better release. Probably the same one you have.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 29, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »

Yup, same one.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM