Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 02:19:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 366714 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: November 05, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »

Sweet Smell of Success (1957) Saw it on Friday courtesy of TCM, its very good excellent in fact . Lancaster and Curtis are superb in their roles as sleazy columnist and press agent respectively. The New York of the fifties is captured perfectly.  I'll have to own this one and it looks like the criterion release is the way to go. 10/10

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:57:42 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 05, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »

He Walked By Night (1948)

This movie is divided in 2: on the one hand you have the police procedural part which is boring as hell, on the other you have the real noir part featuring Basehart, even photographically different from   the other. The underground tunnel part anticipates the third man of a year (but I seem to remember that something similar was made already in a mabuse. but maybe i'm wrong). So all in all I give it 6\10. 

I agree the police procedural is very slow, and the true noir is better, the DVD copy I saw was very poor, it seemed pale. A higher contrast release is needed, I'll give it a 6.5/10 an extra .5 for John Alton's cinematography.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 05, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

Saw it on Friday courtesy of TCM, its very good excellent in fact . Lancaster and Curtis are superb in their roles as sleazy columnist and press agent respectively. The New York of the fifties is captured perfectly.  I'll have to own this one and it looks like the criterion release is the way to go. 10/10

I saw it too a quarter of century ago. I have this dvd:

and I guess you don't need criterion.

BTW, the title is Sweet Smell of Success.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 07, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »

I saw it too a quarter of century ago. I have this dvd:

and I guess you don't need criterion.

BTW, the title is Sweet Smell of Success.

The Criterion was 1/2 off so I picked it up yesterday  Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 08, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »

The Criterion was 1/2 off so I picked it up yesterday  Afro
The blu-ray looks fabulous. Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 15, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »

I count 6 collaborations between Mann and Alton.

One of the wonderful partnerships in cinema.

1947: T-Men
1948: Raw Deal
1948: He Waked by Night (Mann uncredited)
1949: Border Incident
1949: Reign of Terror
1950: Devil's Doorway

Has anyone seen the last two of these? "Reign of Terror" apparently looks and feels like a film noir except is set during the French Revolution, while "Devil's Doorway" is a western.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 15, 2011, 11:52:06 AM »

Devil's Doorway has a very noirish photography. And is a very good western. Probably underrated nowadays.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 15, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »

"Reign of Terror" apparently looks and feels like a film noir except is set during the French Revolution
I'd say it looks like a noir but doesn't feel like one. There is no substitute for cars, guns, fedoras, and all that goes with a 20th Century urban environment. Others feel differently about the matter.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 17, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »

They both sound like ones to watch.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 17, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

The blu-ray looks fabulous. Afro

Indeed it does. The booklet with the excerpt from MacKendrick's book made me go out and by the whole book. It's a very interesting read in places.

Considering the great dialogue throughout, it's fascinating how MacKendrick talks about Sweet Smell of Success needing to be able to work at its fundamental level without reliance on dialogue.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 22, 2011, 04:59:06 AM »

Noirs Today!!!

Film Noir "The Window" on TCM today at 7:15 AM in about 1/2 hour.
"Lightning Strikes Twice" at 12PM
"Down Three Dark Streets" at 3:15 PM
"Sweet Smell of Success" at 8PM

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 22, 2011, 06:48:15 AM »

Noirs Today!!!

Film Noir "The Window" on TCM today at 7:15 AM in about 1/2 hour.
"Lightning Strikes Twice" at 12PM
"Down Three Dark Streets" at 3:15 PM
"Sweet Smell of Success" at 8PM

Thanks for the info  Afro

I had set my dvr to record some TCM movies today, but after I saw your info, I set it to record almost  the entire day. Generally, I record every movie (that i haven't yet seen) if it says the genre is a "Western," "Drama," "Thriller," or "Action/Adventure" (the only genres I like). So today, I have it set to record every one except for one (Invitation, playing from 1:45 - 3:15; it says that's a "Romance."  Roll Eyes)

TCM is the greatest thing to ever happen in the history of television  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 22, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »

Thanks for the info  Afro

I had set my dvr to record some TCM movies today, but after I saw your info, I set it to record almost  the entire day. Generally, I record every movie (that i haven't yet seen) if it says the genre is a "Western," "Drama," "Thriller," or "Action/Adventure" (the only genres I like). So today, I have it set to record every one except for one (Invitation, playing from 1:45 - 3:15; it says that's a "Romance."  Roll Eyes)

TCM is the greatest thing to ever happen in the history of television  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Its a very good resource  Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 22, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »

Its a very good resource  Afro

The greatest!

FMC does not broadcast in hd, and is only Fox stuff, so not nearly the spectacular collection of TCM. AMC has commercials and shows everything in 16:9, so the aspect ratio is screwed up. The premium channels show all new stuff. Encore Westerns really disappoints me (IT shows everything in 4:3, so I pretty much can't watch any movies post-1950 or 1960 cuz they'd be pan n' scanned. And they often shows tv shows, which I am not interested in, and generally show bad movies, and the same ones over and over.

TCM is BEAUTIFUL! AWESOME MOVIES all the time, in hd and original aspect ratio. (I also enjoy watching the Robert Osbourne pieces, though I never watch the pre-shows till after I watch the movie, cuz I never wanna know ANYTHING about the plot beforehand). And I get to see so many movies that are unavailable on any other format. I LOOOOVVVVVEEEE TCM! This may seem like a useless post to y'all, but when you love someone, you never tire of describing every aspect of them. Precisely how and why every part of them is so beautiful and so much better than anyone else. Well my love is TCM. YYYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Funny, TCM (along with to a far lesser extent, TNT and TBS), is the only worthwhile thing that vile thing known as Ted Turner did in his life  Wink

TCM IS AWESOME!!!

p.s. I have not had any caffeine yet this morning

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:10:28 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 23, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »

Dark City - The Film Noir by Spencer Selby  published by McFarland Classics 1997 The book is broken down into an Introduction then 25 notable Film Noir which are themselves broken down into two parts for each film, a detailed plot summery and an interpretive essay, then a filmography of close to 500 films noir with their credits and a basic story line.  So far I've waded through 12 of the notable "films noir". Here are the 25:

The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Double Indemnity (1944)
The Woman In The Window (1944)
Laura (1944)
Detour (1945)
Scarlet Street (1945)
Gilda (1946)
The Killers (1946)
Undercurrent (1946)
The Man I Love (1946)
Brute Force (1947)
The Unsuspected (1947)
Out Of The Past (1947)
Criss Cross (1949)
Caught (1949)
The Reckless Moment (1949)
The File On Thelma Jordon (1949)
D.O.A. (1950)
In A Lonely Place (1950)
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1950)
Dark City (1950)
Ace In The Hole (1951)
Detective Story (1951)
The Big Combo (1956)

Whether they are notable or not is debatable, my personal list would jettison The Maltese Falcon, Undercurrent (which was atrocious), Brute Force which is a prison picture (they are all basically the same) and Dark City, I haven't seen The Man I Love, The Unsuspected, Caught, The Reckless Moment, Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye, or The File on Thelma Jordon. In a Lonely Place I'm sort of ambivalent about.

The best part of the book is the Films Noir listing, and the Appendixes, the Off Genre and Other Films Noir (some of these I personally call Near Noirs) and the Chronology of Film Noir which goes from 1940-1959.

Its a good way to keep track of what you've seen my total film noir viewing is 138.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:45:21 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM