Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:05:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 366030 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:37 PM »

Dark City - The Film Noir by Spencer Selby  published by McFarland Classics 1997
That must be a reprint. The book was originally published in 1984.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 23, 2011, 11:40:43 PM »

Whether they are notable or not is debatable, my personal list would jettison The Maltese Falcon, Undercurrent (which was atrocious), Brute Force which is a prison picture (they are all basically the same) and Dark City, I haven't seen The Man I Love, The Unsuspected, Caught, The Reckless Moment, Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye, or The File on Thelma Jordon. In a Lonely Place I'm sort of ambivalent about.

The Man I Love (w/ Ida Lupino) should probably be considered a straight drama rather than a noir; The Unsuspected starts out well, then gets sillier and sillier (the basic plot was reused on TV--in a Perry Mason episode, for one, but I think it was repackaged several times); The Unsuspected does have a lot of cool noir photography; Caught is a woman's picture, not bad, with Robert Ryan and James Mason, but not, IMHO, a noir; The Reckless Moment, another one with Mason, could be considered a noir: it's not really nasty enough, though, and character motivations seem, at times, to beggar belief; The File on Thelma Jordan is a solid noir, with Barbara Stanwyck leading Wendell Corey up the garden path--can't wait to see this one again. I've never seen Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye, but I understand it's a gangster picture, which, to my mind, disqualifies it as a noir.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:42:33 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 24, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »

That must be a reprint. The book was originally published in 1984.

You are right just checked its a reprint.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 24, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »

The Man I Love (w/ Ida Lupino) should probably be considered a straight drama rather than a noir; The Unsuspected starts out well, then gets sillier and sillier (the basic plot was reused on TV--in a Perry Mason episode, for one, but I think it was repackaged several times); The Unsuspected does have a lot of cool noir photography; Caught is a woman's picture, not bad, with Robert Ryan and James Mason, but not, IMHO, a noir; The Reckless Moment, another one with Mason, could be considered a noir: it's not really nasty enough, though, and character motivations seem, at times, to beggar belief; The File on Thelma Jordan is a solid noir, with Barbara Stanwyck leading Wendell Corey up the garden path--can't wait to see this one again. I've never seen Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye, but I understand it's a gangster picture, which, to my mind, disqualifies it as a noir.

Ok, thanks, But I just don't understand Selby's criterior in picking 25 notable films noir seems a bit arbitrary especially after reading your descriptions of those I haven't seen.

I think this is always going to be a problem with Noir's and the classification of them, one author/person is going to emphasize the alienation & obsession of the characters another the lighting and style, still others the diegetic world the story enfolds in.

I feel about the same way that you do about Gangster films with Prison Films (of course they are dark that are in a prison, lol).

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »

A heads up, Red Light & White Heat back to back starting at 6:00AM TCM Tomorrow! Wednesday.  Afro Afro Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »

Flaxy Martin (1949) caught parts of this will have to re-watch, with Virginia Mayo, Zachary Scott, Dorothy Malone, and Elisha Cook Jr.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 03, 2011, 04:06:36 AM »

TCM has films noir starting at 8:00PM tonight Saturday "Out Of The Past" and followed by another at 12PM "While the City Sleeps"  Afro Afro Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 10, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »

For 16 January:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, The Film Foundation and Turner Classic Movies partner on the third collection in the series, Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics III. In this volume, five films, fully restored and remastered, are showcased featuring My Name is Julia Ross, The Mob, Tight Spot, Drive a Crooked Road and The Burglar.

Film Noir Classics III hurls you into a shadowy world of hit men, kidnappers, corrupt cops, bank robbers, mob informers, femme fatales and hard-luck losers starting with Nina Foch as an unemployed secretary lured to an isolated mansion by insidious characters in MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS (1945). In one of his most dynamic roles, Broderick Crawford plays a police detective who goes undercover as a dock worker in New Orleans to expose THE MOB (1951). Ginger Rogers, cast against type, is a tough, uncooperative witness in a criminal case threatened by her association with gangsters in TIGHT SPOT (1955). In DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD (1964), Mickey Rooney gives a fine, underrated performance as a race car enthusiast blackmailed into driving the getaway car at a bank robbery. Based on a pulp fiction novel by David Goodis, THE BURGLAR (1957) stars Dan Duryea as a cunning jewel thief who recruits Jayne Mansfield, Mickey Shaughnessy and Peter Capell for one final heist before retiring.

Presented for the first time on DVD, the five restored and remastered films included in Film Noir Classics III represent key films in the genre by such masters of the form as Joseph H. Lewis, Phil Karlson and Robert Parrish."

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 11, 2011, 03:03:10 AM »

Seen any of them yet dj?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 11, 2011, 03:27:07 AM »

I comment on that earlier in the thread (go back 2 pages). The one I've seen, Tight Spot, isn't very good. But the others are new to me and promise to be better.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 11, 2011, 03:42:04 AM »

thanks

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 12, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »

The People Against O'Hara. Savant makes the case for and against it being a noir: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3748peop.html

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 12, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »

The People Against O'Hara. Savant makes the case for and against it being a noir: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3748peop.html

I just watched Detective Story (watching it I remember seeing it before long ago) another ensemble film and was surprised that it is listed as a noir in Selby. I suppose the case can be made for Douglas being the classic obsessed character, and the subject matter of the abortion doctor is pretty dark, but there is negligible noir lighting and camera angles. I guess a not visually noir noir, ;-) 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »

You should read Savant's piece linked above as it includes a pretty good understanding of what constitutes film noir. I haven't seen Detective Story, but it doesn't sound like it qualifies as a noir on any grounds.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 03, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »

The Steel Trap (1952 Director: Andrew L. Stone, with Joseph Cotten, Teresa Wright and Jonathan Hale. The story is about an obsessed bank executive who steals cash from a vault and hightails it with his wife (who doesn't know what he's done) towards Brazil over a long weekend, with various procedural obstacles put in his way the film is entertaining but not very Noir. Some nice shots of TWA Connies taking off and landing held my interest for personal reasons. 7/10

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM