Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:46:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 367897 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: January 28, 2012, 06:26:33 PM »

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, The Film Foundation and Turner Classic Movies partner on the third collection in the series, Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics III. In this volume, five films, fully restored and remastered, are showcased featuring My Name is Julia Ross, The Mob, Tight Spot, Drive a Crooked Road and The Burglar.

Weirdly, amazon is still not showing this. TCM's website has it, and says it's shipping 14 Feb. But they aren't offering much of a discount. I sure hope this isn't an exclusive release.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 28, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »

Weirdly, amazon is still not showing this. TCM's website has it, and says it's shipping 14 Feb. But they aren't offering much of a discount. I sure hope this isn't an exclusive release.

Agreed and there is some comment on problems with "backorders" on Back Alley Forums:

http://www.backalleynoir.com/showthread.php?11-Upcoming-Noir-DVDs&p=9878&viewfull=1#post9878

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 29, 2012, 03:21:54 AM »

Thanks, CJ. According to a post at that link, there's a promotion code (TCMNOIR20) which takes 20% off. But with shipping, the cost is still $40.99 (and maybe they add sales tax on top of that?).

That thread also had some other useful news: the Warner Archive has just released 4 Bogarts, including the very-noir "Conflict". At some point I'll probably be getting that.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 29, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »

Here's a useful site, run by a guy who obviously has a lot of time on his hands: http://reelsf.com/

CJ and D&D, one of these years we're gonna have to saddle up and take a ride out to Frisco.....

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »

Here's a useful site, run by a guy who obviously has a lot of time on his hands: http://reelsf.com/

CJ and D&D, one of these years we're gonna have to saddle up and take a ride out to Frisco.....

We gotta go to to Almeria first  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 29, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »

Cool Site  Afro

We could probably do the same for NYC & New York State Noir locations,  Azn

I know where the police station in "The Window" is, Bogards Night Club location from "Sweet Smell of Success", the Bank hold up site in "Odds Against Tomorrow".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 30, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »

Well, NY has so many, once you start, the project would consume your whole life.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »

Well, NY has so many, once you start, the project would consume your whole life.

I believe film noir does consume cj's whole life  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 31, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »

The man who produced the GBU timeline? Naaaahhhh.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 01, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »

I believe film noir does consume cj's whole life  Wink

I'm definitely on a Film Noir kick lately, I've sort of exhausted the Western run I was on (for about 4 years) I started getting diminishing returns on Westerns, think I've seen most of the best ones.

Noirs I've only seen maybe 150 + or - Selby lists almost 500, but I doubt there are that many Hard Core Noirs, this "Blackout" book I'm reading may put me on to a few more

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »

I'm definitely on a Film Noir kick lately, I've sort of exhausted the Western run I was on (for about 4 years) I started getting diminishing returns on Westerns, think I've seen most of the best ones.

Noirs I've only seen maybe 150 + or - Selby lists almost 500, but I doubt there are that many Hard Core Noirs, this "Blackout" book I'm reading may put me on to a few more

Considering that Westerns aren't made anymore, I've made peace with the fact that the day will come when I'll have no more good ones to watch  Sad

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »

I presume I've seen as many (or maybe even more) western (american ones, I mean) as you but I don't have the impression that I've seen most of the good ones. I think that many good ones are hard to get, that's all. And there's a lot of passable stuff which makes good watching though not ranking in the 8\10-10\10 range.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 02, 2012, 05:30:23 AM »

I presume I've seen as many (or maybe even more) western (american ones, I mean) as you but I don't have the impression that I've seen most of the good ones. I think that many good ones are hard to get, that's all. And there's a lot of passable stuff which makes good watching though not ranking in the 8\10-10\10 range.

For a while there every time I'd read a good recommendation for a Western and tracked it down I've been disappointed, they are watchable, but tedious. But I'd be open to suggestions on GOOD ones.  Afro Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »

O, to be in Seattle this month: http://www.siff.net/cinema/seriesDetail.aspx?FID=268

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »

We need this in NYC  Afro

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM