Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:15:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 378948 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 26, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »

Ossessione (1943)  The Visconti's debut it is still the best version of The Postman Always Rings Twice. I don't like Girotti (no relationship to Terence Hill): too slick for the part. But Clara Calamai, whatever you may think of Turner and Lange, is by far the sexiest of the three. There's a lot of gay not so (sub-) text (of course, being a Visconti) that I don't think was in the other two versions, as far as I can remember. 8\10

Watched it recently, agree about Clara Calamai being the best 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 28, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »

Massimo Girotti doesn't do a lot for me but I can see why some women would find him attractive.

The scene near the end where Girotti and Calamai kiss was one of the clips included in the kissing montage near the end of Cinema Paradiso.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:59:51 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 28, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »

Massimo Girotti doesn't do a lot for me but I can see why some women would find him attractive.

Are you a woman?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 29, 2013, 03:16:29 AM »

Are you a woman?

No - I'm not a woman or gay but I do think Massimo Girotti does a good job with this role.  Not sure about his hairy shoulders but his unshaven look would be quite fashionable today and there's no messing about with courtship. There's an animal attraction between Calamai and Girotti and they hop into bed as soon as the husband is away from the house.

A couple of recent posts about Girotti on IMDb:

Oh my god, hot:  "I just watched Visconti's Obsession. He just screams sex. As a bonus, he's actually a good actor."

Oh my god: "The best italian actor....he is superlative in Teorema! I love him. Also superb as Gino in Ossessione."

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:28:05 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 30, 2013, 02:47:54 AM »

Grin

well that post sounded pretty queer to me, when a guy says, I can see how women wanna bang him, then I wondered if maybe you were a woman. I sort of just assume everyone around here is a guy, marmota-b and Jill are women but I ain't seen them post much lately; I don't know if any regular posters now are female?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:51:09 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 05, 2013, 04:22:31 PM »

Maybe not really a noir (though it is listed in Shelby), but Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye is coming to blu: http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-Goodbye-Blu-ray-James-Cagney/dp/B00DO0MDSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373062561&sr=8-1&keywords=kiss+tomorrow+goodbye+blu-ray

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 17, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »

The Big Combo is coming to Blu: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11676

The film is not a favorite of mine ("Any idea where your husband might be hiding, Mrs. Kingpin?"/"Well, there is this one secret airstrip he sometimes uses ...."  Roll Eyes ), but it has never yet been served well on home video. If the reviews of the Blu are positive, I might spring for it.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 17, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »

Woo hoo. Talking of great film noir scenes, how about the iconic shot at the end of this one:

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 21, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »

Just saw No Orchids for Miss Blandish (1948) on TCM.

Has anyone else seen this movie?  It was hilarious and insane and ludicrous in its own hilarious/insane/ludicrous way. A British film, made in Britain, supposedly set in New York, where hardly anyone but the leading lady has a British accent; except the leading gangster, every one is played by a Brit, yet they are all trying to do these parody tough guy/film noir accents, kind of like all those gangsters in Little Caesar; in that movie, I found everyone except Edward G. Robinson to be terribly annoying; but in No Orchids for Miss Blandish, I found it to be hilarious. There's one cheap hood in particular whom I could have sworn was Leo Gorcey of the Dead End Kids; (he's actually an actor named Richard Nielson, and I read that he has an interview on the dvd's bonus features).
I forwarded through the nightclub acts as I do in almost every movie, but there was one act that was hilarious where one guy imitates Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre - part of what makes it so hilarious is that the guy, though he's good, uses an American accent when copying Greenstreet; I guess the British actor was so focused on having an American accent for this movie, that he forgot to switch back to British when he was copying Greenstreet  Grin
I guess I'd rate this like a 6/10. I don't know if the movie is trying to be ridiculously parody-ically funny or if it just comes out that way, but if you like gangster/noir films, and films that attempt to copy them, this one will give you a good laugh. Catch it next time it's on TCM.

btw, it seems like this movie was incredibly controversial at the time of its release in Britain. I've been reading the critics' reviews linked to on IMDB; seems like the critics are unsure of what to think of/view/classify this movie  Grin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040647/externalreviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:20:50 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 21, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »

Just saw No Orchids for Miss Blandish (1948) on TCM.

Has anyone else seen this movie?  It was hilarious and insane and ludicrous in its own hilarious/insane/ludicrous way. A British film, made in Britain, supposedly set in New York, where hardly anyone but the leading lady has a British accent; except the leading gangster, every one is played by a Brit, yet they are all trying to do these parody tough guy/film noir accents, kind of like all those gangsters in Little Caesar; in that movie, I found everyone except Edward G. Robinson to be terribly annoying; but in No Orchids for Miss Blandish, I found it to be hilarious. There's one cheap hood in particular whom I could have sworn was Leo Gorcey of the Dead End Kids; (he's actually an actor named Richard Nielson, and I read that he has an interview on the dvd's bonus features).
I forwarded through the nightclub acts as I do in almost every movie, but there was one act that was hilarious where one guy imitates Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre - part of what make sit so hilarious is that the guy, though he's good, uses an American accent when copying Greenstreet; I guess the British actor was so focused on having an American accent for this movie, that he forgot to switch back to British when he was copying Greenstreet  Grin
I guess I'd rate this like a 6/10. I don't know if the movie is trying to be ridiculously parody-ically funny or if it just comes out that way, but if you like gangster/noir films, and films that attempt to copy them, this one will give you a good laugh. Catch it next time it's on TCM.

btw, it seems like this movie was incredibly controversial at the time of its release in Britain. I've been reading the critics' reviews linked to on IMDB; seems like the critics are unsure of what to think of/view/classify this movie  Grin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040647/externalreviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

I had this on in the bg while on line, it didn't impress enough to get my attention very much.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:57:32 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 28, 2013, 11:03:40 PM »

I'm surprised you didn't post this DJ

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hitch-Hiker-Blu-ray/79670/

Good news, will definitely buy this

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 15, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews15/kiss_tomorrow_goodbye_dvd_review.htm

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 15, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

I'm surprised you didn't post this DJ

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hitch-Hiker-Blu-ray/79670/

Good news, will definitely buy this

I did not like The Hitch-Hiker.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 19, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »

Cry Danger on Blu for Oct. 15!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 07, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »

Man, do I want a copy of this! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_59/two_men_in_manhattan_blu-ray.htm

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM