Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 07:44:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 367781 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: September 08, 2013, 05:15:57 AM »

Yea, good.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 25, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »

Plunder Road Blu in da house!

And Beaver's got the luscious caps: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_59/plunder_road_blu-ray.htm

Man, do I like a widescreen b&w crime film!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:34 AM »

Appointment with Danger (1951) Director, Lewis Allen with Alan Ladd, Phyllis Calvert, Paul Steward, Jan Sterling, Jack Webb, Stacy Harris, Harry Morgan, David Wolfe, Dan Riss, Geraldine Wall, and George J. Lewis.

Great opening sequence of a body disposal in the pouring rain I was hooked from the get go.  Also some nice railroad footage and industrial landscapes of Gary Indiana steel mills.  Afro Afro Afro

Alan Ladd is Al Goddard, a USPS special investigator sent to Gary, Ind., to solve a postal detective's murder. A young nun Sister Augustine (Phyllis Calvert) is the sole witness. With her aid Ladd learns the identity of the men and uncovers the gang's plot to pull off a million-dollar mail heist. Jan Sterling plays gang leaders floozy jazz loving girlfriend Dodie La Verne. Jack Webb plays a loose cannon creep and Harry Morgan a slow witted goon. Very enjoyable 8/10.

This movie gets a 5/10

Yes, there are some nice locations, but otherwise it's a crappy movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 02, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »

Blu-ray.com gives high marks to The Big Combo Blu: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Big-Combo-Blu-ray/78684/#Review

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: October 05, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »

Savant loves The Big Combo, the film and the new disc: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4309comb.html

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 12, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »

CJ, the only 3-D noir, Man in the Dark (w/ O'Brien and Totter) is coming to Blu from Twilight Time early next year. I've never seen it, but a friend of mine caught it at a showing in Seattle during this year's Noir City event. He said it was pretty good. I'm guessing we'll be able to watch it in 2-D and still enjoy it . . . .

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 13, 2013, 05:24:57 AM »

CJ, the only 3-D noir, Man in the Dark (w/ O'Brien and Totter) is coming to Blu from Twilight Time early next year. I've never seen it, but a friend of mine caught it at a showing in Seattle during this year's Noir City event. He said it was pretty good. I'm guessing we'll be able to watch it in 2-D and still enjoy it . . . .

I thought I, The Jury with Biff Elliot was also 3D originally...

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 14, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »

711 Ocean Drive (1950)  Edmond O'Brien 6.5/10
A telephone repairman gets mixed up with illegal gambling.

More of a crime drama than a noir I think .

Continued here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg142803#msg142803

I saw it on TCM; I give it a 6/10

And btw, I couldn't stand that last line of preaching by the narrator, who tells us that when we make what we thing is "just a $2 bet," we are supporting mobsters and all their illegal activities, etc. Well you know what, jackass, the only reason that's true is because gambling is illegal! If you made it illegal for people to eat apples, then gangsters would sell apples and apple-buyers would be supporting criminal activity and violence and murders and all that goes along with "vice." And you legalized gambling, then when people make a bet, they wouldn't be supporting gangsters. Just like what happened with alcohol with Prohibition.
In fact, the movie seems to understand this at one point, when the gangsters say that if gambling would be legalized, their business would be threatened. But somehow that message didn't get through to the narrator, who just can't seem to understand that these gangs and violence and all the nastiness that goes along with a black market only happens cuz the jackass government forces things onto the black market.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 18, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »

The Plunder Road Blu is duly celebrated @ Blu-ray.com:
Plunder Road is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of Olive Films with an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 2.35:1. Aside from some relatively minor and completely expected age related damage, this is one of the more lustrous black and white offerings we've seen from Olive. Contrast is very strong and consistent, blacks are impressively deep, and gray scale is nicely modulated. The image is very well defined, with fine detail offering nice accountings of weathered faces and the admittedly low key costumes. Haller's gorgeous cinematography really captures a sense of time and place, from the lesser traveled roads of the American southwest to the crowded urban cityscape of Los Angeles.

I have the disc and will add my superfluous endorsement: Boy, howdy!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 19, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »

Greetings, Noir Heads! Although we NYC-centric lovers of black & white crime films of the 40s and 50s have yet to get our own Noir City event (as several other cities have), we're getting something almost as good: Triple Noir Saturday at MoMA!!!

On Saturday, Nov. 2, in quick succession the following will be screened:

2.30 Crashout (1955)
5.00 The Sound of Fury (1950)
7.30 Alias Nick Beal (1949)

The Czar himself, Eddie Muller, will be on hand to introduce each film! MoMA members (me included) get in free. Non-members pay one entry fee for all the films for that day. Here's some helpful info: http://www.moma.org/visit/plan/#filmticketing

Be there, or you just don't care!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:15:21 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 19, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »

Greetings, Noir Heads! Although we NYC-centric lovers of black & white crime films of the 40s and 50s have yet to get our own Noir City event (as several other cities have), we're getting something almost as good: Triple Noir Saturday at MoMA!!!

On Saturday, Nov. 2, in quick succession the following will be screened:

2.30 Crashout (1955)
5.00 The Sound of Fury (1950)
7.30 Alias Nick Beal (1949)

The Czar himself, Eddie Muller, will be on hand to introduce each film! MoMA members (me included) get in free. Non-members pay one entry fee for all the films for that day. Here's some helpful info: http://www.moma.org/visit/plan/#filmticketing

Be there, or you just don't care!

Sounds awesome.... unfortunately, I can't go on Saturday, but I'm sure it will be great

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 20, 2013, 05:03:50 AM »

I'll be down South from the 28th to the 4th of Nov.  Cry

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 22, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »

It's a noir world, baby. And you two losers just qualified for the Double Shaft award.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 22, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »

It's a noir world, baby. And you two losers just qualified for the Double Shaft award.

Thanks.  Sad

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 22, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »

Side Street (1950) D: Anthony Mann. Farley Granger, Cathy O'Donnell, James Craig, Paul Kelly, Edmon Ryan, Paul Harvey, Jean Hagen, Charles McGraw, Adele Jergens, Harry Bellaver, Whit Bissell. Part-time mailman Granger impulsively stealing $30,000 of blackmail money from a ring led by a crooked lawer, and finding himself caught between the crooks and the cops.

Holy Shit another great NYC Noir that I've never heard of, this one with the benefit of a big budget that Kubrick didn’t have for the “Killers Kiss”. Great atmospheric location shots juxtaposed with seedy apartment interiors. A highlight is the grand finale cab vs. cop cruiser chase, through the narrow, deserted, Sunday morning streets of lower Manhattan, the high angle overhead shots make look like rats running around an elaborate maze, equals the chase in McQueen’s “Bullitt “ in a different way. 10/10

just saw this, yes the locations are great, but that's just about all the movie has going for it.

I've never liked Farley Granger - only time I ever thought he was ok was in They Live by Night - I LOVED Cathy O'Donnell in that movie, but in Side Street, she is basically in bed all the time, it's a waste of her talent.

Supporting cast is mostly good, besides Jean Hagen who was given a great role but blew it, she is awful.

Mostly for locations, I give Side Street a 7/10

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:45:49 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM