Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:33:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 381117 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: October 31, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/dvd_reviews_58/film_noir_classics_4.htm

Apparently there's an authoring problem with the discs; depending on your system and/or screen size, you may notice juddering.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 03, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »

Czar-of-noir Eddie Muller brought three 35mm prints to MoMA on Saturday. Here’s what I saw:

Crashout
(1955) 8/10 – Several cons break jail: William Bendix, Arthur Kennedy, Luther Adler, Gene Evans, Marshall Thompson, and William Talman. The plan is to lay low in an abandoned mine near the prison, then move on after the heat is off. But ringleader Bendix gets shot during the escape and has trouble traveling. To ensure that his men won’t abandon him, Bendix promises to lead everyone to loot he’s got stashed from a robbery--$180,000. Anyone making the trip will be entitled to an equal share. Of course, as gang members are lost along the way, the value of the survivors’ shares keep going up. The picture then plays out as a game of attrition; score is kept by superimposing the image of a gang member’s police file and marking it DECEASED every time someone leaves the film.  There are many colorful exits.

Eddie says: “Watch for the scene on the train between Marshall Thompson and Gloria Talbott. It’s like a movie within the movie.”

Try And Get Me/The Sound of Fury (1950) 7/10. Frank Lovejoy is out of work, with a wife and kid to support. What’s to be done? Then one day he meets penny-ante crook Lloyd Bridges—and it’s all down  hill from there. This is a truly odd message picture—there’s a Stanley Kramer connection—in which one character routinely appears to spout the director’s (Cy Endfield’s) ideas about social justice. The film includes some really interesting things too: a five minute nightclub scene, filmed almost entirely with dutch angles; some amazing deep-focus photography throughout; a bizarre female character who suddenly appears late in the film to drive the plot; and a climax featuring a lot of what feels like hand-held footage. This is based on the same true story that inspired Fritz Lang’s Fury.

Eddie says, “The film, set in San Jose, CA, was shot on location in Phoenix. The lynch mob at the end is made up of students from Arizona State University.”

Alias Nick Beal (1949) 9/10. Faust meets All The King’s Men, but with laughs. A crusading D.A. (Thomas Mitchell) meets Nick Beal (Ray Milland) a political fixer with supernatural powers (Nick Beal, geddit? Nick as in “the Old Nick” and Beal as in Beelzebub. One of the film’s running gags has Nick appearing and disappearing in scenes without the aid of special effects—some of Milland’s entrances are truly—heh—diabolical.). Beal helps the D.A. obtain a conviction he desperately wants, but at the cost of violating the law and the man’s conscience. Little by little, Beal leads him away from virtue, and before long the D.A. is running for governor. Helping Beal keep Thomas Mitchell on the broad path to destruction is Audrey Totter, employed by Nick to drive a wedge between the D.A. and his wife (there’s a hilarious scene where Milland instructs Totter on how to vamp Mitchell). George Macready plays a clergyman who finds a way to ultimately thwart Mr. Beal. The film was directed by John Farrow (The Big Clock).

Eddie says, “This is a film for Audrey Totter fans. Any one of the scenes with Audrey could stand as her signature scene.”

I got a chance to buttonhole Eddie amidst the proceedings and he gave me the following info: no Noir City for NYC; the theater business is like the mob, and Eddie is the West Coast Boss who comes East as a guest only. However, he hinted that other programming arrangements were in the offing (to be hosted either at MoMA, Lincoln Center, or Film Forum, or maybe all three). He said the restoration of Too Late For Tears would premier in San Francisco in February--we can hope for it to tour after that.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 03, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »

^ great info  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 03, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »

CJ, Alias Nick Beal is playing again on Thursday (Nov. 7) at 4:00. This may be your last chance to see it. Afterwards it goes back into Universal's vault. No TCM. No home video release. You've had your warning.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:23 PM »

This is a little too steeply priced to justify a purchase, but it sure is a beautiful set: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12526

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 08, 2013, 03:11:27 AM »

has anyone seen the films in this set? http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=452616&ecid=PRF-TCM-100208&pa=PRF-TCM-100208
how do they rate?

So Dark the Night (1946)
Johnny Eager (1947)
Walk a Crooked Mile (1948)
Between Midnight and Dawn (1950)
Walk East on Beacon! (1952)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 08, 2013, 04:10:37 AM »

has anyone seen the films in this set? http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=452616&ecid=PRF-TCM-100208&pa=PRF-TCM-100208
how do they rate?

So Dark the Night (1946)
Johnny Eager (1947)
Walk a Crooked Mile (1948)
Between Midnight and Dawn (1950)
Walk East on Beacon! (1952)

So Dark the Night (1946) I fell asleep while I was watching it
Johnny Eager (1947) 7/10 Robert Taylor is OK
Walk a Crooked Mile (1948) This was on Antenna TV yesterday, just caught part of it so I really can't rate it.
Between Midnight and Dawn (1950) another 7/10
Walk East on Beacon! (1952) never seen it

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 08, 2013, 05:42:48 AM »

Johnny Eager (1947) 7/10 Robert Taylor is OK
But Van Heflin is incendiary.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 08, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »

whoops, my bad, I meant Johnny O'Clock, not Johnny Eager. I've already seen Johnny Eager. How about Johnny O'Clock?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 08, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »

Seen Johnny O'Clock but don't remember much, I may have an AVI file of it

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 09, 2013, 05:02:32 AM »

Johnny O'Clock is a fine film. 8/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 09, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »

Do you like Dick Powell? If so, you may enjoy it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 09, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »

Do you like Dick Powell? If so, you may enjoy it.

sure, Powell is a very good as a noir character. (I haven't seen – and don't plan to see – any of his musicals, though  Wink )

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 19, 2013, 02:36:21 AM »

TNT just completed the first (six-episode) season of a new neo-noir show by Frank Darabont called Mob City, about the Los Angeles mob in the late 1940's, based on the book "L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City," by John Buntin.

I imagine you can watch re-runs of the episodes on TNT or find them online; I discuss the show in some depth in the Gangster Films Index & Discussion thread, beginning here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11382.msg168704#msg168704

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 29, 2013, 01:28:28 AM »

TCM just released "Glenn Ford: Undercover Crimes DVD" http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=434142&ecid=PRF-TCM-100208&pa=PRF-TCM-100208

5 movies never-before released on dvd, at least in America. (Not all are considered noirs, but some are):

The Lady in Question (1939)

Framed (1947)

The Undercover Man (1949)

Mr. Soft Touch (1949)

Convicted (1950)

if anyone has seen these movies and could give ratings/recommendations, that would be awesome. If there are really some solid movies here and they are unavailable anywhere else, maybe I'd consider buying 'em sometime

I saw Mr. Soft Touch on TCM. 6.5/10

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM