Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:14:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 366449 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: December 29, 2013, 03:21:41 AM »

TCM just released "Glenn Ford: Undercover Crimes DVD" http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=434142&ecid=PRF-TCM-100208&pa=PRF-TCM-100208

5 movies never-before released on dvd, at least in America. (Not all are considered noirs, but some are):

The Lady in Question (1939)

Framed (1947)

The Undercover Man (1949)

Mr. Soft Touch (1949)

Convicted (1950)

if anyone has seen these movies and could give ratings/recommendations, that would be awesome. If there are really some solid movies here and they are unavailable anywhere else, maybe I'd consider buying 'em sometime

I've seen Framed (1947) and The Undercover Man (1949) they are both about 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 09, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »

Cohen announces: Jean-Pierre Melville's Two Men in Manhattan on DVD and blu-ray on September 17

I just saw the dvd. it's beautiful. movie gets an 8/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »

Jigsaw (1949) Interesting noir starring Franchot Tone, Jean Wallace, Myron McCormick, Marc Lawrence, and Winifred Lenihan. It has surprising cameos by Burgess Meredith, Marlene Dietrich, Henry Fonda, and John Garfield and is the third noir I've seen that utilizes a POV camera in one sequence. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 09, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »

BTW, I wouldn't classify Two Men in Manhattan as a noir. There is no crime here. Not very ethical behavior, but no crime.

It's a joy to see New York City of the late '50's  Smiley Despite all those exteriors in NYC, all the interiors were shot in France. The DVD bonus features has a nice 35-minute conversation between Jonathan Rosenbaum and another critic with a long Russian name that i couldn't hope to spell. Basically, it's like that young critic is interviewing Rosenbaum about Melville and this movie; if you like this movie, and if you like Melville, be sure to watch it

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 11, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »

Provocative: http://vimeopro.com/user16425623/noircity2014/video/83618467
Unless, like me, you know that film noir doesn't exist . . .

http://noircity.com/

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:47:38 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 11, 2014, 04:08:55 PM »

Provocative: http://vimeopro.com/user16425623/noircity2014/video/83618467
Unless, like me, you know that film noir doesn't exist . . .

http://noircity.com/

Cool

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 11, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »

no it's not cool. we need a festival in NYC, which is as noir a city as SF and LA.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

TCM just showed Gunman in the Streets (1950) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042534/?ref_=nv_sr_1

According to Robert Osborne, the movie was never released in the USA and was thought to be lost until now. (The pre-credits logo includes the logo and web address of Hypercube media http://hypercubemedia.com/Hypercube/Home.html so I guess they were involved in the restoration.)

However, I see the movie did have an Image Entertainment Region 1 DVD release in 2002 http://goo.gl/NZmgF7  which was discussed by Beaver here http://goo.gl/qR7CIg

Anyway, the image quality had lots of moments of damage and speckles, but it's not like it was consistently awful. The audio had a very loud tape hiss, which is often the case with TCM, unfortunately... (so many of their movies have really loud tape hiss, and I am NOT just talking about old movies that are in less-than-stellar quality.)

As for the movie itself - it's a "man on the run" film, set in Paris (though all the dialogue is English) - Dane Clark plays an American criminal who escapes the police in the beginning of the movie, and he spends the movie on the run, with the assistance of his ex-girlfriend Simone Signoret. Complicating matters is that Signoret now has a new boyfriend, an American reporter played by Robert Duke.

I'd give this a 7/10.... some big noir fans might go a little higher, to me this was basically an average man on the run from the cops film, with the movie focusing on parallel stories, of the criminal on the run and the cops trying to catch him. Dane Clark is pretty good as the criminal.

Next time it plays on TCM, you can give it a look, but I wouldn't suggest making any special effort to see it or buying one of the rare discs available from a few sellers on Amazon.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 26, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »

THE DARK CORNER (1946) 7.5/10 (DVD) .... The official billing says Lucille Ball, Clifton Webb, William Bendix, Mark Stevens. But happily, Stevens is the main character, and Webb doesn't have that much screen time, he just got top billing cuz of his name. This movie can be considered a prototypical noir, in that (in addition to the lighting and shadows) it has lots of elements of noir: a PI, a sweet girl secretary showing off her nylons, a cheating babe (Cathy Downs, definitely not the good girl Clementine!) murder, revenge, a man with a past, a basically ordinary man finding himself in a situation not of his own making and way above his head.... I am not a big fan of Webb, but as I said, he doesn't appear that much. The rest of the cast is very good. I suppose some of the chatter between Ball and Stevens is a bit too cutesy, but hey, this is Hollywood. I am surprised I never heard of Stevens before - he is a very good noir character.... I just started watching the commentary with James Ursini and Alain Silver; the rest of this post is ripped from the first 3 minutes of their commentary: according to Ursini/Silver, Ball hated this movie and hated being in it - MGM loaned her out to Fox for this B-movie as revenge for her suing MGM to get out of her contract; that in combination with director Henry Hathaway being irrascible/tyrannical,  Ball had a nervous breakdown in middle of the movie. Ball said she hated her performance - although she got good reviews for it. But I think she was good in it and so do the commentators.....

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »

One more interesting point about THE DARK CORNER, courtesy of the Silver/Ursini commentary: the movie takes place in NY and has a real NY feel, but in fact, while there is some second-unit work done in NY and LA, much of the movie was made in the Fox studio. But the movie is effective in conveying an authentic-location NY feel

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 26, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »

THE DARK CORNER (1946) 7.5/10 (DVD) .... The official billing says Lucille Ball, Clifton Webb, William Bendix, Mark Stevens. But happily, Stevens is the main character, and Webb doesn't have that much screen time, he just got top billing cuz of his name. This movie can be considered a prototypical noir, in that (in addition to the lighting and shadows) it has lots of elements of noir: a PI, a sweet girl secretary showing off her nylons, a cheating babe (Cathy Downs, definitely not the good girl Clementine!) murder, revenge, a man with a past, a basically ordinary man finding himself in a situation not of his own making and way above his head.... I am not a big fan of Webb, but as I said, he doesn't appear that much. The rest of the cast is very good. I suppose some of the chatter between Ball and Stevens is a bit too cutesy, but hey, this is Hollywood. I am surprised I never heard of Stevens before - he is a very good noir character.... I just started watching the commentary with James Ursini and Alain Silver; the rest of this post is ripped from the first 3 minutes of their commentary: according to Ursini/Silver, Ball hated this movie and hated being in it - MGM loaned her out to Fox for this B-movie as revenge for her suing MGM to get out of her contract; that in combination with director Henry Hathaway being irrascible/tyrannical,  Ball had a nervous breakdown in middle of the movie. Ball said she hated her performance - although she got good reviews for it. But I think she was good in it and so do the commentators.....

yea 7.5/10 is reasonable.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 26, 2014, 10:34:56 PM »

It's nice to see that we're in such agreement lately ;-) but frankly, considering that this is a "real" noir and conveys a real-location feel, I'd have thought you'd have rated this one higher.... Actually, the one thing it's missing is the femme fatale
(like the watch that can do everything except tell time ;-) Cathy Downs is playing a bad girl, but she really is not manipulative and not the cause of the action; she remains mostly passive (other than her cheating), so I wouldn't consider her a classic femme fatale

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 27, 2014, 04:10:10 AM »

It's nice to see that we're in such agreement lately ;-) but frankly, considering that this is a "real" noir and conveys a real-location feel, I'd have thought you'd have rated this one higher.... Actually, the one thing it's missing is the femme fatale
(like the watch that can do everything except tell time ;-) Cathy Downs is playing a bad girl, but she really is not manipulative and not the cause of the action; she remains mostly passive (other than her cheating), so I wouldn't consider her a classic femme fatale

I think it would have been better with another actress playing Ball's part, someone from the A list of noir actresses, its got a great location feel for sure.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 27, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »

I thought Ball was good, she was playing the straight good girl, she wasn't a femme fatale, not the sort of role that you'd see e.g. Jane Greer in

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 30, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »

Otto Preminger noirs: http://premingernoir.co/about/

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM