Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 02:19:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 366713 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: May 18, 2014, 02:35:34 AM »

Impact (1949) directed by Arthur Lubin with Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Charles Coburn, Helen Walker, Tony Barrett. and Anna May Wong.

This one had decent story line that made up for its lack of being very Noir-ish. Basically Walker and Barrett plan on killing her husband Donlevy an auto company executive working in San Francisco.  I'd have killed him myself for the unbearably overly attentive husband shtick routine he was playing. Anyway once the attempted murder goes haywire (a bumbling Barrett accidentally drives into a gasoline tanker and is burned beyond recognition),  the police assume the body is Donlevy's.

Donlevy, who was conked on the head and left for dead regains conscious climbs into a parked moving van, passes out, and wakes up someplace in Nevada.

Humiliated and devastated by his wife's complicity in the attempted murder, Donlevy gets a job as a mechanic working for Raines in a fly speck town in Idaho. He does not reveal his identity and, lets his wife get indicted as an accomplice in his murder. There is an unexpected twist. 6.5-7/10

I agree that the storyline is decent, but then it gets annoying when Ella Raines starts preaching to Brian Donlevy, by the time he returns to San Francisco, the movie gets difficult to watch. Brian Donlevy is one of those guys, I have no idea how he got so many leading roles, he never does much for a movie. Never awful but never better than average, kinda like any random person who shows up and reads lines  Roll Eyes

I give this baby an absolute max of 6/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 18, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »

Brian Donlevy is one of those guys, I have no idea how he got so many leading roles, he never does much for a movie. Never awful but never better than average, kinda like any random person who shows up and reads lines  Roll Eyes
Grin Grin So true! He makes a great second banana though, in those films where he plays secondary roles.

I have to give Impact a slight uptick though, because of Ella. She's a hometown girl (born Snohomish, WA) and anyway I've always loved her looks. Too bad that bastard Hawks had to put his filthy hands all over here. Smoking killed her early. Ah, me.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 18, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »

Grin Grin So true! He makes a great second banana though, in those films where he plays secondary roles.

I have to give Impact a slight uptick though, because of Ella. She's a hometown girl (born Snohomish, WA) and anyway I've always loved her looks. Too bad that bastard Hawks had to put his filthy hands all over here. Smoking killed her early. Ah, me.

what movie was he great in?

he was decent as the evil railroad agent in Jesse James. That's the only movie I can remember not groaning whenever he comes on the screen. (Maybe cuz I hate him so much, I bought him being the bad guy there  Wink)

But otherwise, he got all these leading roles and was no better or worse than anyone they could have pulled off the street and asked to read a few lines.... Hey, I guess some people do make lotsa money for doing nothing   Wink

Not a big fan of Ella Raines. And some of her hairdos in this movie are awful. The other girl, the one who played Donlevy's wife, is much prettier.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 19, 2014, 05:23:21 AM »

what movie was he great in?

He's good in Kiss Of Death & The Big Combo but he was not really great enough to be a major star.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 27, 2014, 06:10:32 AM »

Can't tell if this is worth getting or not: http://shop.tcm.com/dark-crimes-film-noir-thrillers-volume-2-dvd/detail.php?p=577646&v=tcm_vault-collection

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1220 on: June 07, 2014, 05:14:52 AM »

THE RULES OF FILM NOIR (57min video):

http://youtu.be/-MOFPXQOnaY

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 17, 2014, 03:10:24 PM »

@ MoMA
Lady in the Dark: Crime Films from Columbia Pictures, 1932–1957

July 11–August 4, 2014

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1488

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 17, 2014, 03:23:59 PM »

@ MoMA
Lady in the Dark: Crime Films from Columbia Pictures, 1932–1957

July 11–August 4, 2014

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1488

Cool I may try to make one of those

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 17, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »

Eddie himself will be there for the opener, but the one I want to see at all costs is Man in the Dark in 3D.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 23, 2014, 08:12:17 PM »

Interesting factoid about Kiss Me Deadly, When the film was released, it ran into censorship trouble, the Kefauver Commission labelling it the Number One Menace to American Youth for 1955.  Cheesy

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:32 PM »

Film Forum will have a "FEMMES NOIRS" series this summer, showing noirs from July 18th thru August 7th, iincluding a bunch of 2-for-1 deals
http://filmforum.org/series/femmes-noirs-series-page

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: July 06, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »

Just got my ticket for I Love Trouble at MoMA, with Eddie's introduction. It probably won't sell out, but it's always nice to make sure.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: July 12, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »

I Love Trouble (1947) - 7/10. 35mm. A real PI film, with Franchot Tone hired by a rich guy to delve into the guy's new wife's mysterious past. Adapted from Roy Huggins first novel (The Double Take), it's pretty much imitation Chandler (plot-wise it owes quite a bit to Farewell, My Lovely)--and all the better for it. Everybody's cracking wise, especially Tone, and the one-liners never stop coming (the capacity crowd at MoMA last night laughed all through the screening). Add to this the fact that (seemingly) every contract girl on the Columbia lot got a spot in the picture, however brief, and you have 1947's most entertaining film (and '47 was the high-water mark for Hollywood film production). Heavies include John Ireland, Don Curtis, and (if you don't blink) Raymond Burr. The talent is led by Janet Blair, Adele Jergens, and Janis Carter.

Eddie's intro went on and on--man, can that boy talk. Mostly he talked about Roy Huggins' career, and made some interesting observations (he claims that I Love Trouble provided the template for episodes on the man's later TV creations--77 Sunset Strip, Maverick, The Rockford Files). Eddie also put in a plug for the Too Late For Tears restoration (coming soon to Film Forum). And although it's not on MoMA's schedule, he said that he would be introducing tonight's showing of In A Lonely Place--his favorite film! I've got opera tickets tonight, so I can't see the film, but I COULD go just for the intro and then split . . . .  hmmmmmmm . . . .

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: July 13, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »

Out of the Past to go Blu: http://www.amazon.com/Out-Past-Blu-ray-Robert-Mitchum/dp/B00LPUO24Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1405279818&sr=1-2&keywords=out+of+the+past+blu

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: July 13, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »

Finally! One of the greatest noirs of all-time definitely deserves a nice BRD

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM