Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:03:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 373404 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:39:10 AM »

Great review boardwalk! Lets keep those reviews coming folks!

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 03:24:05 PM »

Right. I'm up for another review. Am going to set up Classic Hollywood Western DVD Discussion and Review thread soon so please keep an eye out for that. Have Updated upcoming release dates, wants and unknowns on first post. enjoy. 

Kiss Me Deadly

US 1955
Director: Robert Aldrich
Produced: Robert Aldrich
Screenplay: A.I. Bezzerides
Cast: Ralph Meeker, Albert Decker and Marian Carr
Studio: United Artists

DVD Details

Region: R2
Studio: MGM
Transfer: Non Anamorphic 1.66.1
Sound: 2.0 Mono
Extras: Original Theatrical Trailer
Run Time: 1hr 42mins
Date of DVD Release: August 4th, 2003

Synopsis

An adaptation of Mickey Spillane's gripping novel which sees Ralph Meeker in the role of private eye Mike Hammer on the case of a missing atomic device stolen by a spy.

My Thoughts

Wow a very intriguing picture. A very harsh, brutal and nasty noir which was rather notorious on release the film is a strange 'mish mash' of elements that collide, rather like the films subject, quite explosively. The film oozes a rather unsetting mood. Mike Hammer (Meeker) seems to be stumbling around, always too late and always being hit. The interesting title sequence sets the tone for the film. Hammer picks up a girl who seems to be fleeing someone before crashing and waking up to find the girl dead. This film is a nightmare. The low budget doesn't detract, it adds to the film, emphasing the almost abstract nature of the piece. The arresting cinematography and ingenious editing give it a rapid pace, yes the story can be hard to follow but the pace is so fast it will not drag. Alright some of the acting can be a little suspect at times and perhaps the story could be presented just a tiny little more straight forward without harming the ambiguity but this is a quirky little noir that is an interesting examination into the dark elements of an already very dark genre.

A note, the back of the box displays that the R2 contains the "fully restored original ending - which contains over one minute of crucial footage that clarifies decades of false interpretations." However this package does not include the advertised shortened ending for comparison

Picture

MGM presents this disc in non-anamorphic 1.66.1 (OAR). Studios seem to be frightened of giving us anamorphic prints of 1.66.1 which is rather annoying. Oh well the transfer given here is OK, not great. The elements seem to hold up well, grain is present along with solid blacks. Artifacts and damage do show up but overall, an agreeable presentation dampened by what should have been an anamorphic presentation and a properly restored picture.

Sound

Like Dead Reckoning there is nothing remarkable, the 2.0 (wish again it was in 1.0) did its job with not much interfearance.

Extras

Just an amusing trailer. Not on MGM! (well Sony now.) I think we need a doco. This disc is a let down on the extras department (not even an enclosed booklet)

Final Score

7/10

I'll be truthful. This score only relates to the film. A good noir, let down by a poor disc Non-Anamorphic, average A/V and no important extras. Even the Universal noirs, with their lack of extras, treated the films with a little more digniity. This disk is dirt cheap though (see below) and definatly worth a watch

Leone Admirer

Links

Price Comparison:http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/16847DVD.htm
IMDB File: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048261/

Variety Review Extract

The ingredients that sell Mickey Spillane's novels about Mike Hammer, the hardboiled private eye, are thoroughly worked over in this presentation built around the rock-and-sock character. Ralph Meeker takes on the Hammer character and as the surly, hit first, ask questions later, shamus turns in a job that is acceptable, even if he seems to go soft in a few sequences.

Interesting Article here: http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1896-kiss-me-deadly-the-thriller-of-tomorrow

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:14:22 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 05:10:09 PM »

Sorry I haven't time to write a full review but.....anybody into FILM NOIR has to catch up with a movie called STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR. It co-stars PETER LORRE in what must be his most sinister performance ever (after M). I've read, that this movie is the one that kick-started Noir off? (Maybe?) All I know is, when I saw it recently (BBC2  noir season) it blew my socks off. It contains a dream sequence that defies logic (in a positive sense). A class act that begs a DVD release! Check this one out, folks, you won't be disappointed!  Wink

« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 05:45:54 PM by Belkin » Logged

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 02:32:34 AM »

Just a short review, but a great noir is 'Out of the Past', starring Robert Mitchum. Fabulous dialogue, great characters, nicely photographed and a slimy turn from Kirk Douglas as the male bad guy. The femme fatale character played by Jane Greer is a classic - not to be trusted an inch - she'd sell you out as soon as look at you. 'She isn't all bad, Jeff, nobody is' observes one character, of Greer. 'She comes the closest' says Mitchum. It's chock full of great lines and has an atmosphere of doom weaved throughout - no matter what he does, Mitchum seems unlikely to escape in one piece.

Another terrific film, not exactly noir, is a movie I just caught recently called 'A Face in the Crowd', directed by Elia Kazan. Its a blacker than black take on the perils of celebrity and the corrupting influence of power. Its interesting that so many great movies came out of the fifties, sixties and seventies - three decades where movies were primarily made for adults. Doesn't seem to happen as much anymore.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 03:37:46 PM »

"That's the way it is. You're a fighter, you gotta fight" ...Stoker Thompson

The Set-Up (1949)    
  Directed by
Robert Wise

Cast:

Robert Ryan ....  Bill "Stoker" Thompson
Audrey Totter ....  Julie Thompson
George Tobias ....  Tiny
Alan Baxter ....  Little Boy
Wallace Ford ....  Gus
Percy Helton ....  Red
Hal Baylor ....  Tiger Nelson
Darryl Hickman ....  Shanley
Kenny O'Morrison ....  Moore
James Edwards ....  Luther Hawkins
David Clarke ....  Gunboat Johnson
Phillip Pine ....  Tony Souza

Lost in Palookaville

Thanks to Warner Brothers...this critically acclaimed corker of a movie has been  rescued from the cracks into which it had fallen.
The Set-Up tells the story of a nearly washed-up 35 year-old prizefighter, Stoker Thompson ,..a fourth rate boxer in a two-bit town, brilliantly & compellingly played by Robert Ryan, in perhaps his finest hour in his finest role.
Stoker finds himself on the boxing B Circuit... in the sweltering, smoke-filled, world of seedy nightclubs and cheap motels that thrive in the ironically named  Paradise City,......... who prepares to enter the ring against an up and coming fighter 12 years his junior.. , he doesn't know that his manager and trainer have set him up to take a dive , having made a deal with local gangster Little Boy (Alan Baxter) but they don't bother telling him, figuring Stoker is so washed up he's going to lose anyway..foregoing the need to convince him to do it/cut him in...Meanwhile, Stoker's wife (Audrey Totter, herself a veteran of many films of the noir cycle), across the street in their seedy hotel room,  tries to decide if she wants to see her husband get his brains bashed in again...tired of wondering if this will be the one he doesn't walk away from, takes an amazing walk along an amazing nighttime landscape..  a garish..moonlit..neon world filled with arcades ( the wonderfully named  Dreamland Arcade), bars, and chop suey places.......populated by dreamers, & schemers.

Directed by the prolific Robert Wise.. who effects a remarkable fluidity within scenes, as well as from one scene to the next...the composition of each scene is impeccable in it's details.. background.. each frame teeming w/ life, ..full of shadows....hopes...dreams..& unfulfillment.

I didnt even consider, as I was watching, that there was no music...it was that perfect & appropriate.....this film's soundtrack is the rhythm of life..conversations..come ons, the background from radios & jukeboxes.
The pace is propulsively energetic (I stole that line from somewhere..) .................

The Set-Up works as a sports movie...a boxing movie..an allegory...a character drama...with gritty noir elements. ... the dingy and shadowy settings ,  and the seedy figures that inhabit them.. although Wise does manage to tweak & twist the genre somewhat.    
The world of noir is a dark one.............at every possible opportunity, someone is chiseling someone else...............   & everyone is looking for that million to one shot to make it to the top.

The film..a tight., not at all sparse (this film is loaded) 72 minutes, unfolds in real time. The big boxing scene, which lasts roughly a half hour...is one of the best, most realistic scenes of its kind... ever , staged with beautiful rhythm,  building and building to a gut wrenching conclusion. Ryan having been a collegiate boxing champion at Dartmouth, of course adds to the naturalism.

The ultimate set-up may be life itself....but what remains to be discovered,  are the consequences of the choices made while caught in a  web of fate.

DVD Extras:  Commentary by Robert Wise and Martin Scorsese..apparently recorded separately, but interesting nonetheless.

This movie sticks with you....an hour..a day..after seeing it...it still resonates...and gets better. Recommended.

Continued discussion here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg82733#msg82733

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:52:04 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 12:01:31 PM »

as for the postman always rings twice, see visconti's Ossessione... same story, but much better.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 03:58:15 PM »

Great Reviews guys! Keep em' coming. I agree with you grandpa Visconti's Ossessione is a great film. Upcoming reviews from me will be all the so far released Fox Noir films, the Universal Noir collection and Vol. 2 of Warners Film Noir Boxset.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 06:34:51 PM »

by the way, I have to take this oppurtunity, as I do as often as possible, to recomend kansas city confidential, it's a fantastic film, and the dvd is sufficient... great quality, no extras.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 11:54:41 PM »

as for the postman always rings twice, see visconti's Ossessione... same story, but much better.
This could only be possible if Visconti used an actress with better legs than Lana Turner. Which is to say, I am skeptical.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 11:14:27 PM »

I'm watching "The Narrow Margin" and I thought of this thread.  Glad I found it.   You guys should check this on out.

More feeling.
Franks Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 11:40:14 PM »

Narrow Margin is one of the top 25 noirs of all time and it features Marie Windsor in her best performance.
There is a magnificent book written by Eddie Muller titled "Dark City Dames" and he focuses on 6 great actresses of the era who are almost forgotten, except by film enthusiasts like us.
In it Muller interviews Marie Windsor, Ann Savage ( Who I had the honor of meeting last year on the book tour) Audrey Totter, Jane Greer, Coleen Gray, and Evelyn Keyes.
Please, Please purchase this book and Mullers other book titled " Dark City" which is the quintessential noir book and delve a little deeper into the dark side of cinema.
Some of my favorites are T-Men and Raw Deal, which are fantastic gritty noirs from Anthony Mann.
Mann also gave us some good Westerns like The Man From Laramie, but it was his noirs that really showed his talent.
I will post some reviews of these films soon.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 11:54:13 PM by Franks Harmonica » Logged

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2005, 07:18:21 PM »

I have Dark City.  I'll look for the other.

More feeling.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2005, 06:59:34 PM »

Just picked up three from the Fox Film Noir collection based on a recent NYT article, I chose three that featured NYC themes,

"The Dark Corner" Dir. Henry Hathaway, with Mark Stevens, William Bendix, Clifton Webb and a great Lucille Ball. This one has some great footage of the 3rd Ave El, plus a great commentary track by film historians Alan Silver and James Ursini. 

I think there are a total of 12 titles in the collection.

"Where The Sidewalk Ends" Dir Otto Preminger with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney  also has Carl Malden, commentary track by Film Noir historian Eddie Muller.

and the last which I haven't watched yet but have seen some bits of...

"Kiss of Death" Dir. Henry Hathaway with Victor Mature, Brian Donlevy, Coleen Gray and Richard Widmark. Commentary trak by James Ursins and Alan Silver.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 12:04:01 AM »

That was an excellent article in the NYT (I've found a place in London that gets the newspaper so I'm happy now that I can read my favourite non-industry paper). Have you collected the other films in the collection Joe, if not I really recomend that you do so as there is a great collection of films there.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 06:52:23 AM »

Yea, I plan to pick them up as time goes by, I'm especially looking forward to Kiss of Death, since I grew up in Astoria NY right near the Astoria Park and the Tri-Borough Bridge.

I got them at Best Buy for $10.99 but you get a $5.00 rebate when you buy three.

Here are the rest of the list I found at Best Buy, there may be more:

Laura
Call Northside 777
Panic in the streets
House of Bamboo
Nightmare Alley
The Street With No Name
Whirpool
Somewhere In The Night
The House On 92nd Street
No Way Out

By the way LA the NYT has a great article on films today "Where Have All The Howlers Gone" by A>O> Scott which laments the homogenized film by committee look of most films these days. No real stinkers but then no great masterpieces either, check it out.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 07:07:26 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM