Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 02:19:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 366712 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: July 13, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »

Just saw THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK. That gets a 7/10
The DVD was a double feature, also had TWO OF A KIND, but I shut that off halfway through. As soon as Edmond O'Brien meets the heiress, the movie becomes excruciating.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: July 13, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »

The noir festival at MoMA continues:
Blind Spot (1947) - 6/10. 35mm. Chester Morris doing a very credible Scott Brady impression (ha!). Morris is supposed to be a talented novelist whose books, although artistically successful, don't sell. Needing money, and needing courage to ask his publisher for an advance, he gets tanked up and goes to the publisher's office. There he meets Constance Dowling, secretary and bottle blonde. Dowling doesn't want to let Morris in to see the boss, but he charges past her. Inside the publisher is doing some serious putting with Steven Geray, a financially successful writer of mysteries. The publisher wants to send Morris packing, but Geray asks him to be patient when Morris claims to have a great idea for a locked-room mystery. Maybe on the strength of that idea Morris can get an advance? Yeah, maybe, but Morris is so drunk he may not be able to stay coherent. There is an ellipsis. Later, the publisher turns up dead . . . in his office, which was bolted shut from the inside. Morris turns up hungover . . . and claiming to have blacked out everything that happened the previous afternoon. Of course, the police think Morris did the murder. Morris doesn't know whether he did it or not. But if not him, who? And what was the clever solution to the locked-room mystery he concocted while drunk that he can't remember now? This is a great, great premise.
Czar Eddie was in the audience for this one (I think even he hasn't had many chances to see it). Later he introduced In a Lonely Place. Eddie gave a lot of props to the writer of the original novel even though the story in the film is completely changed. Eddie also had a lot of salacious behind-the-scenes info to impart, including the particulars of the affair between Gloria Grahame and Nick Ray's son. I'd known that Gloria later married the guy, and I'd also known that the Ray-Grahame marriage was over by the time the movie was shot, but I hadn't put the 2 facts together. Evidently, the affair was begun while the kid was living in the same house with the Rays. The kid was 13! [Drink, start vomiting now.]He'd hitchhiked to Hollywood from wherever his birth mother had taken him to be with his dad, but dad wasn't around the house much when he was working, and it seems Gloria had quite a bit of free time. Eddie turned these revelations into a pretty good routine: "What was the kid thinking??? Yeah, getting with Gloria, I get that. I know what he was thinking there. But hitchhiking across the country at 13? What was the kid thinking???"

Anyway, apparently the affair is why the Ray marriage broke up (wouldja believe it?) Columbia didn't believe the couple would go the distance on the production, so they had Audrey Totter waiting to step in when Grahame got fired or walked off the set. But it never happened.

I was hoping Eddie was going to tell us that a Blu of IALP was coming, and in fact he started to talk about the DCP that was going to be shown, but then Dave Kehr waved him off and said they were projecting film. At which point Eddie told everyone how lucky they were, this could be their last chance to watch the film on celluloid.

There was a large crowd, and at one point Eddie got a show of hands from all those who had never before seen the film. About half the house put their arms up.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:38 PM »

CJ, you need to make this one if you can. You too, Drink. http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/film_screenings/21461

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: July 19, 2014, 03:25:36 PM »

TT Blu of Violent Saturday reviewed: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4543viol.html

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: July 26, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

CJ, you need to make this one if you can. You too, Drink. http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/film_screenings/21461
Now they're saying it's gonna be intro'd by Robert Furmanek, founder and director of the 3-D Film Archive. Bob posts regularly on HTF and elsewhere, a recognized authority on 3-D and film aspect ratios. It will be great to hear him say something on this.

This is turning out to be a huge event. All the cool people already have tickets!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: July 28, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »

TT Blu of Violent Saturday reviewed: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4543viol.html
Now Beaver has comparison caps up: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/violent_saturday_blu-ray.htm

Gary explains everything except why the blu images have the mumps, while all the SD images look normal.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 09, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »

Finally! One of the greatest noirs of all-time definitely deserves a nice BRD
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4560past.html

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 10, 2014, 03:39:43 AM »

I can't click links while I am on my cellphone. What are you reading about OUT OF THE PAST? Good quality? What are the bonus features? Thanks

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 12, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »

5/5 for PQ! http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Out-of-the-Past-Blu-ray/56288/#Review

The image on WAC's 1080p, AVC-encoded Blu-ray delivers the atmospheric cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca (I Remember Mama) with the kind of depth and detail that demonstrates, yet again, why the format is a gift to fans of classic films. The bright opening in Bridgeport has an almost tactile quality, as director Tourneur establishes the idyllic surroundings where Jeff Bailey has been trying to lead a quiet life. The rest of the film becomes darker, with backgrounds often filled with shadows or, especially at night, receding into dark areas composed of different shades of black and gray. The transfer used by WAC has both excellent blacks and fine gradations of gray and white. Detail in faces, hair, clothing and objects is well-delineated, even when a haze of cigarette smoke fills the frame. (The smoking in the film is legendary.)

The source material for Out of the Past is either in pristine shape or has been restored to perfection. It looks as good as if the movie had just been shot.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 12, 2014, 04:50:47 PM »

This also promises to be great: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14708

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 12, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »

thanks for the info. I'll definitely be picking this one up.

Although the reviewer says the BRD is great quality (the most important thing), I am a little disappointed at the lack of extras - all they have is the James Ursini commentary from the 2004 DVD. IMO, one of the all-time great noirs deserves a major package loaded with extras. While OOTP enjoys a great reputation among noir fans, it still hasn't reached the wide audience some of the other greats, like Double Indemnity, have. For example, while OOTP curently has an 8.1/10 rating on IMDB, it has only been rated by 18,237 users, so it can't even qualify for the IMDB 250, which requires being rated by at least 25,000 regular users.
IMO, OOTP deserves to be up there with all those movies considered the great noirs.

Anyway, this is a minor issue, how many fans love it and how many bonus features there are(n't). Bottom line is, when a great movie is released on great-quality BRD, that's all I can ask for. This is good news  Afro

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 13, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »

Looks like I'll be making the upgrade.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: August 13, 2014, 10:52:21 PM »

I happened to notice that, currently, on Amazon http://goo.gl/zDlbQV the BRD of OOTP is selling for $18.69, and says "usually ships within 11-14 days." (it costs more on Amazon Marketplace, though those sellers have it in stock).

However, on the WB Archive Collection website http://goo.gl/K7Fdj6 it is selling for $17.19, and says "ships within 3 days."

of course, there are other factors to consider (e.g., ground shipping is $4.99 at WBAC, usually a dollars less at Amazon Marketsplace, free if you buy directly from Amazon and have Prime, etc.) but I just wanna point out that if you're thinking of buying this title, WBAC may be a better option now than Amazon.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: August 29, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »

Yikes, this is spendy! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_63/inferno_blu-ray.htm
Still, it does give us Rhonda Fleming in color--I've got this title in a gray market edition, but I just might have to upgrade.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 14, 2014, 02:12:14 AM »

TCM is showing a bunch of noirs on Wednesday, Sep. 17, beginning at 6:30 AM with The Asphalt Jungle http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2014-09-17

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM