Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:34:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 366175 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: May 07, 2015, 02:47:17 PM »

TCM's Summer of Darkness: http://www.tcm.com/summerofdarkness/

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 07, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »

Cool  Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 08, 2015, 02:54:35 PM »

Nice  Smiley

I'm sure they'll show Double Indemnity and The Maltese Falcon, et al., but I am specifically looking forward to seeing some films that are unavailable on DVD.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 19, 2015, 03:19:16 AM »

In conjunction with TCM's 9-week noir program this summer, TCM and Ball State University are offering a free multimedia noir course taught by film noir expert Richard Edwards, Ph.D. You even get a certificate upon completion  Grin

The course starts June 1st and goes till August 4th, but you can sign up as late as July 19th.

You can get info and sign up here https://www.canvas.net/browse/bsu/tcm/courses/film-noir

It's free and there's no obligation, so what the hell, I'll sign up, and if I have time to follow it and enjoy it, great; if not, who cares.

Here is the text of the email I received from TCM:

Inviting movie fans from around the world to join in a multimedia investigation and celebration of film noir!

Sign up now for this free, flexible online course from Ball State University, taught by film noir expert Richard Edwards. It includes a special video series, “The Case of Film Noir,” plus social sharing and other features that make the course fun and easy to enjoy on any computer or mobile device.

The course runs concurrently with the Turner Classic Movies "Summer of Darkness” programming event—airing 24 hours of films noir every Friday in June and July. This is the deepest catalog of film noir every presented by TCM (and perhaps any network), and provides an unprecedented opportunity for those interested in learning more to watch over 100 classic movies as they investigate “The Case of Film Noir.”

The course will deepen your understanding of the film noir phenomenon—from the earliest noir precursors to recent experiments in neo-noir—and enables you to share thoughts online and test your movie knowledge with a worldwide community of film noir students and fans.

Enrollment is open at Canvas Network, and you may join the course as late as July 19. You’ll have the opportunity to work through videos, podcasts and other interesting materials at your own pace. The course concludes with a live video conference with Richard Edwards and TCM on-air “Summer of Darkness” host Eddie Muller, and course participants who complete all assignments will earn a customized certificate of completion.

Becoming a noir expert has never been this much fun! Enroll today, or you’ll find yourself saying, “I did something wrong, once.”

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 19, 2015, 05:26:00 AM »

In conjunction with TCM's 9-week noir program this summer, TCM and Ball State University are offering a free multimedia noir course taught by film noir expert Richard Edwards, Ph.D. You even get a certificate upon completion  Grin

The course starts June 1st and goes till August 4th, but you can sign up as late as July 19th.

You can get info and sign up here https://www.canvas.net/browse/bsu/tcm/courses/film-noir

It's free and there's no obligation, so what the hell, I'll sign up, and if I have time to follow it and enjoy it, great; if not, who cares.

Here is the text of the email I received from TCM:

Inviting movie fans from around the world to join in a multimedia investigation and celebration of film noir!

Sign up now for this free, flexible online course from Ball State University, taught by film noir expert Richard Edwards. It includes a special video series, “The Case of Film Noir,” plus social sharing and other features that make the course fun and easy to enjoy on any computer or mobile device.

The course runs concurrently with the Turner Classic Movies "Summer of Darkness” programming event—airing 24 hours of films noir every Friday in June and July. This is the deepest catalog of film noir every presented by TCM (and perhaps any network), and provides an unprecedented opportunity for those interested in learning more to watch over 100 classic movies as they investigate “The Case of Film Noir.”

The course will deepen your understanding of the film noir phenomenon—from the earliest noir precursors to recent experiments in neo-noir—and enables you to share thoughts online and test your movie knowledge with a worldwide community of film noir students and fans.

Enrollment is open at Canvas Network, and you may join the course as late as July 19. You’ll have the opportunity to work through videos, podcasts and other interesting materials at your own pace. The course concludes with a live video conference with Richard Edwards and TCM on-air “Summer of Darkness” host Eddie Muller, and course participants who complete all assignments will earn a customized certificate of completion.

Becoming a noir expert has never been this much fun! Enroll today, or you’ll find yourself saying, “I did something wrong, once.”

l'm in.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10:17 AM »

Huh. Can you still take the course if you're convinced that there's no such thing as film noir?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 19, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »

l'm in.  Afro

We can be study partners!

And remember, no dinner before you do your homework  Tongue

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 26, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »

Side Street (1950) Of course, CJ is enthusiastic about the depiction of Manhattan and the rest, but though Granger is slightly more tolerable here than in other movies, his character does his best to do the wrong action every time. And the schlock is another minus. 7/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 04, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »

I'm not convinced these are really films noir (The Kneeling Goddess is described elsewhere as an overwrought melodrama), but they may be worth a look nonetheless: http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1589

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 15, 2015, 09:19:30 PM »

Cry Danger (1951) CJ gives it 10\10 and I can't see why. To me it makes a generous 6/10 only because of Powell (and Conrad, especially the russian roulette scene), the rest is cheap and seen before.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 15, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »

Cry Danger (1951) CJ gives it 10\10 and I can't see why.
what exactly is special about this noir that you wonder why CJ gives it a 10/10? You could have asked that question about a hundred other noirs, too  Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 16, 2015, 12:27:38 AM »

what exactly is special about this noir that you wonder why CJ gives it a 10/10? You could have asked that question about a hundred other noirs, too  Wink

I don't think he gave 10/10 to a hundred other noirs. Here the embarrassment  is about the highest rating for a very modest movie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:22 AM »

It's a 10/10 for the great atmosphere, love that trailer park & it's denizens, what can I say. I love the visuals of Bunker Hill, it's the archivist in me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 16, 2015, 06:54:52 AM »

It's a 10/10 for the great atmosphere, love that trailer park & it's denizens, what can I say. I love the visuals of Bunker Hill, it's the archivist in me.
Also, great dialog. And then of course . . . Richard Erdman.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 16, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »

I was waiting for that, DJ. RICHARD ERDMAN! I could hear your ejaculation. RICHARD ERDMAN!

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM