Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:04:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 366847 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 18, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »

The Crooked Way (1949) is coming to Blu: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17004

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 21, 2015, 06:23:38 PM »

CJ, have you been keeping up with the TCM online noir course?

I have had no extra time whatsoever, I've barely even had the time to watch any movies, let alone the course. I've occasionally read some of the emails they sent but I have  never logged onto the site. Have you been following it?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 22, 2015, 04:52:56 AM »

CJ, have you been keeping up with the TCM online noir course?

I have had no extra time whatsoever, I've barely even had the time to watch any movies, let alone the course. I've occasionally read some of the emails they sent but I have  never logged onto the site. Have you been following it?

Yes I've been DVr-ing what films I haven't seen, the course is a good overview

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 23, 2015, 09:49:35 AM »

From Kino:
Coming November 17 on Blu-ray and DVD!

Newly Mastered in HD from a 35mm dupe negative preserved by the UCLA Film & Television Archive.

PITFALL (1948) Starring Dick Powell, Lizabeth Scott, Jane Wyatt and Raymond Burr. Directed by Andre De Toth.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 09, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »

From the latest Film Noir Foundation newsletter:
The Film Noir Foundation has partnered with Los Angeles-based Flicker Alley to bring several of its recent restorations to the home entertainment market. Blu-ray editions of Woman on the Run (1950) and Too Late for Tears (1949) are expected to release before the year's end, complete with bonus extras produced by the FNF. "We chose to work with Flicker Alley," said Eddie Muller, "because of its commitment to producing high quality products with what other companies might consider 'marginal' titles. Plus, [Flicker Alley founder] Jeff Masino understood that value of letting us brand these titles as Film Noir Foundation discoveries." The release of more FNF titles will largely be dependent on sales numbers for these first two packages. Repeat Performance (1947), High Tide (1947), and The Guilty (1947) are other candidates for future release, as are some of the Argentine noir films recently resurrected by the FNF.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 09, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »

In other words, if you want FNF to release more titles, you better buy the ones they do release.
 Woman on the Run is really not a great movie, I saw it once on TCM and that is enough, but maybe we should buy it anyway, sort of as a donation to FNF and to ensure future titles are released ....

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 10, 2015, 06:33:25 AM »

Hope they are smart enough to release them on DVD also,

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 10, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »

In other words, if you want FNF to release more titles, you better buy the ones they do release.
 Woman on the Run is really not a great movie, I saw it once on TCM and that is enough, but maybe we should buy it anyway, sort of as a donation to FNF and to ensure future titles are released ....
I'd say WotR is an OK film that has appeal if you like Ann Sheridan. But Too Late For Tears is a really significant noir that every noir-head should know by heart. It's worth having on Blu to view over and over again.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 11, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »

Le rouge est mis (1957) Moronic finale for a good gangster movie, which makes me give it 7/10 instead of 8/10. Gabin, Ventura, Bozzuffi, Audiard, Le Breton (haven't read the novel yet, which is considered by some as his best ever: I doubt it).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 13, 2015, 03:21:40 AM »

True Crime at Film Forum http://filmforum.org/series/true-crime-series

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 22, 2015, 01:22:58 AM »

Flic Story (1974) As good as the book. Maybe Delon is too slick for playing Borniche, all the more so since Trintignant is such a perfect Buisson. Anyway one of the greatest gangster movies ever. 9/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 23, 2015, 07:56:47 AM »

I'm not convinced these are really films noir (The Kneeling Goddess is described elsewhere as an overwrought melodrama), but they may be worth a look nonetheless: http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1589
MoMA's "Mexican Noir" mini-festival starts today. Tonight is En La Palma de tu mano  (In the Palm of Your Hand) and La Otra (The Other One). The title of the first seems to contain a pun, as the femme fatale in the piece is played by someone named Leticia Palma. (Doesn't "la Palma" of one's hand indicate masturbation?). The second film appears to be a Mexican variation on the Evil Twin plot.

Tomorrow are the films Night Falls and The Kneeling Goddess (another great title). If any of these are good I may see the film offered Saturday. There are 2 more offered next week but I won't be able to see them. The first four seem the most interesting, anyway.

There are two kinds of people, my friend. Those willing to take a chance on these films, and those who don't give a rat's ass about (so called) film noir.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 23, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »

An interesting-sounding French noir is now available from France on blu: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Night-Affair-Blu-ray/129245/#Review

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 23, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »

Storm Fear! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_68/storm_fear_blu-ray.htm

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 23, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »

... And then there's a third type of person: those who aren't teachers and don't have all summer off to watch movies Wink
We'll definitely meet up when you get back from the Coast. Enjoy the (many) films!

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM