Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:08:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 380913 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: January 09, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »

Both Key Largo and The Big Sleep are coming to Blu in RA soon (but no hard dates have been announced). TBS has some interesting extras that go beyond what was available on the DVD:

THE BIG SLEEP
 (1946)
 B&W-114 Min.
 BD-50
 DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, DOLBY DIGITAL 2.0 - Spanish, DOLBY DIGITAL 2.0 - French
 Subtitles: English, French, Spanish SDH
 SPECIAL FEATURES:
 Theatrical Trailer
 Alternate 1945 Pre-release Version with previously unissued INTRODUCTION by UCLA Film Preservation Officer Robert Gitt
 THE BIG SLEEP 1945/1946 COMPARISONS - Uncut Robert Gitt "Lecture" Version (30 Minutes). Nearly twice the length of the Comparisons feature as seen on DVD.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 20, 2016, 11:40:50 AM »

Eddie won't be making a personal appearance, but he's curated this new program for MoMA: Death Is My Dance Partner: Film Noir in Postwar Argentina
(February 10–16, 2016)
http://www.moma.org/calendar/film/1616?locale=en

I'm guessing CJ will be MIA again . . .

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 20, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »

Eddie won't be making a personal appearance, but he's curated this new program for MoMA: Death Is My Dance Partner: Film Noir in Postwar Argentina
(February 10–16, 2016)
http://www.moma.org/calendar/film/1616?locale=en

I'm guessing CJ will be MIA again . . .

don't know we were planning to go to the city around then,  Azn

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 21, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »

NO ESCAPE (1953) 6/10 (TCM)

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0046130/

Cheap little San Francisco noir, with a little bit of narration/police procedural stuff.

Lew Ayres is decent; Sonny Tufts and Marjorie Steele are shit.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
caso
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 22, 2016, 01:54:14 AM »

Coooooooool! goldenslot

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 22, 2016, 08:44:47 AM »

Eddie won't be making a personal appearance
I stand corrected. The Czar of Noir will be on the scene.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 22, 2016, 06:29:18 PM »

Both Key Largo and The Big Sleep are coming to Blu in RA soon (but no hard dates have been announced).
There are dates now for both:
KL is Feb. 16
TBS is Feb. 23

Also, dates for Too Late For Tears and Woman on the Run have been announced, both April 19th. Both come with a lot of extras. Here's what we're told about TLFT:
Flicker Alley is excited to present this world-premiere Blu-ray/DVD dual-format edition of Too Late For Tears, restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive, and passionately championed by the Film Noir Foundation, with special thanks to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Together with Woman on the Run, this film marks the first collaboration between Flicker Alley and the Film Noir Foundation.

Bonus Materials Include:
•Audio Commentary Track - By writer, historian, and film programmer Alan K. Rode.
•"Chance Of A Lifetime: The Making of Too Late For Tears" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation and featuring Eddie Muller, Kim Morgan, and Julie Kirgo, this mini-doc offers a behind-the-scenes examination of the film s original production.
•"Tiger Hunt: Restoring Too Late For Tears" -  Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation, this is a chronicle of the multi-year mission to rescue this lost noir classic.
•"Noir City" - A short documentary directed by Joe Talbot about the annual Noir City Film Festival presented by the Film Noir Foundation at San Francisco s historic Castro Theatre.
•24-Page Souvenir Booklet - Featuring rare photographs, poster art, original lobby cards, and an essay by writer and noir-expert Brian Light.
Woman on the Run has a similar package, but with Our Man Eddie doing the commentary and the essay. Of course, Eddie likes to be able to talk about his town, SF, which figures prominently in the film.

Both packages list now for $40. Hopefully, that price will come down as we get closer to release date.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 23, 2016, 03:29:54 AM »

There are dates now for both:
KL is Feb. 16
TBS is Feb. 23

Also, dates for Too Late For Tears and Woman on the Run have been announced, both April 19th. Both come with a lot of extras. Here's what we're told about TLFT:Woman on the Run has a similar package, but with Our Man Eddie doing the commentary and the essay. Of course, Eddie likes to be able to talk about his town, SF, which figures prominently in the film.

Both packages list now for $40. Hopefully, that price will come down as we get closer to release date.

Nice

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 29, 2016, 07:56:50 AM »

Today's Criterion newsletter has an upcoming release cartoon hint of a stack of plates with a word balloon coming from inside the stack saying "We're all alone here." The smart money is on an early announcement for In A Lonely Plate/Place. I look forward to such a Criterion Blu-ray.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 04, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »

Twilight Time is bringing out an encore edition of The Big Heat. So those of you who missed out on the first 3,000 copies will have a shot at a second 3,000.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »

Twilight Time is bringing out an encore edition of The Big Heat. So those of you who missed out on the first 3,000 copies will have a shot at a second 3,000.

Cool. (no pun intended, I promise.)  Thanks for the updates, as always Afro

The previous set is now really expensive on Amazon, so with the new set being released, the price will go down. I think I'll get this. Is there an expected release date?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 04, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »

I can't remember exactly, but it's later this month (either next week or the week after).

Amazon is now showing April 19th as the release date for the Try And Get Me Blu-ray. Saw either the restored print or DCP of this--beautiful--and I'm very much looking forward to the blu.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 24, 2016, 06:45:04 AM »

... and The Big Sleep are coming to Blu in RA soon (but no hard dates have been announced). TBS has some interesting extras that go beyond what was available on the DVD:

I just read that the pre-release version is only in SD. That is a real shame. Maybe the source was not in good enough shape or maybe the funds were not forthcoming.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 24, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »

I just read that the pre-release version is only in SD. That is a real shame. Maybe the source was not in good enough shape or maybe the funds were not forthcoming.
Or both. 

I think the '46 version is the superior one anyway (more Bacall), so I'm glad that one has gotten the upgrade. I just watched it last night and it looks really good, btw.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 24, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »

I actually remember preferring the original 1945 cut to the 1946 cut. However, I haven't seen either in a long time.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM