Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:33:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 367170 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 02:06:16 PM »

The next three fox noirs are (insert drum role here)...

released on the 7th March

Fallen Angel

The House On Telegraph Hill

No Way Out

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2006, 05:13:13 PM »

The next three fox noirs are (insert drum role here)...

released on the 7th March

Fallen Angel

The House On Telegraph Hill

No Way Out
Thanks.   One of the great genres is catching a little fire again.

More feeling.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »

Ok tonight I have recorded "The Girl Hunters" (1963) a Mike Hammer story with Mickey Spillane playing Hammer, should be fun.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2006, 08:09:54 AM »

For film noir fans, Warner promises to deliver in R1 land.

News taken from the bits via John Hodson's post at the dvd forums.

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - packaged with The Maltese Falcon - Dangerous Female (1931) and Satan Met a Lady (1936) (multidisc)

More Film Noir titles including Lady in the Lake (1947)

Hopefully Vol.3 of the Noir boxset will be the 'more film noir titles'. And finally, for those like me who thoroughly enjoyed last years Gangster Collection Warners are releasing

The Warner Tough Guys Collection - featuring 'G' Men (1935), Bullets or Ballots (1936), San Quentin (1937), A Slight Case of Murder (1938), Each Dawn I Die (1939) and City for Conquest (1940)

I can't wait  Grin

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »

And for those who like their PD Noirs, VCI Home Entertainment have at least been making a stab at making their noirs presentable (see the SE of Blonde Ice and the double collection of The Chase and Bury Me Dead. Well they've announced quite a few more, and the news is from Inthebalcony.com via the ever informative John Hodson again at the dvd forums.

VCI Film Noir News!

We were recently visited here In The Balcony by the fine folks at VCI Entertainment, who brought us exclusive news about some of the films noir they’re going to be releasing on DVD through their deal with Kit Parker Films.

Some of the most-requested titles (including Black Tuesday, New York Confidential, and The Stranger on Horseback) are still being finalized, but they’re going forward with two series beginning in March, Hammer Noir and Forgotten Noir. Both series are double features, and although titles may still be “tweaked”, here’s what we’re looking at so far:

The Hammer Noir Series (Note that most of these had alternate titles for the U.S. release)

Bad Blonde (a/k/a The Flanagan Boy) (1953) Directed by Reginald Le Borg. A fight promoter’s slutty wife (Barbara Payton) talks her lover into killing her husband.

The Glass Tomb (The Glass Cage) (1959) Dir. Montgomery Tully. Murder in the carnival, with Honor Blackman and John Ireland.

The Black Glove (Face the Music) (1954) Dir. Terence Fisher. A trumpet player (Alex Nicol) is accused of killing a singer.

The Big Deadly Game (Third Party Risk) (1954) Dir. Daniel Birt. While vacationing in Spain, an American (Lloyd Bridges) gets mixed up with a smuggling ring.

Heat Wave (The House Across the Lake) (1954) Dir. Ken Hughes. Mystery writer Alex Nicol is ensnared in a plot by Hillary Brooke to kill her husband.

Paid to Kill (Five Days) (1954) Dir. Montgomery Tully. Dane Clark hires a hit man to kill himself, but eventually tries to call the deal off.

Man Bait (The Last Page) (1952) Dir. Terence Fisher. Bookstore owner George Brent gets involved with his sexy clerk Marguerite Chapman, and somebody ends up dead.

The Gambler and the Lady (1952) Dir. Patrick Jenkins. A gambler (Dane Clark) tries to escape his seedy past when he falls for a beautiful high-class lady. Ooh, good title on this one, eh?

A Stolen Face (1952) Dir. Terence Fisher. Doctor Paul Henreid loses his love, Lizabeth Scott, in the war, so he creates a new one through plastic surgery, only to be surprised when the first one shows up and he’s got two Lizabeth Scotts on his hands.

Blackout (Murder by Proxy) (1954) Dir. Terence Fisher. An American in England is invited to marry a gorgeous blonde he’s just met, but he should’ve been suspicious. Didn’t he ever see Homicidal?

Terror Street (36 Hours) (1953) Dir. Montgomery Tully. Dan Duryea’s estranged wife has been murdered, and he’s been set up to take the rap.

Wings of Danger (Dead on Course) (1952) Dir. Terence Fisher. Zachery Scott is trying to clear his dead pal’s name from a counterfeiting charge.

The Forgotten Noir Series

Portland Exposé (Allied Artists, 1957) Dir. Harold Shuster. A tavern owner, blackmailed by the Mob in a protection racket, fights back after one of the gang attacks his daughter. Ed Binns, Carolyn Craig, Frank Gorshin.

They Were So Young (Lippert, 1954) Dir. Kurt Neumann. Dubbed German film about slave traders in South America. Scott Brady, Raymond Burr.

Scotland Yard Inspector (Lady in the Fog) (Lippert, 1952) Dir. Sam Newfield. An American in England is asked to help find a killer. Cesar Romero, Lois Maxwell.

Treasure of Monte Cristo (Lippert, 1949) Dir. William Berke. Crime and punishment on the streets of San Francisco, and check out this cast: Glenn Langan, Adele Jergens, Bobby Jordan, and Sid Melton!

The Shadow Man (Street of Shadows) (Lippert, 1953) Dir. Richard Vernon. Did one of the nightclub owner’s two girlfriends kill the other one? Cesar Romero, Kay Kendall, and Victor Maddern.

Fingerprints Don’t Lie (Lippert, 1951) Dir. Sam Newfield. A man is dead, and the suspect’s fingerprints are on the murder weapon – can he possibly be innocent? Richard Travis, Sheila Ryan, Tom Neal, and Lyle Talbot.

The Man from Cairo (Lippert, 1953) Dir. Ray Enright. A fortune in Nazi gold is hidden in the hills outside Algiers. Dubbed from Italian. With George Raft and several Italians.

Danger Zone (Lippert, 1951) Dir. William Berke. Hugh Beaumont is private eye Dennis O’Brien, hired to take on a couple of cases in two episodes of an unsuccessful TV series. With Tom Neal and Pamela Blake.

Loan Shark (Lippert, 1952) Dir. Seymour Friedman. George Raft goes undercover to break up an extortion ring. With Dorothy Hart and John Hoyt.

Roaring City (Lippert, 1951) Dir. William Berke. Hugh Beaumont is back in two more episodes of Danger Zone. This time, helping him are Stanley Price and Anthony Warde.

I’ll Get You (Escape Route) (Lippert, 1952) Dir. Seymour Friedman & Peter Graham Scott. An American agent (George Raft) goes to England to discover why scientists are being kidnapped and sent behind the Iron Curtain. With Sally Gray and Reginald Tate.

Pier 23 (Lippert, 1951) Dir. William Berke. Hugh Beaumont is back in two more episodes of Danger Zone. With Mike Mazurki, Ann Savage and David Bruce.

F.B.I. Girl (Lippert, 1951) Dir. William Berke. A politician tries to cover up his shady past. The good cast includes Cesar Romero, George Brent, Audrey Totter, Joi Lansing, and the comedy team of Tommy Noonan and Peter Marshall!

Shoot to Kill (Screen Arts, 1947) Dir. William Berke. A crooked D.A. is framing people, and a beautiful woman goes undercover in his office to try and prove it. Luana Walters, Russell Wade, Nestor Paiva.

We’ll let you know more info, including release dates and prices, as soon’s we get the info.

I don't know much about Hammer Noir but taking a glimpse of some of the Lost Noirs makes me anticipat with glee with that collection. As usual with PD land we won't know the quality of the films just yet but hopefully they will be at the high end of the VCI cannon.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2006, 12:08:08 PM »

Check out the Fox Film Noir "House of Bamboo" saw it last night, sort of a cross between Noir & "North By Northwest" by the great San Fuller. I was impressed with his attention to detail, it has great shots of 1954 Japan, a great train robbery sequence, just a very well done film. Robert Ryan plays black market gang leader Sandy Dawson, also with Robert Stack. Don't want to give anything away. In Cinemascope

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »

Fox's transfer of the cinemascope print is excellent + their 4 channel surround, I definatly recomend it as well Joe.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2006, 11:05:35 PM »

Check out the Fox Film Noir "House of Bamboo" saw it last night, sort of a cross between Noir & "North By Northwest" by the great San Fuller. I was impressed with his attention to detail, it has great shots of 1954 Japan, a great train robbery sequence, just a very well done film. Robert Ryan plays black market gang leader Sandy Dawson, also with Robert Stack. Don't want to give anything away. In Cinemascope
Great cool guy flick, Sam Fuller rocks, but not really a noir, it was in  COLOR!

More feeling.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2006, 06:50:48 AM »

The definition of noir changes with who you talk to. I think a few color films could be seen as noirs.  Which does remind me, here's my latest bit of noir memrobilia I have purchased. A Blonde Ice lobby card.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 06:56:50 AM by Leone Admirer » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2006, 06:59:57 AM »

cool!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »

Well, watched the Neo Noir 1975's  "Farewell, My Lovely" , being a Chandler fan, this one followed the book very closely and I was impressed. Robert Mitchum, Charlotte Rampling, John Ireland, Harry Dean Stanton, and Sly Stallone in a bit part. Moose Malloy was played by Jack O'Halloran very well, though I prefer Mike Mazurki take on Malloy from 1944's  "Murder My Sweet". Had the sleezy aspects of the novel down well.  The version I watched was on VHS, but it seems that Canada has a DVD out, don't know the quality though.

A good film to add to the collection.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2006, 05:41:41 AM »

I believe the DVD is out in the UK also, I'll have to go and check on that. I too prefer the 1944 version with Powell, the Warner DVD release of it is superb.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2006, 06:07:35 PM »

Well, watched the Neo Noir 1975's  "Farewell, My Lovely" , being a Chandler fan, this one followed the book very closely and I was impressed. Robert Mitchum, Charlotte Rampling, John Ireland, Harry Dean Stanton, and Sly Stallone in a bit part. Moose Malloy was played by Jack O'Halloran very well, though I prefer Mike Mazurki take on Malloy from 1944's  "Murder My Sweet". Had the sleezy aspects of the novel down well.  The version I watched was on VHS, but it seems that Canada has a DVD out, don't know the quality though.

A good film to add to the collection.
O'Halloran was a notorious bar bully out here in Los Angeles, big and strong, but couldn't fight a lick and as a result lost some.  I think he tried to hit a guy with his car once.

More feeling.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2006, 07:56:10 AM »

My lastest film noir lobby card purchase

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 04:52:05 PM »

Nice card, watched "Out of The Past" the other night a great filck, Jane Greer, Rrrrooough!, lol. Enjoyed it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM