Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:14:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 367340 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2006, 05:42:08 AM »

'Tis a great film and I'll second your Rrrrooough! Grin

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
KERMIT
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2006, 06:53:30 AM »

Right. I'm up for another review. Am going to set up Classic Hollywood Western DVD Discussion and Review thread soon so please keep an eye out for that. Have Updated upcoming release dates, wants and unknowns on first post. enjoy. 

Kiss Me Deadly
"Kiss Me Deadly" had few similarities with Spillane's story about a gang of dope traffickers… Instead Aldrich reworks the plot so that the criminals are mixed up in the theft of priceless and high1y dangerous radioactive material which they are planning to smuggle to an unnamed power…

US 1955
Director: Robert Aldrich
Produced: Robert Aldrich
Screenplay: A.I. Bezzerides
Cast: Ralph Meeker, Albert Decker and Marian Carr
Studio: United Artists

DVD Details

Region: R2
Studio: MGM
Transfer: Non Anamorphic 1.66.1
Sound: 2.0 Mono
Extras: Original Theatrical Trailer
Run Time: 1hr 42mins
Date of DVD Release: August 4th, 2003

Synopsis

An adaptation of Mickey Spillane's gripping novel which sees Ralph Meeker in the role of private eye Mike Hammer on the case of a missing atomic device stolen by a spy.

My Thoughts

Wow a very intriguing picture. A very harsh, brutal and nasty noir which was rather notorious on release the film is a strange 'mish mash' of elements that collide, rather like the films subject, quite explosively. The film oozes a rather unsetting mood. Mike Hammer (Meeker) seems to be stumbling around, always too late and always being hit. The interesting title sequence sets the tone for the film. Hammer picks up a girl who seems to be fleeing someone before crashing and waking up to find the girl dead. This film is a nightmare. The low budget doesn't detract, it adds to the film, emphasing the almost abstract nature of the piece. The arresting cinematography and ingenious editing give it a rapid pace, yes the story can be hard to follow but the pace is so fast it will not drag. Alright some of the acting can be a little suspect at times and perhaps the story could be presented just a tiny little more straight forward without harming the ambiguity but this is a quirky little noir that is an interesting examination into the dark elements of an already very dark genre.

A note, the back of the box displays that the R2 contains the "fully restored original ending - which contains over one minute of crucial footage that clarifies decades of false interpretations." However this package does not include the advertised shortened ending for comparison

Picture

MGM presents this disc in non-anamorphic 1.66.1 (OAR). Studios seem to be frightened of giving us anamorphic prints of 1.66.1 which is rather annoying. Oh well the transfer given here is OK, not great. The elements seem to hold up well, grain is present along with solid blacks. Artifacts and damage do show up but overall, an agreeable presentation dampened by what should have been an anamorphic presentation and a properly restored picture.

Sound

Like Dead Reckoning there is nothing remarkable, the 2.0 (wish again it was in 1.0) did its job with not much interfearance.

Extras

Just an amusing trailer. Not on MGM! (well Sony now.) I think we need a doco. This disc is a let down on the extras department (not even an enclosed booklet)

Final Score

7/10

I'll be truthful. This score only relates to the film. A good noir, let down by a poor disc Non-Anamorphic, average A/V and no important extras. Even the Universal noirs, with their lack of extras, treated the films with a little more digniity. This disk is dirt cheap though (see below) and definatly worth a watch

Leone Admirer

Links

Price Comparison:http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/16847DVD.htm
IMDB File: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048261/

Variety Review Extract

The ingredients that sell Mickey Spillane's novels about Mike Hammer, the hardboiled private eye, are thoroughly worked over in this presentation built around the rock-and-sock character. Ralph Meeker takes on the Hammer character and as the surly, hit first, ask questions later, shamus turns in a job that is acceptable, even if he seems to go soft in a few sequences.
"Kiss Me Deadly" had few similarities with Spillane's story about a gang of dope traffickers… Instead Aldrich reworks the plot so that the criminals are mixed up in the theft of priceless and high1y dangerous radioactive material which they are planning to smuggle to an unnamed power…

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 07:00:54 AM by Kermit » Logged
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2006, 07:06:28 AM »

I didn't know that, I had heard that the adaption had changed quite a few elements. Makes me want to go and read the original story now.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »

Those who have the Fox Film Noir series will recognise my next piece of noir history.

It's an Australian 13" x 30" Daybill Poster for the Eli Kazan classic, Panic In The Streets.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2006, 06:06:28 PM »

another nice find

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2006, 01:23:25 PM »

The next three fox noirs coming in June (as spotted by John Hodson)

Boomerang
Extras: Deleted Scenes
Audio commentary (Film Historians Alain Silver and Jame Ursini)
Poster Gallery
Photo gallery

House of Strangers
Extras: Trailers
Audio commentary (Film Author & Historian Foster Hirsch)
Photo gallery

I Wake Up Screaming
Extras: Trailers
Audio commentary (Film Noir Historian Eddie Muller)
Production Stills Gallery; Unit Photography Gallery
Photo gallery

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2006, 03:16:55 PM »

My latest piece of Noir history. An original press sheet for the 1949 Universal Noir Criss Cross staring Burt Lancaster and Dan Duryea.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2006, 05:53:41 PM »

cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2006, 01:21:32 PM »

My latest film noir lobby card purchases, Fallen Angel and Black Angel

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:21:07 PM by Leone Admirer » Logged

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2006, 04:34:17 PM »

Thanx for this enourmous work L.A. Your passion for cinema is undouptable. Here is my contribution :
http://people.bu.edu/rcarney/
 a very good website ,you probably know, mostly about the American director Sergio appreciated most (quoted from Conversation avec SL , NS)  who disappeared the same year (1989), having the same age (60) as Sergio:
John fabulous CASSAVETES

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2006, 05:33:05 PM »

This seems like a genre that I need to get into a lot more.  I haven't seen too many of the films being discussed, but one movie that I'm shocked no one has mentioned yet is "Double Indemnity."  I highly recommned it to anyone who hasn't seen it.  It's a Billy Wilder film (the guy that did "Sunset Boulivard").  I thought that it was one of the definitive film noir movies, which is why I'm surprised no one's mentioned it (that I noticed).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2006, 05:42:22 PM »

This seems like a genre that I need to get into a lot more.  I haven't seen too many of the films being discussed, but one movie that I'm shocked no one has mentioned yet is "Double Indemnity."  I highly recommned it to anyone who hasn't seen it.  It's a Billy Wilder film (the guy that did "Sunset Boulivard").  I thought that it was one of the definitive film noir movies, which is why I'm surprised no one's mentioned it (that I noticed).

Yea its one of the best, its a well known one, I think we've been more concentrating on the good slightly forgotton and obscure ones. The Third Man is another, also Maltese Flacon, etc., etc.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2006, 06:20:14 PM »

Thanx for this enourmous work L.A. Your passion for cinema is undouptable. Here is my contribution :
http://people.bu.edu/rcarney/
 a very good website ,you probably know, mostly about the American director Sergio appreciated most (quoted from Conversation avec SL , NS)  who disappeared the same year (1989), having the same age (60) as Sergio:
John fabulous CASSAVETES

Thank you so much for your kind words roberti, I tell you they do not go unapreciated  Smiley. Thanks ever so much for the Cassavetes link. I am a big fan of his work with my favourite being A Woman Under The Influence, followed by The Death Of A Chinese Bookie, Opening Night, and Shadows. I urge people to check out his work, the grainy shooting of Manhatten in Shadows is a work of art and I wish he did more work in New York.

Joe, I think we should set up a list of the best noirs for people to check out.

The Big Sleep, JB is one to definatly check out, along with the fabulous Murder My Sweet and Laura. In fact my best advive is to pick up the R1 Vol1. Noir boxset from Warners and the first three of the fox noirs to sort of scrape the surface. Hope this helps  Smiley

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2006, 12:45:07 PM »

My noir memorabillia collection grows larger still with the recent purchase of this press sheet for the Bogie Noir The Desperate Hours

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »

An even more recent purchase, an advert for the same film, The Desperate Hours

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM