Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 01:09:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 379409 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2006, 06:20:32 AM »

Just announced, R1 is getting a 2 disc Double Indemnity release on the 29th August. Excellent Stuff!

http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=36327

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2006, 08:17:26 AM »

Watched Kansas City Confidential 1952, yesterday, excellent noir with Lee Van Cleef,  Jack Elam, and Nevill Brand, as the three baddies, and Preston Foster as the crooked ex cop mastermind.

LVC has quite a big part playing Tony Romano, he looks abit greener than in his later tough guy parts but it was an enjoyable flick none the less.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2006, 10:08:10 PM »

Saw "The Armored Car Robbery" today not bad not great, but a middle of the road noir.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2006, 11:13:48 AM »

Regarding the three latest Fox Noir releases Boomerang, House Of Strangers, I wake Up Screaming, Boomerang has been cancelled but some copies have made themselves to the shelves of some stores. However Fox says that it should be officialy released later on this year to complete the 23 film Fox Film Noir Collection.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2006, 08:02:37 AM »

Saw an almost noirish flic yesterday called "Tension" (1950) with Richard Basehart, Audry Totter, Cyd Charisse, Barry Sullivan, and Robert Conrad, it was a good movie, recommend it to noir fans.

Directed by John Berry, with a good femme fatale by Totter.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:13:29 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »

The new Film Noir Vol. 3 Warner boxset is released next Tuesday I believe (got my order in to go along with the excellent Tough Guys Collection and my LE models of Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth). Film Noir Vol. 4, supposed to be released sometime this Winter is rumoured to contain a new restored print of Decoy.

Also heres the next three fox Noirs for release on the 29th August (info taken from DVD Times, in turn taken from the Fox press release)

Fourteen Hours (1951) - This compelling suspense drama spends its time with a tormented young man (Richard Basehart) as he teeters on a New York hotel’s 15th floor window ledge, deciding whether or not to jump. Paul Douglas plays a traffic cop, the first officer on the scene, and through his gentle, compassionate talk, he becomes the only one the man on the ledge trusts. He certainly doesn’t trust his mother (Agnes Moorehead) or ex-fiancée (Barbara Bel Geddes). The crowd below is mesmerized and for some, the fourteen hours that follow will change their lives forever. This film is notable for the film debut of Grace Kelly in a small role.

Features include:
1.33:1 Full Frame
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Historian Foster Hirsch
Interactive Pressbook Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

Shock (1946) - This post-World War II suspense thriller sets off an emotional roller coaster after the psychologically fragile wife of a POW (Anabel Shaw) witnesses a brutal murder from a hotel window while waiting to be reunited with her husband (Frank Latimer). By the time he arrives, she’s nearly comatose with shock. The hotel’s psychiatrist (Vincent Price) is called in to help. But just as she begins to recognize him as the murderer she saw, he realizes she was a witness to his crime. So he arranges to take her to his private sanitarium where he and his nurse-mistress (Lynn Bari) can insure that no one takes the young woman’s ravings seriously and they can secretly administer enough "treatment" to silence her forever. Meanwhile, her husband and the police begin to suspect that everything is not as it seems and as they get closer to the truth, this complex mystery takes some unexpected twists!

Features include:
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with John Stanley
Theatrical Trailer

Vicki (1953) - Jean Peters stars as New York cover girl Vicki Lynn, whose fame came fast and hard, and so does her murder. Her press agent Steve Christopher (Elliott Reid) and her sister Jill (Jeanne Crain) are placed under the microscope by relentless police lieutenant Ed Cornell (Richard Boone), who derives sadistic pleasure from interrogating them. And there is no lack of other suspects in Vicki’s death, despite the fact that Jill found Steve standing over the body. Suspense builds as the characters remember moments in Vicki’s lightning rise to the top of café society. Max Showalter plays Steve’s columnist pal, Carl Betz is a police detective and Aaron Spelling operates the telephone switchboard at Vicki’s hotel.

Features include:
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Historian Foster Hirsch
Poster Art Gallery
Behind-the-Scenes Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2006, 09:30:57 PM »

Kubrick's "The Killers Kiss" was on TCM tonight great little flick check it out!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2006, 10:06:22 PM »

will be watching Kubrick's "The Killing" tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it settles.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2006, 03:49:57 PM »

Review at the HTF of the new double disc edition of Double Indemnity seems to be very positive, can't wait to get my hands on it.

No news on the re-release of the Dana Andrew's starring Boomerang, but it seems we may have the excellent Marlowe adaption The Brasher Doubloon on the cards based on the Chandler book, The High Window.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2006, 08:58:41 PM »

I saw this book a while ago in Barnes & Nobel but I finally picked it up the other day "Film Noir" by Alain Silver & James Ursini, Paul Duncan (Ed.) published by Taschen 2004.

What a beautiful book full of production stills and behind the scene photos, the whole book is printed on matte black pages with white lettering (like this post).

Chapter Titles:

What is Noir
The Perfect Crime
The Fatalistic Nightmare
The Burden of the Past
The Caper Film
Docu-Noir
Love on the Run
Male Violence
Women in Film Noir
The Private Eye
Darkness & Corruption

It has a chronology, a filmography, and a bibliography.

Its a must own for anyone interested in this genre.

PS

If Hanley's book on GBU is anything like this it will be great

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2006, 05:01:15 AM »

I too own the Taschen book, it's a wonderful coffee table book, I would love to own the massivr Taschen Kubrick book they released which contained spliced footage of 2001 from the personal print of Stanley.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2006, 10:56:05 AM »

I have both of those great books, way to go Taschen. Their books on Hitchcock and John Ford are worth having as well. Why don't they have one on Sergio Leone?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2006, 01:54:42 PM »

Why don't they have one on Sergio Leone?

Good question!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2006, 12:16:01 PM »

Good news for WB Noir fans, at this link http://www.azcentral.com/ent/movies/articles/0829filmnoir0829.html we find that Warners could be releasing up to 10 DVD Noir boxsets!  Shocked  Grin

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2006, 06:36:37 AM »

Double Indemnity (1944) ...a crackling good movie...shows up on Turner Classic Movies at 8 PM...tonight..Aug. 31.
Some of the best dialogue...& one liners...ever.
Catch it if you can......baby  Cool

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM