Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:35:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Does a night pass?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does a night pass?  (Read 5427 times)
Thosefalsenotes
Road Apple

Watch me.

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2004, 02:11:34 AM »

At the bridge sequence Tuco is shown loading his gun, and of course his gun is unloaded in the cemetary. Blondie says he unloaded the gun "the night before", but there was nothing to indicate a night passed between the bridge sequence and the graveyard. What gives?

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 03:37:58 AM »

At the bridge sequence Tuco is shown loading his gun, and of course his gun is unloaded in the cemetary. Blondie says he unloaded the gun "the night before", but there was nothing to indicate a night passed between the bridge sequence and the graveyard. What gives?

The film shows the duo hiding ass up in a shell crater for quite some time, Tuco snoring, and Blodie kicking him over to awaken him and find that both armies have left. It is implied that this is the passing of a night.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 08:12:53 AM »

And this is an indication, when Blondie says that he unloaded Tuco's gun during the night; as Tuco was sleeping, you know a night passed.

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 01:56:03 PM »

The mad bit here though is that none of the soldiers woke them and said ' come on, we're off'.  They just upsticked taking everything as quiet as churchmice leaving the two of them sleeping.  A nice touch is the birds tweeting after the ferocity of the battle.  Nature returns!

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 08:26:56 AM »

The mad bit here though is that none of the soldiers woke them and said ' come on, we're off'.  They just upsticked taking everything as quiet as churchmice leaving the two of them sleeping.  A nice touch is the birds tweeting after the ferocity of the battle.  Nature returns!

They didn't belong to any company, so I guess nobody felt responsible for them. Tuco probably slept so hard he didn't hear them break camp, and Blondie didn't care, as everything went along with their plans.

My favourite moment in the sequence is the satisfied grin of the dying captain when he hears the bridge explode. He was one of the most sympathetic characters in the entire movie, an officer that actually cared for his men. So he was granted the luxury of "good news" before he died. Beautiful.  

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 09:12:52 AM »

Half-Soldier: in the late 1960s the Cotton Industry had the adverising slogan "the more cotton, the better you feel" on their TV ads.  When I watched GBU in 1968 and the doctor requests "more cotton" for the Captain, I couldn't help but wonder if that really made him feel better (but maybe it helped keep him alive long enough to hear the bridge explosion).

Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 03:16:58 AM »

Maybe Blondie and Tuco had put some cotton in their ears.  

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Sensei
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 08:54:36 AM »

Oh yea, a night definitely passes. At one point it gets very dark, you hear the crickets and snoring. The cannon fire gets more distant and it all makes it seem like a lot of time passes. Just  another brilliant Leone-scene.  Grin

If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?
Tuco
Iambusy3
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 09:05:36 PM »

Half-Soldier: in the late 1960s the Cotton Industry had the adverising slogan "the more cotton, the better you feel" on their TV ads.  When I watched GBU in 1968 and the doctor requests "more cotton" for the Captain, I couldn't help but wonder if that really made him feel better (but maybe it helped keep him alive long enough to hear the bridge explosion).

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 10:01:30 PM »

Cotten comes to HarmHim.   Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 08:29:49 PM »

Not only does a night pass but in the very next sequence apparently a few hours or at least one passes from the time they cross the river to when they reach the burnt-out chaple. You can see the river in the far off distance and they are both pretty dry.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Whiptail Moses
Road Apple

I do what i like and I like what i do.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 09:08:39 AM »

Well, you know the GBU rules..

"if it isn't happening on screen, its not there."

They do unquestionably spend the night -- look at the change in light, and the dead giveaway sounds... the crickets of night and the birds of morning.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 01:06:45 PM »

Half-Soldier: in the late 1960s the Cotton Industry had the adverising slogan "the more cotton, the better you feel" on their TV ads.  When I watched GBU in 1968 and the doctor requests "more cotton" for the Captain, I couldn't help but wonder if that really made him feel better (but maybe it helped keep him alive long enough to hear the bridge explosion).

Cant find that quote in the film..was it deleted in the dvd

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM