Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2020, 04:18:24 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  gun sound in the collectors edition
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: gun sound in the collectors edition  ( 6868 )
forget_your_life
Road Apple

random member

« : April 02, 2005, 11:52:30 PM »

i just bought the collectors ED and the guns sound lame compared to the original...they dont have the doubling up like blast to them. the new sound is like a single loud blast where as the older DVD i have sounds like Gah Gah cheew...Gah Gah cheew.

is there a thread that talks about this? i checked the search but found none. anyway

is anyone as disapointed in such a major peice of the sound being changed compleatly?

just let me go and i will pardon you.
JayC
Road Apple

« #1 : April 03, 2005, 02:16:11 AM »

I agree with you completely. I don't know if they wanted to make the gun sounds more "realistic" or what, but the film loses something essential IMO.  :'(

Fortunately I also have the "normal" version on DVD.

Più Forte!
forget_your_life
Road Apple

random member

« #2 : April 03, 2005, 03:48:02 AM »

I agree with you completely. I don't know if they wanted to make the gun sounds more "realistic" or what, but the film loses something essential IMO.  :'(

Fortunately I also have the "normal" version on DVD.
ok good, so im not crazy. i was going from the Coll ED to the original release over and over last night camparing the two and the gun were so diffeerant.

the only place i found them the same as the old version in the Coll ED was the opening credits.

does anyone prefer the Coll ED or able to get over the sound differance? to me its just to differant and distacting.

i dont see why they could'nt just recreat and match the gun sound to the old in the 5.1 audio. it  reminds me of what Lucas did to portions of dvd SW trilogy.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : April 03, 2005, 06:04:29 AM »

This was covered a while back when the DVD first came out, I'm not up with this but it was something to do with the mono to stereo or the dolby surround sound and technical problems some guys on the board were really up with it not me, unfortunately.

Anyway the gun sounds were produced by a sound engineer in a gravel pit near Rome using the actual guns the ricochetes were actual richochets due to the bullets bouncing off rocks.

Disclaimer: don't try this youself,  ;D I did some target practice in a pit once with a Colt New Frontier model and actually had a bullet fly back at me, it was almost flattened into a disk about the size of a US quater, lol. needless to say I found a more suitable spot to target practice after that.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sensei
Bandido

« #4 : April 03, 2005, 08:10:27 AM »

That's right, cigar joe. Check out my post in the A Fistful of Restored DVD's thread.

If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?
Tuco
forget_your_life
Road Apple

random member

« #5 : April 03, 2005, 12:09:35 PM »

thanx for the link sensei.

i cant belive those idiots changed the gun sound, and in the special features that guy from Triage or what ever is like " its a classic movie and needed to be restored the way Sergio would want it"  whats up with that?

anyway i cant even watch this movie now, i think i'll finish the special features and take it back to the store.

"every gun has a certain tune"  sorry not anymore.

Harmonica
Bandido

« #6 : April 05, 2005, 11:10:03 PM »

When I first watched GBU Special Edition I couldn’t frickin believe it.  I was outraged.  The gunshots sound dull and flat and they all sound the same, rifle and pistol, no difference whatsoever.  I wish the hell they could have just let them alone.  In the original each gun shot has it’s own distinctive sound and has personality and character.  These new gun shots just sound lame.

This is an excerpt from John Kirk who is the Director of Technical Services of MGM who was responsible for all of the sound changes in the Special Edition:

I felt like as long as we were going to be fixing up the picture that we needed to do something about the sound as well.  I think audiences today are use to having a bigger, fuller sound particularly for a movie like this which is obviously for the wide screen and it would have sounded, I think, rather hollow had we left it in the old mono.  Some of it was very easy to do but some of it was a little harder.  The sound effects and the music were, unfortunately on the same track Also when we were trying to spread the sound, you can’t copy a sound from the front of the screen and put it in the back at the same time without having what’s called a phasing problem So we did have to sometimes add an effect like an explosion or a gunshot or something that wasn’t in the original just in order to avoid that sound problem, and it also was necessary just because the fact that we were doing a 5.1.  When you go into that realm it changes the quality of that sound.  If we had left some of those sound effects the way that they were in the original they would have sounded awful compared to the dialog and the music.

So there you have it, some guy taking it upon himself and trying to play God and put in what he think sounds good totally disregarding Leone’s vision and messing up the soundtrack. 

I guess Blondy’s adage “Every gun makes it’s own tune…”  referring of course to Tuco’s put together bad ass gun is not true.  Every gun does not have it’s own tune in the Special Edition.  Every gun sounds the same…  >:( >:(

« : April 06, 2005, 01:03:04 AM Harmonica »

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
forget_your_life
Road Apple

random member

« #7 : April 06, 2005, 03:05:08 AM »

I guess Blondy’s adage “Every gun makes it’s own tune…”  referring of course to Tuco’s put together bad ass gun is not true.  Every gun does not have it’s own tune in the Special Edition.  Every gun sounds the same…  >:( >:(
thats exacly what i said in the my post above. the only "tune" retained is the whistle of angel eye's gun in the pillow sequence...

why does a spagetti western need 5.1? this is right up there with George Lusus style F-ups.

what the hell do i do with this awesome looking but crappy sounding version of GBU?

Unkernown
Road Apple

« #8 : April 08, 2005, 02:02:07 AM »

I'm probably just a bit thick (or unmusical) when listening to gun "tunes" in the Extended Length Version, but I can't really tell the difference.  So it doesn't really bother me!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #9 : April 08, 2005, 09:32:17 AM »

If you have the R1 Version (Which I specifically waited for last year) the Italien Mono soundtrack (as you no doubt know) was included. But I agree this does not make up for the sheer laziness of returning the gun sounds to a respectable level/if not the original sound like they should have done in the changing of the 5.1 from Theatre to Home mix! I just hope they havent ruined it on the new re-releaes of the dollars and dynamite (FAFDM has a new DTS soundtrack) Reviews are going to be up at www.dvdtimes.co.uk on Sunday from 6pm UK Time. These should be interesting. Also, an insider on the R1 projects said the inclusion of the original English mono on the R1 releases will be unlikely and may well be delayed as Sony's restoration department may have a go at these DVD's if they dont feel the prints are up to scratch. Could be good news? Hopefully.  :(

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
forget_your_life
Road Apple

random member

« #10 : April 14, 2005, 01:23:41 AM »

the Italian momo version encluded on the Coll. ED has better gun sound but i can tell its still not the same.

i think im going to have to sell off this disc. its to distracting to hear the flat gun noise. its just taints the whole expireance for me.

the French trailer is cool, but not worth keeping when i have the 1st MGM realease.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #11 : April 14, 2005, 10:12:04 AM »

Have to agree. It renders the re-release (imo) useless. The SPAG gunfire was one of the main attractions of LEONES movie(s) when I saw them back in the 60's. The gunfire here could have bin' taken from an episode of Bonanza! A major dissapointment.

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines