Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:33:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Un dollaro tra i denti aka A Stranger in Town (1966)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Un dollaro tra i denti aka A Stranger in Town (1966)  (Read 10870 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 08:51:37 AM »

check out " return of the stranger" tonight!
Yeah maybe-definately soon! Wink

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 05:06:54 AM »

SILENZIO'S REVIEW:-

A Stranger in Town

This was a pretty stock, low-budget spaghetti, but it was able to keep me entertained.  The story is nothing special, it starts off mirroring (or, i suppose mimicking would be a better word) A Fistful of Dollars, but after about twenty minutes it starts to develop a slightly different story (although a few more allusions to Fistful can be seen less frequently throughout the movie).  The first twenty minutes of FoD rip-offs are actually pretty well made, and after the FoD rip-offs it's still good.  The desert scenes appear to be filmed in the same dump where the first Sartana movie was shot.  However, after the half-way mark the film slows down to a crawl (literally, Anthony is wounded and sneaking around the town [sound familiar?]) and brings nothing new to the table.  I found myself checking to see how soon it would be over.  But, luckily, for the last half hour the film really picks up again.  I like to see Anthony disposing baddies with a shotgun.  As i think i mentioned earlier, Anthony and Wolff have pretty stock characters, but they do decent jobs.  I'd like to see Anthony bring more of a "touch" to his character like he did with Blindman.

Arizona Colts review:-

A STRANGER IN TOWN- 1966-Tony Anthony in Luigi Vanziís sort of remake of FISTFUL OF DOLLARS. Frank Wolff is very good as the leader of the bandit gang. Another average western thatís not bad just not particularly memorable.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:13:44 PM by Banjo » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »

Watched what I recorded off of TCM today, entertaining, but nothing to shout about.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:48:42 AM »

Watched what I recorded off of TCM today, entertaining, but nothing to shout about.

The sequel is much more watchable and the third is excellent.
The fourth is okay but overly silly.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »

I enjoyed Stranger in Town, but its not one I'll find myself watching over and over again.  Anthony and Wolff were both very good I thought, especially Wolff, but other than those two no one in the cast really stood out.  The long silences were odd and like Silenzio's review said, it made me want to fast forward through long parts, and it was only 84 minutes to begin with!

The ending made up for it with the Stranger dispatching Aguila's men with a shotgun, man, he sure had a lot of shells, and I liked the upgrade from FoD.  Screw pistol vs. rifle, let's amp it up to double-barreled shotgun vs. machine gun.  It did make me think about Frank Wolff. He has to be one of the top 5 actors in the "how many times have i been killed in a spaghetti" category.

One thing that confused me a lot was the Stranger posing as a cavalry officer.  The US officer seems to know he's not who he says he is, but he gives him the gold anyway?  Was it just because of the machine gun, or was I missing something?  And the cavalry appearing at the end was unnecessary.

Overall, I'll go 5/10, I might have gone 6 if the theme wasn't played 8, 350 times. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 10:41:06 AM »

I have mixed feelings about this movie. While I found it quite watchable, it has too many similarities with FoD for my liking. The stranger's looks resemble Eastwood's (except that Tony is not nearly as high as Clint  Wink) and Frank Wolff's looks resemble a lot Gian Maria Volonte's. The opening is almost a remake of FoD, but without Leone's inimitable touch. The scene of the stranger peeking into the young mother's room is also a virtual copy and paste from FoD. I also found the musical score from Benedetto Ghiglia quite acceptable, but not nearly as good as Morricone's score in FoD. Besides, it becomes soooooo repetitive (it has virtually no variations) that it becomes virtually annoying.

Also, what the heck were the tracks and tipping wagons doing in the middle of the village's main street? I have seen many SWs and American westerns, but I don't recall seeing that kind of bizarre arrangement before. I know the tipping wagons play a crucial role in the final fight between the stranger and Aguila, but I think their presence in the middle of town is totally out of place.

On the positive side, there is also quite a bit of kick-ass action. And the lesbian scene...well, that's definitely NOT from FoD.  Cheesy

Definitely, a low budget movie where the actors did not develop their full potential. It could have been much, much better, but it seems it was made at a time where mass production was far more important than quality.

5/10

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM