Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 09:43:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Un dollaro tra i denti aka A Stranger in Town (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Un dollaro tra i denti aka A Stranger in Town (1966)  (Read 11084 times)
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2005, 07:01:41 PM »

has anyone seen this film, apparently a pastiche of Fistful of Dollars and Django starring Tony Anthony (yes that is his real name believe it or not) as the nameless stranger, and Frank Wolff as a baddie!! (is that possible!!!). Saw review on Shobary's website hes quite complimaentary then again he likes Django. Id like a second opinion if poss.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 05:08:24 AM »

I saw the same thing and am inclined to give it a go, from Shobary's review, so far he has similar opinions to mine. The only drawback was the quality of the picture, he enhanced the stills for the review. I'm patiently awating his reviews in cue.

Blindman with Tony Anthony was a lot of fun so this may not be bad. I'll post if I ever get around to getting a DVD.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 11:25:55 AM »

cheers cj, if i can stump up the cash ill invest

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 02:15:45 PM »

This is the first of The Stranger films that I have seen. So, as usual, here's my review (and apologies in advance for the odd corny comment!!).

A STRANGER IN TOWN
"A Stranger in Town" is the first of Tony Anthony's "Stranger" films - a character heavily borrowed from Eastwood/Leone's "Man With No Name". As I understand it, the aim of these films was to take the European vision of a western to a wider American audience. Which it successfully achieved.

The Stranger (Anthony) arrives in town to witness a brutal massacre of Mexican soldiers by a gang of bandits led by Aguila (Frank Wolff). Before the execution, Aguila assures the soldiers that he is "a fair man" - a regularly uttered pronouncement throughout the film. The death of so many men demonstrates otherwise.

The Stranger agrees to work with the bandits, who are now clad in the soldiers uniforms, to help steal gold from the US army. The plan is successful, but the Stranger is soon double-crossed once he arrives to collect his 50% share (despite Aguila being "a fair man"). After a beating, he escapes with the gold, and is pursued by the gang......

Whilst there are obvious similarities between this movie and the Dollars Trilogy - in particular a Fistful of Dollars - this is an enjoyable film in its own right. It lacks the class of Leone, and the cool of Eastwood, but Anthony and Director Luigi Vanzi never tried to mimic these aspects, concentrating instead on the action and violence. Indeed, Anthony's Stranger never appears invincible, and remains likable throughout what is a very simplistic story.

The star of the show however is Frank Wolff - a man that does not know the meaning of a bad performance. Based largely on Volente's Ramon, Aguila is equally as barbaric, but just a little more clumsy. And "a fair man!". Of course!

There is very little dialogue in the whole movie, playing on the cliché of what we (or I imagine, more realistically, what the general American audience of that time) expect from a Spaghetti Western. Quite intentionally. The fact that there are few words puts great pressure on the quality of Benedetto Ghiglia's score - which thankfully stands up to this task.

All in all, A Stranger in Town makes up for what it lacks in class and story with entertaining characters and good fight sequences. The beginning sequence where the Mexican soldiers are led into town by a group of singing monks - who soon cast off their robes and reveal themselves as Aguila and his gang - immediately persuades the viewer that this will be an enjoyable film. The final confrontation between the two main stars is equally as effective.

It is not (and doesn't pretend to be) one of the greatest Spaghetti Westerns. In fact, Aguila would probably proclaim it as a "fair" film. And this time he wouldn't be lying. Good fun, and recommended.

(If you've seen it, please feel free to vote for it at the poll at http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns/reviews/astrangerintown.html )

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:42:37 PM »

I bought this double feature made by Alfa-Digital and was completely shocked by what I saw.  Let me preface this next statement with the fact that I was fully aware I was ordering a less than pristine DVD.  But what I saw pop up in the lower right hand corner was...well lets say it was at the least, unexpected.  The following screenshot should show you what I mean.

It looks, to me, like the good folks at Alpha-Digital decided to record the TCM broadcast of A Stranger in Town and mass market it as their own transfer.  Talk about balls.  I can't wait to watch The Stranger Returns!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 10:53:41 AM »

Thanx to another contributor I got me a copy. I generally agree with Marco's observations. Still I think that after a good start the movie, after the episode of the escape of the stranger knows not where to go to and stretches the (un)action too much. A pity. The final duel between Aquila and the Stranger shows signs of originality.
Quite unusual the lesbian scene (I always welcome them!) and the fact that the second half is almost completely silent.
I disagree about the score. I think that the openeing theme is quite pedestrian and badly arranged (I wouldn't have chosen a guitar for the theme. Maybe a brass section would have come off better). Passable the final them (that with the bycicle bell).   

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »

Thanx to another contributor I got me a copy. I generally agree with Marco's observations. Still I think that after a good start the movie, after the episode of the escape of the stranger knows not where to go to and stretches the (un)action too much. A pity. The final duel between Aquila and the Stranger shows signs of originality.
Quite unusual the lesbian scene (I always welcome them!) and the fact that the second half is almost completely silent.
I disagree about the score. I think that the openeing theme is quite pedestrian and badly arranged (I wouldn't have chosen a guitar for the theme. Maybe a brass section would have come off better). Passable the final them (that with the bycicle bell).   

Surprised you enjoyed this but hated "Blindman".
"Stranger in town" to me is entertaining but even I realize it has many short-comings. To me the film is very Bland but you still manage to sit through it. The final duel with the Stranger hiding behind the mind carts is interesting but not used very well.
I think the film mainly suffers from lack of humor which is accompanied in the rest of Anthony's westerns. Wasnt until the sequel that Anthony becomes less Eastwood and more...um...Tony Anthony.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 02:43:05 AM »

To me the film is very Bland .
And you talked me into getting this Firecracker?  Angry Grin
I'll have to give it a look! Roll Eyes

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 11:06:36 AM »

In Blindman you don't have Frank Wolff, the plot tends to repeat itself, the jokes are lame (the ones of the Blindman are secondary school's level) and once you got in the novelty of the blind hero, that's that. In S. in Town you have many elements of interest, though the production values are lower. For example the shooting in the dark, the scene you don't know how it will end between Gia Sandri and the Stranger. I could go on and on. They are small things but they're there.   

I was referring to the final part of the duel: Leone-inspired but with a different twist.

Sure, the second advebnture of the Starnger is better than both these movies.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:32:41 PM »

And you talked me into getting this Firecracker?  Angry Grin
I'll have to give it a look! Roll Eyes

yeah like I said. trashy but you sit through it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 12:35:49 PM »

In Blindman you don't have Frank Wolff, the plot tends to repeat itself, the jokes are lame (the ones of the Blindman are secondary school's level) and once you got in the novelty of the blind hero, that's that. In S. in Town you have many elements of interest, though the production values are lower. For example the shooting in the dark, the scene you don't know how it will end between Gia Sandri and the Stranger. I could go on and on. They are small things but they're there.   

Can't really see Frank Wolff as a plus in this movie...he was a bad choice for this role. It should have gone to Fernando Sancho or Jose Bodalo. Also the second act is quite draggy...The Stranger just sneaks around aimlessly looking for the gold for a good 15 minutes.
Everything else I agree with(except that you say Blindman is boring). The editing in the last confrontation between Stranger and Augilla where they both reload their guns is quite good.
The soundtrack is not as forgettable as one might think at first listen.

Can't wait to see the third installment "The silent stranger" (aka stranger in Japan)...looks like it could be the most entertaining of the four stranger films...
let me know what you think of the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQF4ej2IPlQ

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:19:28 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 08:17:27 AM »

Finally played the dvd yesterday and its a better sw than i expected-Howard Hughes in his pocket guide gave it 2 out of 5,i'd bump it up to 3 out of 5.Both Hughes and (i'm sure) Shobary are very critical of the musical score being repetative and grating.Its actually more varied than they would have you believe and the main guitar riff accompaniment and Morricone like sound effects are very good.
However the plot is rather ploddy,theres virtually a none existance of locations, with Aguilas gang and the Stranger seemingly stuck together like glue throughout with  the Stranger repetatively being captured,tortured and escaping-before the ok finale.
    Not bad but not great either! Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 08:29:52 AM »

Not bad but not great either! Roll Eyes

It's missing the humor of it's sequels.
I really cannot stand those sneaking scenes. The Stranger sneaks around everything throughout the whole film.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 08:45:12 AM »

It's missing the humor of it's sequels.
I really cannot stand those sneaking scenes. The Stranger sneaks around everything throughout the whole film.
Yes i don't think it'll warrant too many repeat viewings.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 08:48:54 AM »

Yes i don't think it'll warrant too many repeat viewings.

check out " return of the stranger" tonight!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM