Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 06:29:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Searchers (1956)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Searchers (1956)  (Read 31700 times)
KERMIT
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 07:25:35 PM »

i'm sentimental about "the shootist". the duke seams to be walking alone dealing with his cancer{in the film}

also,  the way he handled  valance in the steak dropping scene.  he also knows when to back down in order to fight another day. 

also, good going groggy.  Grin

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 07:27:33 PM by KERMIT » Logged
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 09:16:03 PM »

i agree with all of you on different things... I do think the story of the searchers sucks.... and i do love the man who shot liberty valance, but the searchers is the only movie john ford really showcased his directorial talents, aside from being simple that is... he really let go, and it looks great, great enough for me to think it's his best film and better than valance, mostly because i tend to be bias towards great directing than anything else.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 03:54:47 PM »

For a terrific read and in-depth look at JOHN FORD and indeed Mr. WAYNE and his approach to the character of ETHAN EDWARDS (the searchers), check out JOSEPH McBRIDES jaw droppingly detailed book SEARCHING FOR JOHN FORD. And as a companion but shorter read you won't beat WOODY STRODES book GOAL DUST. You won't be sorry!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 04:20:17 PM »

Forgot to mention in above. A must read in regards to FORD, WAYNE and the entire FORD COMPANY is an incredibly detailed book by one who was there, HARRY CAREY JR.
A short review I came across say's more than I ever could about this western movie fan's must have. (below)
Company Of Heroes is the story of the making of this film (3 Godfathers), as well as the eight subsequent Ford classics. In it, Harry Carey, Jr. casts a remarkably observant eye on the process of filming Westerns by one of the true masters of the form. From She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Wagon Master to The Searchers and Cheyenne Autumn, he shows the care, tedium, challenge, and exhilaration of movie-making at its highest level.
Ah, perfect summer's day read. Enjoy!   Wink

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 04:22:20 PM by Belkin » Logged

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 05:23:52 PM »

i agree with all of you on different things... I do think the story of the searchers sucks.... and i do love the man who shot liberty valance, but the searchers is the only movie john ford really showcased his directorial talents, aside from being simple that is... he really let go, and it looks great, great enough for me to think it's his best film and better than valance, mostly because i tend to be bias towards great directing than anything else.
True, The Searchers does look good, but that's not enough for me. More and more, I've come to think that My Darling Clemintine is Ford's best film: a rock solid plot , great performances, and photography that makes me think of film noir. That is one great piece of directing. Of course, it's not a film with Wayne..........

Groggy, I didn't mean that the Duke deserved an Oscar *only* for True Grit. The fact that he never earned one previous to that wasn't his fault.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 03:55:17 PM »

see i think that My Darling Clementine and many other Ford films are soppy and i must admit i agree with leone to an extent, they are too triumphalist. Its the ones that question the 'American Way', The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Sergeant Rutledge, theyre his best films IMO.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 04:24:56 PM »

Last Saturday I switched on the radio in the car. A very familiar voice just finishing a dicussion on Radio 4 about The Searchers.. it was Christopher Frayling.

You can listen to it again on the BBC website here BBC Radio 4 16/04/06
but you will need a real audio player handy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 08:18:01 PM »

see i think that My Darling Clementine and many other Ford films are soppy and i must admit i agree with leone to an extent, they are too triumphalist. Its the ones that question the 'American Way', The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Sergeant Rutledge, theyre his best films IMO.
Some Ford films *are* soppy: but My Darling Clementine? I suggest you see it again. I'd say it has a much harder edge than TMWSLV.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 09:02:52 PM »

The Searchers, Liberty Valence, and Red River, stand out because JW did not play himself.  Playing John Wayne I mean.  The characters were either obsessive or losers, both touch the soul.
I think of these 3 as being his best.  The Searchers touched some kind of nerve in the 50s.  Of course, Holly's song, "That'll  Be the Day" was inspired by the movie, or so I've heard.  Seems that many young men were affected by it , including Robert Wagner, who did not get the part of Jeffrey Hunter.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005, 05:14:03 AM »

Djimbo, nice job bringing up "Sergeant Rutledge".  I've always liked that film and thought it was unjustly underrated, with great performances by Jeffrey Hunter and Woody Strode.  I think the only reason it isn't more popular is because John Wayne wasn't in it.

Another good Wayne performance is "The Wake of the Red Witch".  The movie's kinda weird, but it's a very good acting job at least.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 02:53:01 PM »

I've put this in this forum due to the fact that Ford's film had a bit of an effect on Sergio.

Next year, WB's have confirmed that they are releasing a Special Edition DVD of John Ford's the Searchers. This will include a brand new restored digital transfer and soundtrack to coincide with the films 50th Aniversary. Also, supposedly a Ford and Wayne will also be released by WB perhaps including this film along with a new version of Ford's Stagecoach. I'll keep you posted for any more info.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 04:58:02 AM by Leone Admirer » Logged

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 11:46:38 PM »

shit I wish they would just get on the ball and release some unreleased classics rather than just pump out special editions... the searchers dvd I have now is pretty damn good... but hey thats how the business works.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 07:08:40 PM »

Djimbo, nice job bringing up "Sergeant Rutledge".  I've always liked that film and thought it was unjustly underrated, with great performances by Jeffrey Hunter and Woody Strode.  I think the only reason it isn't more popular is because John Wayne wasn't in it.

I liked "Sergeant Rutledge"........perhaps it didn't receive proper acclaim because it really wasn't an 'action-adventure'....although the 'action' scenes were done well...& it's use of flashbacks & courtroom scenes might have contributed to a bit of choppiness in the flow of the movie.
Some of the acting bordered on the histrionic...but a good script...some of the good old John Ford visuals that could still produce a chill..& some fine moments...Rutledge's "I'm a man" speech a particularly terrific scene.
Yes..very underrated..undeservedly so.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2006, 08:00:22 PM »

My God this is an old topic you dredged up Angel. . .  Grin

I've seen "The Searchers" about three times since and I renige on my position, it's one of my favorites now.  Wayne is great and Ward Bond and Jeffrey Hunter are excellent supporting characters.  Unlike most people I actually like the Swedes and Hank Worden, they add a lot of color to the film.  And I like the "polite" fistfight between Hunter and Ken Curtis - dunno why but that made me bust a gut.

I'd love to "Sergeant Rutledge" again, Woody Strode's the man. 

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 11:11:36 PM »

I'd love to "Sergeant Rutledge" again, Woody Strode's the man. 

If you like Strode you should probably catch "Keoma" sometime. That is probably his best performance.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM