Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2022, 01:09:41 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Trivia Games (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Something interesting...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Something interesting...  ( 5627 )
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« : May 08, 2005, 08:25:35 PM »

I was reading the Trivia for Leone's movies on IMDB and I came accross something interesting:

For OUATITW:

When Henry Fonda was trying to decide whether to be in this film, he asked his friend Eli Wallach, who had just made Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (1966) with Sergio Leone, if he should take the part of Frank. Wallach said that he had to do it and told Fonda, "You will have the time of your life."

For DYS:

When James Coburn (who had been offered roles in Per un pugno di dollari (1964) and C'era una volta il West (1968)) was offered the role of Sean by Leone, he was initially reluctant. He had dinner with Henry Fonda (star of "Once Upon A Time In The West"), and asked him what he thought of Leone. Fonda told him that he considered Leone the greatest director he ever worked with. Coburn then took the part.

Is there any truth to these claims? If so that's interesting :o

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #1 : May 11, 2005, 12:08:07 PM »

the same thing is writen in something to do with death... i believe it is true.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #2 : May 11, 2005, 04:57:08 PM »

fonda admitted the first bit in an interview but didnt mention wallach by name, dunno bout the second bit tho.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

« #3 : May 13, 2005, 02:29:02 AM »

Well, I guess that Coburn wanted to play in DYS just if Leone directed the movie, because at first, he was just the productor. I believe it's the same story for Steiger. I read this in "Conversation avec Sergio Leone". I know Noddles read it too; do you remind?

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #4 : May 13, 2005, 10:47:24 AM »

"are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?"  8)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #5 : May 13, 2005, 08:58:50 PM »

"I'll bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan."

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #6 : May 14, 2005, 02:33:21 AM »

;)

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #7 : May 14, 2005, 08:19:54 PM »

Well, I guess that Coburn wanted to play in DYS just if Leone directed the movie, because at first, he was just the productor. I believe it's the same story for Steiger. I read this in "Conversation avec Sergio Leone". I know Noddles read it too; do you remind?

From what i can recall the story according to fraylings bio is that peter bogdanovich started out as director(actually made it to the first day of shooting, so coburn and steiger were on board), but because of leone's overwhelming presence on set and refusal to back down as the final say on all creative control(i'm paraphrasing) pb stepped down(or was fired, who is to say)... upon looking for a replacement he talked with peckinpah a couple of times but it didn't really work out(i would guess surprise funding for straw dogs would have something to do with it, although only an educated guess)... after sammy fell through coburn and steiger demanded that leone take over or they would walk... and he did.

all according to my memory of reading fraylings bio several times.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #8 : May 15, 2005, 11:30:43 AM »

Another story I remember hearing was the final clincher on Leone directing was when he tried to appease Rod Steiger by saying he was getting in some minor Italian director (can't remember the name) saying "he's just like me", upon which Steiger replied "Ok, I'll get my cousin to play the part of Juan - he's just like me".

It's class.
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #9 : May 17, 2005, 01:49:17 PM »

There is no reason to believe IMDB Trivia is wrong.

Even De Niro, who worked a lot with Scorcese, said the best director he worked with was Leone.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines