Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 08:49:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hannie Caulder (1971)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hannie Caulder (1971)  (Read 12851 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »

I don't know if anybody's written about this very bizarre but worthwhile Western on these boards yet, but I watched on AMC and decided to put my two cent's worth in.

Very enjoyable movie, it drags a bit some points but I liked it.  Raquel Welch gave a very good performance as the title character, and it was great fun to see Ernest Borgnine, Jack Elam, and Strother Martin all as the most inept and sleazy bandidos in Western history.  I've always been a big Strother fan and I loved his work here, his character made Coffer from "The Wild Bunch" look sane and well-educated.  Robert Culp was so-so IMO, I didn't think too much of him, though he did have some good scenes/dialogues.  Stephen Boyd's Preacher guy was interesting but only the movie for maybe a minute; he's like a Leone character who stops by for a visit.

I'd give it a 7/10, and if I come across it again I'll try to watch it.  Anybody else see this film?

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 05:32:56 AM »

I agree with derringdo points also I thought the gunfight at the prison/fort was a bit lame.

This one of the films that could benefit from a remake.

There are a few other SW's that may also benefit the same way (Django) for one with a bigger budget, could be a real cool remake. I think the dopey English dubbing hurt Django, if you watch it in Italian with the subtitles at least it doesn't distract from the film.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 06:06:29 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 03:27:28 PM »

I agree with derringdo points also I thought the gunfight at the prison/fort was a bit lame.

This one of the films that could benefit from a remake.

There are a few other SW's that may also benefit the same way (Django) for one with a bigger budget, could be a real cool remake. I think the dopey English dubbing hurt Django, if you watch it in Italian with the subtitles at least it doesn't distract from the film.

Agreed about the climactic gunfight.  Borgnine's death was way too histrionic.  Not sure whether to blame him or Burt Kennedy for that.  (Unlike a lot of people here, I think Borgnine's a fine actor, and he did good for most of the movie, just not that particular scene.)

And I thought Christopher Lee was very good, I didn't recognize him at first.  Shocked Nice character role for him to sink his teeth (pun not intended) into.

I agree with a lot of what derringdo said as well, though I personally didn't have too big of a problem with the rape scene.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 03:31:55 PM »

Groggy if you like Borgnine. check out his cameo as "Rolling Star" in Renegade/Blueberry a nice SW twist.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 07:56:49 PM »

I always had a problem with the way the three brothers were portrayed.  They've raped Hannie and killed her husband, but they're presented as the Three Stooges of the west.  We're supposed to laugh at them, but you just don't feel right doing it.

Nonetheless, a very good western.  Hope it gets a dvd release.

KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 07:18:47 AM »

Rufus Clements: I stole a Bible, Emmett. Do you want to read over Frank?
Emmett Clements: You know damn right well I can't read! The hell with him anyway!
Rufus Clements: You shouldn't have done that, Emmett. You're gonna get God mad at us and he's liable to...
Emmett Clements: Shut your damn mouth!
Rufus Clements: Well, I want to say something over Frank!
Emmett Clements: Well, say it and get it the hell over with!
Rufus Clements: All right... Frank... you're dead! Frank... damn if I don't miss you already! 

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 02:55:18 PM »

I always had a problem with the way the three brothers were portrayed.  They've raped Hannie and killed her husband, but they're presented as the Three Stooges of the west.  We're supposed to laugh at them, but you just don't feel right doing it.

Nonetheless, a very good western.  Hope it gets a dvd release.

I agree. The "comic relief" is severely handicapped after that instance, unless of course you're the kind of sicko that thinks rape is funny. What were they thinking? Good film otherwise.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 03:58:18 PM »

Great dialgoue, Kermit.

I personally liked the scene where the Clements were arguing over how inept each other were, and Rufus is trying to shirk responsibility for "accidentally" killing his Pa.

Rufus: Now, it's YOUR fault that Pa ain't here today!
Emmett: You're the one who shot him!
Rufus: I'M TELLING YA, I was just cleaning my gun!  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about his face . . .
Frank: You mean, what was left of it!

Always fun to see Strother in hammy freak-out mode.  Wink

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 09:27:32 PM »

Of course Raquel is great to look at, but I did enjoy Culp's character as well as Christopher Lee's.
The early 70s were a strange time for comics and subject matter.  Some things said then, cannot be said now.  Comics did stand up routine as drunks or druggies, not so funny now.  Maybe I just got older.  Rape was joked about, and so was the N word, see Blazing Saddles.  Try some of that now and see how far it takes you in entertainment.  Look what happened to Andrew Dice Clay.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 03:22:02 AM »

Yea, and an X rated movie won an academy award.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 07:51:58 AM »

Very, very short notice, but AMC has this movie on today at noon, in case anyone is interested.  Undecided

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 08:39:13 PM »

I did enjoy the hot tub scene.  I still remember how my breath caught  when Raquel stood up, only to reveal  that she was wearing the pants.  Well, as a teenager in the 70s, that was still pretty hot stuff.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 04:14:03 PM »

I'm not one hundred percent sure, but wasn't Aldo Sambrell one of the Mexican soldiers in the opening bank heist?  The one that looks out a window and Strother says to "I. . . LOVE . . . YOU!" before shooting him?  It looked a lot like him, and he's listed on the IMDB.  Can anyone verify?

Tim
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 08:48:15 PM »

Groggy, that is Aldo in that opening scene if you're still looking for an answer three months later.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 04:16:18 PM »

LOL a bit late, but thanks anyway Tim.  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM