Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:19:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hour of the Gun (1967)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hour of the Gun (1967)  (Read 7874 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2005, 06:01:42 AM »

Good news copied from over at the SW board, John Sturges' HOUR OF THE GUN with James Garner as a badass Wyatt Earp, Jason Robards as Doc, and Robert Ryan,  also HUNTING PARTY, INVITATION TO A GUNFIGHTER with Brynner, JOHNNY RENO (one of AC Lyles' cheapies), SAM WHISKEY with Burt (Reynolds) and Clint (Walker), SCALPHUNTERS with Burt (Lancaster), Telly and Don Vadis, and WATERHOLE #3 with James Coburn are all going to be released on DVD on the same day..........................MAY 17TH!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 08:57:19 PM »

Got this the other day, MGM release, has James Garner as Earp, Jason Robards as Doc, Robert Ryan as Ike Clanton,and a bunch of TV actors recognizeable in countless 50's westerns, Albert Salmi, Jon Voight, to name a few.

Here is another dissapointment, I remember it as being cool at the time I saw it but its a typical pre SW western, it has a bit more blood but its still plays like a TV western. Not much of a soundtrack and a lot of boring courtroom scenes. A waste of talent.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 04:16:51 PM »

Cheers for the warning!  I'll put it lower down my list of "wants"!!!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:00:50 PM »

Gee, CJ, the film is not as bad as all that. The courtroom scenes are mercifully short, there are no female characters to get in the way of the action, and Robards is great in what has to be considered a prep role for Cheyenne. Also (Groggy take note) it contains another great performance by Robert Ryan. I rather like this film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 04:23:26 AM »

No its not as bad as all that, but its slower paced and really does remind me of a TV show. ;-)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 06:09:33 AM »

Gee, CJ, the film is not as bad as all that. The courtroom scenes are mercifully short, there are no female characters to get in the way of the action, and Robards is great in what has to be considered a prep role for Cheyenne. Also (Groggy take note) it contains another great performance by Robert Ryan. I rather like this film.

Jason Robards and Robert Ryan?  I'm all aquiver.  Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 04:12:12 AM »

No its not as bad as all that, but its slower paced and really does remind me of a TV show. ;-)

Agree with Cj on this one, it is not for everyone.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »

there's no way getting around that it's a colossal disappointment. I completely agree with CJ on this one.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »

there's no way getting around that it's a colossal disappointment.

Well I went in with no expectations at all so maybe that's why I found this to be the best (and most historically accurate) flick about the "Gunfight at the OK corral". That isn't saying much considering Ford's attempt (though wonderful to look at) has a horrible pacing problem about an hour in, the Sturges version is too stagey and the romance gets in the way.
Tombstone is mostly overrated. Feels very TVish since we don't leave the town often.

This one gets the messy OK corral business over with within the first 3 minutes. I didn't think the court room scenes were very lengthy and they gave the film a sense of realism (how many times have we seen a town gunfight in a western and nobody even getting a slap on the wrist by the justice system?).
The only major disappointment is the ending. What was set up to be a grandiose gunfight between Earp and Ike Clanton is watered down to a slap dash exchange of bullets.

7/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:19:21 PM »

The only major disappointment is the ending. What was set up to be a grandiose gunfight between Earp and Ike Clanton is watered down to a slap dash exchange of bullets.
Huh? Doesn't the film end with Wyatt visiting Doc in the sanitarium? Or am I mis-remembering . . . ?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:32:08 PM »

there wasn't any urgency to the film, no tension built. it was too lackadaisical, and not in a rio bravo-esque manner. from a visual standpoint, very bland, nothing to really look at. the acting was respectable but the writers didn't give robards, ryan, and to a lesser extent, garner enough to really impress. overall, a decent picture, but should have been much better considering the talent involved.

verdict: a very half-assed movie.

and my darling clementine is probably one of the greatest AWs ever made. you should watch that one again. It's not perfect, but I think you're greatly overstating any pacing issues.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »

and my darling clementine is probably one of the greatest AWs ever made. you should watch that one again. It's not perfect, but I think you're greatly overstating any pacing issues.

I will give it another watch sometime down the road again.  I just feel the romance is crow barred in there just to justify the title.

And DJ, I meant the climax. Not the ending. Sorry.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 10:26:05 PM »

I will give it another watch sometime down the road again.  I just feel the romance is crow barred in there just to justify the title.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on MDC.

and I have to admit that your complaint is legitimate, although I don't think it comes close to High Noon type levels, but that's just me. the movie would be better w/out the character but I believe it the whole love angle was done relatively well.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »

I was just about to give this another try when I realized someone recorded something else on that VHS cassette, over the movie of course... What an a-hole!!!!!

The sad thing's that it was very probably me... Undecided Cry

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 05:53:37 PM »

Banjo rocks.  Afro

Seen: Hour of the Gun (1967)

7/10

Has some badass material, quite enough blood, an ok Wyatt (they seem all the same), Jason Robards as Doc (rocks), Robert Ryan as Ike (needs more screen time, he's too awesome).

The final duel ruined it. Too fast and anticlimatic after all that long set-up. It could've been way better with a longer wait before shoots, some closeups (especially Ryan... he could express so much with his eyes) and Morricone music.  Wink

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM