Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:59:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Escape/Lou Castel
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Escape/Lou Castel  (Read 1854 times)
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2005, 12:17:44 PM »

I was watching The Great Escape the other day and noticed something. In the scene where Richard Attenbrough and David McCallum have just got off the train, there is an assassin who shoots someone and is in turn shot himself. It looks to me like the assassin is played by Lou Castel, who most of us probably know best as Tate/El Gringo in "Bullet for the General". It's a bit hard to tell for most of it because he is wearing glasses, but in the shot where he dies on the railway track his glasses have fallen off and you get a good look at his face - I'm almost certain it's him. He's not in the credits though and this is really starting to bug me now - does anyone who has it on DVD or video want to back me up?

It's class.
Tim
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 07:59:37 PM »

It is most definitely not Lou Castel.  The character is Eric Ashley-Pitt played by David McCallum.  Gordon Jackson played Mac, the man who escapes with Richard Attenborough's character.

Hope this helps.

Beebs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:03:20 AM »

I agree. The only one I remember is Ashley-Pitt who kills teh Gestapo but is then killed on the tracks by another SS or Gestapo. One thing I find interesting is James Coburn and Charles Bronson are both in it as both are in Hard Times and The Magnifacent Seven. OUTIW was the first movie I saw Charles Bronson with out James Coburn.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM