Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 04:32:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Collecting Sergio Leone Memorabilia
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Collecting Sergio Leone Memorabilia  (Read 21955 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:36 AM »

I bought them all at once!!! Very expensive, but what the hell, it's my favourite movie!!!!
/D

Like some film trailers, I think some of these lobby cards give away too much of the story to a first-time viewer.  I don't klike to know what's going to happen.  For example, when I first saw GBU in '68, I hadn't seen the trailer (no TV advertisements for it) which showed a three-way gunfight, etc.  And I wouldn't have wanted to see young Harmonica holding up his brother, or Frank being shot by Harmonica either before seeing "West" in 1969..

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:33:28 PM by Cusser » Logged
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:47 PM »

Yeah , the lobbys can spoil......but they're damn cool though  Evil

Damn , helluva collection.....all the posters  Afro

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 04:34:56 AM »

Congrats, I never saw all five Italian character posters at once. I have three but never saw the CHEYENNE style before...

I managed to get so far the 2-foglio first release and the pop art RR 2-foglio from 1972.
Also I have 7 LC's so far (photobusta), 5 regular size ones and two big ones (soggettos). I'd love
to know how many the complete set includes. At least 5 big ones and 8-12 'small' ones. Only the golden
ones are first release, the RR set of 6 or 8 from the 70's includes the same images but reprinted 'yellow'
instead and 'gold'.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 05:03:55 PM »

A set of 5 italian posters (140x200 cm / 2-sheet)

These are easily the best OUATITW posters, beautiful. I need to buy the Cardinale and Robards versions at least.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 08:01:04 AM »

Here's more to look at:
From Germany the first release 1-sh (many re-issues around, you can only judge them when you see them in front of you),
rare complete set of 18 LC's (only 12 were reprinted / used in the 70's early 80's) and one scarce
jumbo LC.

East German poster & two LC'S:

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »

The US 1-sheet, the  eight 11x14 lobby cards and the British set of 8.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »

fantastic to see all of these together - thanks very much Mike!

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 12:44:54 AM »

'glad you like it.
Well here is more:

French poster & 15 LC's (one CC card is missing). Re-issue 1970's material has 'SONIS' mentioned on it, 1969 LC's and posters are without that.

Spanish rr 1970's poster & LC's (two missing):

Mexican set (Paramount = 1969; CIC = 1970's)

CSSR set 1970:

Poster Belgium 1970's:

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 06:43:32 AM »

What amazes me about the whole business is that "someone" decides that certain photos/drawings for posters and cards, or film titles should be "different" for different countries.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »

Actually as a collector that's exactly what most of us love and appreciate: until the one-artwork-for-the-whole-world attitude started
in the late 70's, the guys in charge for promo in their country had to know their audience well (and that includes the mentality of the people).
For ex. the Japanese started with photographic artwork very very early, they never cared for painted artwork. In Germany and Italy emotions were the thing to transport with a poster. After the war people wanted big feelings, love & exotic action. Therefore a lot of these paintings from those golden poster years are beautifully done. The German tradition of having huge LC-sets came from the 1920's and 1930's. They used 'real' photos handtinted and glossy until the late 60's. With up the 60 cards for one film! The realism of the late 60's and 70's changed that. Also it became to expensive.
Also the lobbies are very different in each country. Over here we had big walls and huge showcases - a lot of room the create a nice decoration.
In the US and the UK they very often had these fixed 'boxes' to insert and display single LC's. The decoration always looked the same - just the images changed.

I don't know anout the financial situation in France in those years, but I think there wasn't too much money around. Very often they printed b/w LC's for color films even in mid-60's (FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE for instance). A few sets were printed in color - but only for Paris I understand.
In Italy emotions are BIG. Therefore the posters and LC's are the biggest in the world! My theory Smiley.

In the US... well I don't know. Sometimes very good stuff, sometimes really awful. Like a lot of the Italian Western releases. They distributed without care and love for the job. B/w LC's, and strange cheap-looking posters. No wonder lots of these films were considered too be C-grade trash or whatever.
And by now this all is a thing of the past - promo is a thing for the net, TV and what have you. Showcases are boring by now. One design must do the job. Okay, the japanese still deliver some 'extra' design. (Great stuff)

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »

I finally got the Italian OUATITW first release poster !

(Condition yesterday and today, after four hours of restoration)

To make my week complete, I got my last missing photobusta. At least I think,
sets of 12 were common in Italy, I have 7 small ones and 5 big ones. Anybody
ever has some information regarding more Italian lobby cards, please let me know..

So here's the complete first release set Smiley

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:09:46 AM by mike siegel » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM