Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 02:14:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A ravin' review!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A ravin' review!  (Read 4701 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2005, 04:13:10 PM »

"This film exemplifies American film-making at its best..."

(I picked it up here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001GF2DS/qid=1114985361/sr=5-1/ref=cm_lm_asin/102-7116944-4096109?v=glance)

Mr.Cho-Cho
Chicken Thief

Something to do with death

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 05:49:01 AM »

but it's european? Grin

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
johnkinman
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:57:31 AM »

but it's european? Grin
Exactly...its got style !

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 12:26:39 PM »

This is the full review for those who can't be bothered to find it:

This film exemplifies American film-making at its best. In flawless and fast-paced action, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly provides limited dialogue amongst its characters, as the acting is simply fantastic not only for its time but in the history of film. Eastwood is at his best.................the film encompasses and intriguing plot with suspense, action, revenge, and courage...not to mention the ending is fantastic...see it for yourself

Looks like Jarvis Marley of Brooklyn NY is in for a shock when he finds out what country GBU is really from...

It's class.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:13:19 PM »

the world divides in two categories: those who at least once  ate spaghetti and those who didn't. Jarvis didn't.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:30:53 PM by titoli » Logged

Unkernown
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 02:23:10 PM »

Unless by "American" he means on the subject of America?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 03:04:28 PM »

He doesn't mean anything. Actually I think (and hope) this "Jarvis" doesn't exist at all. If you take a look at his other "reviews" you'll notice that he gives 5 stars to everything: one can't be such a dummy. Probably he\she's somebody paid to insert positive (though quite vague) reviews. Or who does it for kicks. Anyway I don't think he\she ever saw the movie.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 03:09:38 PM by titoli » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 04:02:30 PM »

Love this one, just goes on and on about the plot and doesn't mention ONCE why they disliked it...

0 of 6 people found the following review helpful:

The Sick, the Sicker, and the Dead, September 14, 2006
Reviewer: Acute Observer (Jersey Shore) - See all my reviews

The film opens with three men arriving at a house. They draw their pistols and rush in. Shots are fired, and Tuco escapes. Then a bounty hunter visits an isolated house, searching for "Jackson". He learns the new name of "Bill Carson" (they were part of a gang of robbers). There is an exchange of opinions, shots are fired. The bounty hunter leaves to report to his boss, and perform another job. Next we see a wanted man captured by three men. Another man shows up to eliminate the competition, like a lion driving away hyenas. The wanted man is turned in for the reward. But his hanging is prevented, and he rides away to be recycled. [Can you believe this?]

Tuco catches up to his former partner and captures him, the tables are turned. [This is like a cartoon.] Just like it looks like it is over for "Blondie" a runaway wagon appears to begin a new story! A dying man tells of a buried treasure of stolen payroll. Now Tuco must care for "Blondie" because he knows the name on the grave that contains the treasure. As they ride away, they see a gray troop of cavalry coming for them. The gray turns out to be dust on their blue uniforms. [Another joke.] Now they are prisoners and sent to a camp. [Was there really combat in the southwest?] This film is like a succession of short stories linked through the same characters.

Tuco manages to escape from the train. Later "Blondie" escapes and they meet again. There is more gunplay in eliminating the competition for their business deal. They arrive at a huge cemetery, much too large for the small town shown in this film. [Obviously staged.] And so there is a showdown between the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Scratch one rival. The film ends with a sick joke about hanging. I wonder why some people rate this film highly?

The vocalized song means there is no problem in translation to another language. [Isn't it funny?] The most interesting part is how a 1950s style Western was created by Europeans after they became obsolete in Hollywood. Not that they can't do better

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 11:21:19 AM »

I should stop reading this site, I burnt the toasts again! Grin

That's silly, those reviews. I'm glad I saw GBU before I ever started caring about them!

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 06:09:20 PM »

Yo, Czecholita, "toast" is a non-count noun.

Sorry, I don't mean to keep coming down on you for your English, it's actually really good (in fact, amazingly good). I just spent too many years as an English teacher, I guess. Sad

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 07:19:44 PM »

English is my second best subject in school. I have great vocabulary.

Of course, my best subject is History. Especially US history.  Wink

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 11:27:27 PM »

Yo, Czecholita, "toast" is a non-count noun.

Eh... Thanks for correcting, I don't mind, it's helpful.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Dude With No Name
Road Apple

You see...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 01:10:40 PM »

Anybody scroll to the bottom and read the review, "The Sick, The Sicker, and The Dead".  Shocked

Some people don't know what great films are.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 02:30:13 PM »

Anybody scroll to the bottom and read the review, "The Sick, The Sicker, and The Dead".  Shocked

Some people don't know what great films are.

One of my posts on this very thread already concerns that review.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Dude With No Name
Road Apple

You see...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 04:24:35 PM »

One of my posts on this very thread already concerns that review.

Woops, dunno why I didn't see that.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM