Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 03:49:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hate Thy Neighbour
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hate Thy Neighbour  (Read 9378 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2005, 04:03:50 PM »

Well got my DVD player working again, so back to writing reviews for my web site!  Here is my effort for the Baldi film "Hate Thy Neighbour" :

"Hate Thy Neighbour" combines the classic Spaghetti revenge scenario, with the regular Spaghetti "map" tale. The story centres around Ken Dakota's search for the murderer of his brother, who was killed by bandit Gary Stevens, at the behest of Mexican land owner Chris Malone, for a goldmine map. Stevens tears the map in two, and gives Malone half, spiralling into a running feud of double crosses between the two, whilst Dakota attempts to bring the men responsible for his brothers death to justice.

This is a really enjoyable Spaghetti Western, albeit with the odd moment of corny dialogue. It includes some really exciting moments, such as peasants and bandits duelling with metal claws for Malone's pleasure, torture by hanging over a pit of snakes, and some very talented bandito musicianship! My experiences to date have highlighted that Director Baldi can come up with some great movies (Blindman, Viva Django) and some absolute turkeys (Get Mean and, so I've heard, Rita of the West). Hate Thy Neighbour doesn't hit the highs of Blindman by any means, but is certainly an enjoyable view, with George Eastman (as Stevens) and Horst Frank (Malone) putting in good roles, and the plot having some quality twists and turns.

Not the easiest of movies to get your hands on, but certainly worth the effort if you are a fan of the Spaghetti genre.

p.s. Feel free to send me any Spaghetti Western reviews to post on my site.  It is slowly but surely expanding!  The link should hopefully be below!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:14:08 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189844/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/vari-west29.htm

I caught this on a local station by chance, missed the beginning, and first thought was that the movie had a good rhythm, though I didn't know that the director was the same as Django Kills, another movie based on narrative rhythm. There's a plot twist every 5 minutes, usually without any logical foundation, but who cares? Also, there's a high degree of violence, sadism, some good looking woman (anybody cares that Nicoletta Machiavelli can't play? I'd rather see her on a screen than Bette Davis), some original, though essentially demential, inventions like the "hook" gladatorial fights. Main problem is the hero: Focas just ain't up to  Frank (perfect as usual in his classic role of villain) and Eastman (who can't play for life but has a decent screen presence) and in the end he comes up like a third, unnecesary element in the basic fight of Eastman against Frank. Score merely functional. 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 01:18:12 AM »

Been dying to see this one. I'll watch it tomorrow and let you know what I thought.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 01:44:11 AM »

You said the same about a Fidani. And I'm still waiting.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 01:51:37 AM »

You said the same about a Fidani. And I'm still waiting.

work work work.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 03:55:46 AM »

then, don't make promises but to yourself. (this would make a great title for a Fidani).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »

Been dying to see this one. I'll watch it tomorrow and let you know what I thought.
I'm gonna do the same.Thanks Titoli for bringing this up.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:15:40 AM »

Yes it was watchably above average.Frank as always is brilliant as the main bad guy and i enjoyed the gladiator/russian roulette game of death but  why couldn't Ferdinando Baldi(btw Questi directed Django Kill ) have brought in Franco Nero or Terence Hill in as the hero was mediocre?I also thought the ending was an anti-climax due mainly to a lack of a proper face to face gun duel.The (only OK)music by Anton Abril is very similar to what he did for Baldi's Texas Adios.
I give it 7 out of 10 Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 04:08:59 AM »

Of course he wouldn't have no Hill or Nero because of money or because they were busy.

I meant Viva Django, not Django Kills, sorry. I concur on 7/10.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:36 AM »

Its been a while since I watched this, but I know I enjoyed it at the time.  I always have alot of time for George Eastman and Horst Frank.  Particular highlight was the dual with metal claws, and the torture over the pit of snakes.  I gave it a 3/4 rating which is a "recommended" by my reckoning!   Afro

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 05:43:53 AM »

Yes it was watchably above average.Frank as always is brilliant as the main bad guy and i enjoyed the gladiator/russian roulette game of death but  why couldn't Ferdinando Baldi(btw Questi directed Django Kill ) have brought in Franco Nero or Terence Hill in as the hero was mediocre?I also thought the ending was an anti-climax due mainly to a lack of a proper face to face gun duel.The (only OK)music by Anton Abril is very similar to what he did for Baldi's Texas Adios.
I give it 7 out of 10 Afro

I enjoyed this muchly.

good use of editing during fist and gunfights.

Like Banjo I thought the end was an anti-climax as well. Horst should have been killed in the pit of snakes or something.
The gladitor arena is what was needed in the odd-ball western "Death Walks in Laredo" to go with the villains fetish for Julius Cesar.
The score is crap. Abril did a better job with "Texas Adios".

The hero is virtually non-existant in this. Much rather would have seen more Eastman.

80%

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 07:58:28 AM »

I always have alot of time for George Eastman
I'd say he's nothing special,and i had to look him up in Weissers book to remind me what else i've seen him in.I suppose he was ok in Ben and Charlie if they couldn't have found someone else as a foil for Guiliana Gemma.
   I'm really becoming a huge fan of Horst Frank who never disappoints as a bad guy(can't imagine him as the hero) so i must make a point of watching Winnetou The Warrior which i've been putting off.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 12:55:19 PM »

so i must make a point of watching Winnetou The Warrior which i've been putting off.

Those Winnetou films don't really look all that appealing.

I think "Hate Thy Neighbor" just might be Baldi's best. I find it much more re-wacthable than "Texas adios" or that snoozefest "The Forgotten pistolero" (Have to give this a proper 2nd viewing). And I think the plot holds up better (and the action is much more consistant)than "Blindman" or "Get Mean".

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:59:15 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »

Anton Garcia Abril is probably most famous in the US for his supremely creepy and scary soundtrack for LA NOCHE DEL TERROR CIEGO aka TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD and its three sequels. That is one score that cries out for a CD release.

George Eastman aka Luigi Montefiore is remembered more for being a screen presence. He really defines menace in ANTHROPOPHAGUS (1980) and also stands out in Martino's 2019: AFTER THE FALL OF NEW YORK (1983) playing Big Ape and in Castellari's 1990: THE BRONX WARRIORS as Golem (I think). He also contributes to the writing of nearly every movie he appears in.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »

Anton Garcia Abril is probably most famous in the US for his supremely creepy and scary soundtrack for LA NOCHE DEL TERROR CIEGO aka TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD and its three sequels.

They have those on sale at wal mart! It comes in a nice coffin set. Is it worth 70 dollars though?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM