Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 08:20:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  200,000 dollars
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 200,000 dollars  (Read 7621 times)
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2005, 05:48:57 PM »

How many coins were in each of the bags of gold ? Its always intrigued me Huh Huh Huh Huh

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 07:38:49 AM »

Good question.  And how much would that amount in gold have weighed?  Gold the size of those sacks would be very heavy (gold is 19.3 times as dense as water). One thing I always like since I first saw it in 1968 was that the sacks were really filled with something heavy (such as rocks) so it looked realistic when Blondie hoisted them onto the horse (can see that the horse definitely notices the weight).  One can often tell by the actors' motions that they're not exerting themselves or struggling to lift things in film and TV.  Too many directors use lightweight stuff as props (fake boulders, newspapers stuffed in bags), and it can look quite hokey.  So chalk up another reality bit for Sergio.  And didn't I see a photo where Alberto Grimaldi had the "gold coins" made into a fountain or something?

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 03:55:37 PM »

what kind of coins would they have been. gold dollars would have been worth more than a dollar and you surely couldn't spend them, so what is the point of them ...why not just have gold bars. There obviously weren't 20000 or so coins in each bag Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Ice

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 08:23:02 PM »

I thought it was 100,000?

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that also the budget of FOD?

Hmm, what a prequel! Blondie and the gang after the money so that they could make the "sequel" Grin

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »

Don't know the number of coins, but since there were 8 bags, you have to have $25,000 per bag.  I'm glad that the weight was noticiable.  In Kelly's Heroes, the boxes of gold bars appear to be has heavy as an empty wooden box. 

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 05:23:57 AM »

Pretty sure that both the amount in the cash box and the Fo$ budget are 200,000.

As far as I can remember the only line that specifically refers to the amount is Bill Carson's: "200,000 in gold... it's yours, just get me some water!"

It's class.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 09:04:35 AM »

I think we can assume that it was really $200K, I can't imagine an upstanding citizen like Carson/Jackson telling a fib.  Assuming that the coins were U.S. (not Confederate), common denomination would've been $20 double-eagle from the size of the coins, I believe they were too large to be $10 eagles.  Obviously coins would've been easier to split up than gold bars.  Now,if the coins were Confederate coins, I don't know if their denominations would've been the same (remember, they were americans, too, wouldn't have wanted total disruption of their economy.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 02:38:54 PM »

If we can estimate how many coins in each sack we can work out what the coins were worth. If they were $20 dollar double eagles then there would have been 1250 coins in each bag. There doesn't look that many. And that is assuming the coin was worth $20 in gold. If gold prices go up does the coins value go up?HuhHuhHuh
very confusing..

Ice

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 05:21:16 PM »

In 186whatever, a 20 dollar gold coin was worth 20 dollars. The fluctuating in price of precious metals is a modern phenom.

An earlier thread talked about the coins. The most likely scenario concerned the Louisiana Mint:

"The New Orleans Mint began the year 1861 by producing 330,000 halves as a branch mint of the United States. On January 26th, 1861, the State of Louisiana seceded from the Union and the Mint, along with nearly $5,000,000.00 in silver and gold, was seized by Lousiana militia on Jan. 31, 1861. The Mint personnel were forced to strike silver half dollars and $20 gold coins using the existing U.S. coinage dies that were on hand. "

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Hanley
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:48:03 AM »

I agree, they would have been gold Liberty Head/Double Eagle $20 coins. Don't forget that the CSA did not form until 1861, just before the outbreak of the Civil War (correct?). In the GBU, the Union allegedly stole the coins from the Confederates ("Yankee Ambush") but as we know . . . Thus, just before the war, both the North and the South would have been using the same gold coins. During the war, the South planned but never produced gold coins.

Mr.Cho-Cho
Chicken Thief

Something to do with death

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 05:53:17 PM »

According to Once Upon a Time in the West Commentary the budget for Fistful of Dollars was $250,000. As for the money bags I would assumer each bag contained $25,000.

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 03:13:44 PM »

OK Guys..so what would the equivalent bags of gold be worth in todays money taking inflation into account Huh Huh Huh

Ice

ray_gillespie
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 03:29:20 PM »

Good question.  And how much would that amount in gold have weighed?  Gold the size of those sacks would be very heavy (gold is 19.3 times as dense as water). One thing I always like since I first saw it in 1968 was that the sacks were really filled with something heavy (such as rocks) so it looked realistic when Blondie hoisted them onto the horse (can see that the horse definitely notices the weight).  One can often tell by the actors' motions that they're not exerting themselves or struggling to lift things in film and TV.  Too many directors use lightweight stuff as props (fake boulders, newspapers stuffed in bags), and it can look quite hokey.  So chalk up another reality bit for Sergio.  And didn't I see a photo where Alberto Grimaldi had the "gold coins" made into a fountain or something?

Have you ever seen the scene in The Great Silence where I think the Sheriff is drinking a cup of something, but it's so blantantly empty that's it's almost funny. I know it was a very small budget but surely water isn't that expensive!

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 03:07:00 AM »

In 186whatever, a 20 dollar gold coin was worth 20 dollars. The fluctuating in price of precious metals is a modern phenom.

An earlier thread talked about the coins. The most likely scenario concerned the Louisiana Mint:

"The New Orleans Mint began the year 1861 by producing 330,000 halves as a branch mint of the United States. On January 26th, 1861, the State of Louisiana seceded from the Union and the Mint, along with nearly $5,000,000.00 in silver and gold, was seized by Lousiana militia on Jan. 31, 1861. The Mint personnel were forced to strike silver half dollars and $20 gold coins using the existing U.S. coinage dies that were on hand. "

Does that mean the size of the coin was determined by how much gold was worth at the time, or the size of the dies??

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 04:52:51 AM »

I always thought the gold was stolen by Carson during the confusion of a Yankee ambush (I think Carson was a Confederate) Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM