Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:30:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Red One (1980) - The Reconstruction
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Red One (1980) - The Reconstruction  (Read 7505 times)
jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2005, 02:20:04 PM »

Has anybody scoped out the new cut of The Big Red One? I think it's awesome. They did a really good job of putting it back together.

Unlike, say... the Apocalypse Now Redux. What a bunch of crap! I prefer the original cut. All of those restored sequences are a drag. Wait a minute, I'm supposed to be talking about The Big Red One. Alright, I'm done.

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 05:21:28 PM »

I enjoyed TBRO:TR; I think it plays better with the extra footage.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 01:19:29 AM »

I agree, I thought it was much better and stands up as a really solid war movie. It's well worth hunting down on dvd.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 01:40:39 PM »

Wow, no takers? I was sure somebody would dispute my assertion that the Apocalypse Now Redux is a bunch of crap.

I haven't seen every Lee Marvin movie, but I think his role in The Big Red One is one of his best. If it isn't, I'd be glad to find his better performances.

I really dig Hell In The Pacific too. Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune stranded on a desert island. How could it miss? The only way it could be better is if they had Bronson play a Russian who crash lands on the same island. Well, alright, it probably wouldn't be better. But it would definitely increase the tough guy quotient. Not that they needed it, but hey. I think I've managed to talk about every film but the Big Red One now.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 05:03:31 PM »

I haven't seen every Lee Marvin movie, but I think his role in The Big Red One is one of his best. If it isn't, I'd be glad to find his better performances.

He's awfully good in The Killers. I'm very much looking forward to the DVD release of Point Blank next month; I've never seen the film, but my suspicion is that Marvin's best performance lies there.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:40:27 AM »

He's awfully good in The Killers. I'm very much looking forward to the DVD release of Point Blank next month; I've never seen the film, but my suspicion is that Marvin's best performance lies there.

I'm totally with you on that. Haven't seen Point Blank but I'm looking forward to it. Lee Marvin in a John Boorman film. How could it go wrong?

Is the Killers any good? I've heard it's super low budget, that it was originally going to be a made for tv movie. Criterion put that out, so I'm sure it's a good package, but... Is it worth it? I like Don Siegel. It can't be bad.

Christopher
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 04:14:31 PM »

Point Blank and The Killers are both very good movies. Point Blank is one of my favorites that Lee Marvin did.

As is The Big Red One, though I haven't seen the reconstructed film yet. Honestly, I didn't even know the movie had been cut so badly back on its original release until recently. I remember thinking it strange that someone who had been in World War II would make a PG rated movie about it.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 10:05:37 AM »

Point Blank and The Killers are both very good movies. Point Blank is one of my favorites that Lee Marvin did.

As is The Big Red One, though I haven't seen the reconstructed film yet. Honestly, I didn't even know the movie had been cut so badly back on its original release until recently. I remember thinking it strange that someone who had been in World War II would make a PG rated movie about it.

The new cut of The Big Red One is rated R. I'd say that's appropriate. If you liked the original and you like Lee Marvin, I'd highly recommend it. It's tied for first among my favorite war films:

Cross Of Iron
Apocalypse Now
The Big Red One

Anybody ever see Cross Of Iron? It's Peckinpah's WWII film, starring James Coburn. It's one of his most overlooked films, and probably the last really good film he made. I do like the films he did after, but he was shaky after Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia. Although you could make a case for him being somewhat inconsistent throughout his entire career. Personally, I love most of his films despite this.

Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 01:40:12 AM »

I've got Cross of Iron on dvd and it's certainly worth checking out. Its main interest for me is that it deals with the Russian front, a combat arena not often seen in war movies.

On the subject of war movies, has anyone seen Downfall? Bruno Ganz doesn't just play Hitler, its almost like he became Hitler. It's an incredible performance, which the rest of the film more than lives up to.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 05:41:41 AM »

2 really good WWI type scenarios.
Kurbrick's 'Paths of Glory' starring Kurt Douglas. Proberly the most un-jingoistic conflict move ive ever watched. 'La Grande Illusion' is another good one.

As is The Big Red One, I remember thinking it strange that someone who had been in World War II would make a PG rated movie about it.

Thats '80s Hollywood values' in film presentation for ya. Get the censorship rating down to a widest audience. And keep the movie close to 2 hours. Every movie must be a Star Wars or a Jaws.
Alot of of Directors from Fuller's generation must of thought they were on a different planet, moviemaking in the 80s.  Roll Eyes
Watched a John Boorman TV interview recently another man quite open about the sudden turn Hollywood took in the late 70s. 

Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 11:52:36 AM »

I Loved The Big Red One! If Warner Bros. had shown Fuller's preferred cut, Mark Hamill would have been knowned for this film and not just The Original Star Wars Trilogy. The Big Red One Is one of my most favorite films ever. It's a Damn Good Film.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 03:51:22 PM »

The Big Red One - an okay but nothing really special kinda war movie IMO - though the ending was really brilliant. - 7/10

Tomorrow I get to go see "Ocean's Thirteen" with two girls a year older than me. Heh heh. . . it's not really a date, but I can pretend.  Azn

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 06:15:25 PM »

The Big Red One - an okay but nothing really special kinda war movie IMO - though the ending was really brilliant. - 7/10
But which version did you see? The Restoration is much superior to the original theatrical release.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »

Classic film. One of my favorite Lee Marvin pictures.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »

Anybody ever see Cross Of Iron?

Yeah, I thought it was pretty mediocre. Didn't like Apocalypse Now at all. Nor did I like the theatrical cut of TBRO, although I'm willing to concede the director's cut might be better.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM