Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 09:18:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  some questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: some questions  (Read 3096 times)
5rings
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:48:56 PM »

new fan here and just watched OUTIA and have some questions

1) at the end, noodles does not recognize max because of his eyesight.......disbelief he is dead.......or playing along slyly?

2) joe pesci is in the hospital, right before they take off to miami beach, but nothing comes of it.....significance?

3) after the rape of deborah (the coffee scene)...do the others know about it?  particularly fat mo?

4) are we to assume that fat mo knows the max secret...since his sister lived with him for 30 years?

thanks for the assistence

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:25:05 AM »

Welcome 5rings;

As you can see from other posts in this section, OATIA is open to many different interpretations.  But, here's my take on the Q's you posed:

1)  I always asssumed he was just acting dumb
2)  That means Jimmy CleanHands has cast his lot with the mob.
3)  I think Max, Cockeye and Patsy know.  Fat Mo doesn't.
4)  Fat Mo seems pretty clueless about everything.  His ignorance is the only thing that's kept him alive.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
HEX
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:29:06 PM »

i will answer youre first question...

NOODLES INTENTIONALLY PLAYS DUMB BECAUSE INSIDE WANTS TO STILL BELIEVE MAX IS DEAD.

IT IS THE ONLY WAY HE CAN COPE WITH IT.

mikimouse
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »

1) at the end, noodles does not recognize max because of his eyesight.......disbelief he is dead.......or playing along slyly?
2) joe pesci is in the hospital, right before they take off to miami beach, but nothing comes of it.....significance?
3) after the rape of deborah (the coffee scene)...do the others know about it?  particularly fat mo?
4) are we to assume that fat mo knows the max secret...since his sister lived with him for 30 years?
RESPONSES:
1) David's wily suspicions are confirmed, and the mock surpise evolved into David playing along.
2)I think it's because the hit on the 'clean hands' was set up in order to get him onto the syndicate's side.
3)I don't think this is relevant to the show in any way. They knew? Ok. They didn't know? Fine.
4)She was off on her own all successful, and since her and her brother Moe weren't close at all, it would have been easy for her to live in both worlds.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 05:31:48 PM »

NOODLES INTENTIONALLY PLAYS DUMB BECAUSE INSIDE WANTS TO STILL BELIEVE MAX IS DEAD.

IT IS THE ONLY WAY HE CAN COPE WITH IT.
This is it, essentially. By way of embellishment: Noodles has his story and he's sticking to it. It is the foundational myth that allows him to make sense of his life. Without it, he would have to face the fact that he's been duped for the last 35 years, and that his memories are unreliable. Given that alternative, he opts for something less than the truth.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 02:41:41 PM »

1. Noodles despised max by pretending not recognising him: despising, ignoring somebody is always stronger than reacting. that means you deny somebody's existence.

2. Joe Pesci dressed in black is announcing the tragic end of the gang.

3. They know Deborah left Noodles which is enough terrible for Noodles.

4. nothing seems to tell that Fat knows or moes!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 11:54:37 AM by roberti » Logged

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM