Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:15:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Town Called Hell (1971)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Town Called Hell (1971)  (Read 8933 times)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2005, 02:17:50 PM »

Heads up UK TV amigos.. BBC1 22nd Sun 12:30am.

Town Called Hell AKA Town Called Bast&*d (1971) Directed by Robert Parrish

Starring Robert Shaw, Stella Stevens, Telly Salavlas, Fernando Rey, Dudley Sutton & Martin Landau

One of very few British Euro Westerns.
The film opens with a deaf mute (Sutton) on a coffin wagon carring a seemingly desiest Stella Stevens. Gives it a supernatural Hammer Horror edge with the inclusion of what can only be a Pagan Witch in a female charactor. Shaw stars as a unforgetable rabid drunk priest riddled with bullet scars. Film mainly revolves around the hangmans platform center street. Very silly and could almost give Django Kill! in the inventivness stakes. But some great performances from its collectic unpredictable cast. Also better than most of the TV movie rubbish that normally dwels in the BBC1 saturday midnight  slot.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:06:12 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »

Doh, I paid money for that the other day, and could have videod it for free!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 02:50:02 PM »

Which copy/version did you fork out for Marco?

Didn't get to watch. But being on a night out my VCR did the business. Not bad quality picture* widescreen 16:9. Better than the last time shown.

*Well in comparison to the last Spag BBC1 showed: natty print of Ace High shown last Autumn, terrible audio..

« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 02:52:08 PM by The Smoker » Logged

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »

The version I have is the 93 mins version  on the Stonevision Entertainment label.  I'm not too sure on any other details at this stage.

I don't know too much about the film either, only that reviews are somewhat mixed!  I've got a bit of a backlog of movies to work through, but think I should get around to watching this sometime about ummm the middle of July!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 02:49:03 PM »

any good? i meant to watch it but pro evo has pride of place in my house!!

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 06:22:40 PM »

The movie, I saw on it's first release. Pretty poor. BUT, just bought the original poster under it's real name A TOWN CALLED B******D, on ebay for 1.00! Crap movie.....great poster!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 04:58:42 PM »

I noticed a reference to the cave scene in Giu La Testa early on, so I started watching and it's one of the worst films I've ever seen half of

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 04:27:10 AM »

Here are my thoughts on this British/Spanish co-production  Grin

"This film starts in spectacular fashion as a gang of rebels gun down the entire congregation of a church, young and old, including the priest. The barbaric nature of this opening continues throughout "A Town Called Hell".

The majority of the movie is set in the Mexican town of Bastardo, which is under the leadership of Don Carlos (Telly Savalas). A hearse arrives at the gates, with an empty coffin and two passengers - Alvira (Stella Stevens), a blonde widower clothed in black, and her mysterious unnamed companion (Dudley Sutton). She is searching for the man that killed her husband, and offers Carlos gold if he will hand over the guilty man - who she believes to be named Aguila.

The town priest (Robert Shaw), who we immediately recognise as one of the leaders of the rebels that carried out the massacre in the first scene, appears to have a knowledge of Aguila's identity. When the town is overrun by the army, also looking for Aguila, the Colonel (Martin Landau - the other rebel leader from the prologue) threatens to execute all the town unless the identity is revealed. The Colonel advises the Priest that he swapped sides, as the army provided better rewards than the rebels could ever offer.

Much of the film centres on the strained relationship between Shaw and Landau's characters. Shaw's whiskey guzzling priest is particularly well played and likable, with a guarded past that is revealed throughout the film. Albeit a fairly short lived role (facing execution by one of his own men about half way through the film), Savalas' character is very enjoyable to watch, both calm but merciless. There are also small parts for Spaghetti regulars Fernando Rey and Aldo Sambrell.

Whilst the film is pretty barbaric throughout, with the town's inhabitants showing little honour or mercy for their own kind (just ask Don Carlos!), it also has a dark and mysterious feel - particularly well portrayed by the widow and her mute protector.

It is fair to say that I am often sceptical of a film's worth when I find a copy in a bargain bin or for 0.01 on ebay. I purchased "A Town Called Hell" for a single penny on ebay, and therefore thought it was likely to be a lesser western, and became even more sceptical when I discovered its British involvement (oh me of little faith, but I couldn't picture my homeland creating a western successfully). I was pleasantly surprised to find a well thought-out movie, with a well developed (if sometimes confusing) plot, and some great character acting. Well worth a view".

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 06:29:45 AM »

Marco, you must have got a much better print than I did on a Brentwood budget collection. The version I watched was so chopped up it rendered it useless. What I did see was as you said "barbaric" I'll withhold judgement till I see a better print.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 09:32:13 AM »

The version I saw was 93 mins, widescreen on the Stonevision Entertainment label.  I'm not sure to what extent it is butched, but presumably it is an edited version of A Town Called Bastard.

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 11:50:16 AM »

Mine's fullscreen P&S, so no doubt your version's better. I had high hopes with the all-star cast, but it's butchered sooooo badly. Sad

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 01:23:05 PM »

I posted my review on the SWWB, and one of the guys pointed out that opinion is pretty divided on this one.  But I enjoyed it at least  Grin

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 04:19:23 AM »

I taped Town Called Hell off BBC1 recently and i felt after an excellent start the rest of the film was a huge let down.I just found that the film was used as a vehicle to show as much gratuitous hangings,throat slittings,mowing down of peons etc. as could be fitted in.Telly Savales was killed of much too early in the film and the usually excellent Robert Shaw was very disappointing.What kept me watching this was how ludicrous a movie this is.I like violent films if imaginatively done and unlike the Italian westerns this film has no real depth and style to it and is a very poor spaghetti imitation.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 08:32:22 AM »

Telly Savales was killed of much too early in the film and the usually excellent Robert Shaw was very disappointing.

Mr Salvalas was proberbly on a nice week holiday in Granada and was hood-winked into 2 days tax free work. Wink
Alot of that went on with spaghetti westerns producers. Hence Kinski's small part in the rather crappy Western Story..

« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 07:43:18 AM by The Smoker » Logged

HEX
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 09:54:38 AM »

is this film the one where LEONE is rumored to have a cameo as the BARTENDER?

or is that CEMENTARY WITHOUT CROSSES?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM