Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 03:28:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The suitcase and the death of Bugsy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The suitcase and the death of Bugsy  (Read 2581 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:03:44 PM »

Last night while watching OUATIA some things made me curious.

Did they save up the earnings in the suitcase to be used when they went into business during Prohibition? When Noodles went to the suitcase on the beginnnig he obviously expected money to be in it, but is it the same money they put in there as kids or do you think they kept up the tradition of putting in 50%? I'd think that adult millionares would find a more sophisticated way to put their earnings together, especially at the rate they get it I doubt a suitcase would be able to hold up. The only explanation I could think of is this - They put 50% in until it was filled to capacity and then left it for emergency money, which was what Max was talking about on the beach when he saved up a million-something(I forget. Ten million?) dollars? But still, how it was used in the time between Noodles' last childhood scene and Max picking him up kind of confuses me as to its use Sad

Another thing I am wondering - With the death of Bugsy did the gang take over the territory, hence their popularity at the club? If that's the case then that's the third time that De Niro's character killed other mafiosa men to rise on top of what they left behind Tongue GF II and Goodfellas being the other two. That seems to be a running trend in gangster movies, same thing on Scarface.

What I like about those two parts of the film is how they are in perfect harmony with eachother and the rest of the scenes that follow. They seem like things very probable and not forced onto the audience, and they work together so well Cool

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 08:07:36 PM by Poggle » Logged
DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 12:52:12 PM »

If you look carefully at the scene where the gang agree to keep the loot in the suitcase and share it equally...there is one member of the gang who doesn't join hands with the rest to honour the agreement.......Max.

guy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 08:55:42 PM »

i believe max does. from memory: he places his hand on top of the other lads' pile of hands then gives a smile in noodles direction, and says "agreed", or something along those lines......

"i like the stink of the streets, it makes me feel good. i like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs - and it gives me a hard on!"
guy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 09:02:18 PM »

i believe that is waht is supposed to be th esituation regarding the boys taking over bugsys territory. One of the deleted scenes - * A brief scene in the 1922 sequences, showing local ganglord Bugsy (James Russo) and his gang getting arrested by the police for bootlegging while Noodles and his gang looked on was filmed but cut. This would occur right before the gang's meeting with the Capuano Brothers at the harbor.

The main importance of this scene would be to establish why the gang is working with the Capuanos. Dialogue from that scene indicates that Bugsy had been working with them, but since he and his thugs have now been jailed, Noodles and Co. have taken over his old job.

So they must have altered the storyline to allow for noodles inprisonment. in the book he is only away for a year or so at a young offenders institute as he did not murder bugsy.

"i like the stink of the streets, it makes me feel good. i like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs - and it gives me a hard on!"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »

I remember at one point in the Capuano scene, Max says to the Capuanos that the gang wanted to work for them, "doing what Bugsy did".  If you read Frayling's description of the treatment, that's in there.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM