Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 06:23:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bandidos aka Crepa tu... che vivo io (1967)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bandidos aka Crepa tu... che vivo io (1967)  (Read 8711 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2005, 02:25:54 PM »

Another Marco Leone review!  This week, I have been watching Bandidos :

"This film starts with a classic sequence in which a train is held up by Billy Kane (Venantini) and his bandits. All the passengers are brutally massacred because, as Kane rightly states, if you don't want your face on any reward posters, you don't leave any witnesses. There is one survivor however - Richard Martin (Salerno) - a renowned fast gunslinger who attempts to take on the gang singlehandedly. There is previous history between the gunmen, and to remove the threat Kane shoots and cripples both of Martin's hands, ending his gunslinging days for good.

Years pass, and Martin is now travelling from town to town, hosting a gunslinger show. Fate brings him face to face with escaped convict Ricky Shot (Jenkins) who he takes under his wing, passing on his prowess with a gun, with the aim of using the young hotshot to gain his revenge on Kane. As it happens, Ricky Shot has his own motive for facing Kane, as we find out as the story unfolds.

Bandidos is a classic spaghetti western in the revenge sphere. Whilst the cast features none of the usual spaghetti stalwarts that we know and love, it is well casted, particularly Salerno in the part of Martin. It is also superbly directed by Dallamano, a man better known for his thrillers.

The film contains some superbly tense gunfights, matched with a decent soundtrack. The story is at all times riverting, making Bandidos a highly recommended film for all lovers of Italian westerns, and maybe a few more besides".

Marco Leone Rating 3/4 (recommended).

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 08:16:36 PM »

Good movie.....I'm still chewing on it as I've just seen it for the first time....initial impressions--->
Dallamano is very talented as a director..wish he had directed more SW,...good score..restrained & well placed, Ricky's (Terry Jenkins) hat was too small..he looked silly at times, the end shot of Ricky riding out of town does exist..but was cut (why? who knows..), it was really cool to see some actors that we don't see too often..or at all (Salerno, Jenkins, Venantini), and some locations that weren't the same old..same old locations (this was shot at Palencia..Northwest Spain).

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:33:20 PM »

I wish I were able to see as many SWs as everyone else here. I'm still fenced in by the boundries of regional DVDs.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 03:43:55 PM »

Good movie.....I'm still chewing on it as I've just seen it for the first time....initial impressions--->
Dallamano is very talented as a director..wish he had directed more SW,...good score..restrained & well placed, Ricky's (Terry Jenkins) hat was too small..he looked silly at times, the end shot of Ricky riding out of town does exist..but was cut (why? who knows..), it was really cool to see some actors that we don't see too often..or at all (Salerno, Jenkins, Venantini), and some locations that weren't the same old..same old locations (this was shot at Palencia..Northwest Spain).

Glad you liked it Angel.  I agree, however much I like seeing the familiar faces, its nice sometimes to see a few different ones!   Grin

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 03:52:47 PM »

Bandidos was good. but the last gunfight was a bit of a disappointment. The last showdown called for Ricky to face of against Cane in a showdown in the middle of the street. Not for them to duck behind barrels in some warehouse Angry

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 06:36:49 PM »

I didn't mind the way this showdown was drawn out with Ricky Shot showing determination to prove he was every bit as good as Billy Kane.There was good imagination shown here,especially with the chess pieces being shot off the board.
I really enjoy the tension which builds up on this film -mainly around Billy Kane-he does come across as very intimidating-like the scene where you don't see him but instead the coin he tosses to the guitar player to make him play-and you can only tell what Kanes doing by the reaction of his ex-partner who's about to be killed by Kane!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »

especially with the chess pieces being shot off the board.

I hated that. That kind of thing belongs in a Sartana spag(where I would welcome it), not here.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 06:46:35 PM »

What about the suspense created of Kane being out of shot alot which is effective say as Jaws or The Alien being little seen of until the end of those movies?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 12:10:20 AM »

What about the suspense created of Kane being out of shot alot which is effective say as Jaws or The Alien being little seen of until the end of those movies?

never even noticed that effect in the film. I guess it didnt work for me. It should have been a no holds barred shootout OUTSIDE!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:06:41 AM »

OK but i think a brief middle of the street showdown ,for me,would've been an anti-climax.Its a well handled sequence because Billy Kane is so sure of his invinciblity that its† Ricky Shots playful games with Kane that gradually convinces Kane that their shared mentor has made Shot every bit as good as Kane and he has well and truly met his match at long last!! Roll Eyes

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 11:55:30 PM »

Peacemaker, buy yourself a Cyberhome 300 dvd player from Best Buy. They're around $30-35. There's a region free hack you can perform with your remote. Simply open the tray, then close it and wait for it to say 'no disc' then press the menu key then 1 and 9 and a green box will pop up. Change the number to zero and there you go.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:11:29 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

Bandidos

I love this gem of a spaghetti. I am going to be completely honest with all you fine guys and gals, I am completely biased. I thought that this was the best non-Leone spaghetti I have seen in 2006 so far, even beating The Grand Duel. In fact the magic of this film didn't just work on me, people walking into the drawing room began to sit down and watch it with me.
       A famous sharpshooter and showman Richard Martin, Enrico Maria Salerno, is disabled in the hands during a train hold up by ex friend Billy Kane, Venantino Venantini. Finding himself unable to carry out his love of shooting he becomes a manager and comes across Ricky Shot, Terry Jenkins, a man he can groom to be a showman like he was and to become a tool for Kanes destruction but Ricky has a dark past of his own.
       Spaghetti westerns have often explored the theme of teacher and pupil. If it's made a little different each time it can be even more sucesful and this is part where Bandidos excels. Salerno is a likeable man and his degradation from smartly dressed gunman to scruffily dressed showman is believable. The buring rage of ending Kanes life is believable and is also helped by the scary and yet at times oddly likable character that Venantini portrays.
    The shooting of the hands of Richard is quite painful and a little sadistic but launches the audience into the story, we understand that this was actually Kanes most painful punishment robbing Martin of his talent which is his whole reason for being. The idea of the untrustworthy mexican, though seen many times in spaghetti's, played here by Cris Huerta gives off enough comedic relief without being too silly. The character of Ricky Shot who has his own vendetta through out the film is excellent too and though audiences may see his story arc pay off coming its entertaining enough and causes enough dilema to question where his loyalties lie.
   The relationship between Martin and Shot is very similar to that of Van Cleefs and John Phillip Law's in Death Rides A Horse. Their friendly bantering and showing off to each other does have a father and son quality to it.
   All the acting in the film is superb, the protagonists, lead by Terry Jenkins and Enrico Maria Salerno are briliant characters and ranks up with some of the best spaghetti pairings. As already noted, Venantino Venantini's representation of Billy Kane is creepy yet at times scarily likable and comic relief is perfomed aibly by Cris Huerta.
       Direction by Massimo Dallamano is stellar with his use of some very interesting shot composisitions and excellent use of POV. Music by Egisto Macchi is excellent and has stayed with me for a long time after I watched the film.
       Above all I can't recomend this film enough to spaghetti fans who haven't yet experienced this classic.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 04:04:50 PM »

Arizona Colts review:-

BANDIDOS 1968-A gunfighter runs into a former student of his robbing the very train he is traveling on. He spares his cretinous disciple but shoots his hands. Years later the gunman meets up with a convict who was wrongly imprisoned for the train robbery. The gunfighter trains his new student to take out the previous acolyte as he is stirring up trouble again. I donít remember a great deal about this one but I do remember aside from a laughably bad fist fight early on, the movie is quite good.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »

I saw the movie last night and I found it was quite good and entertaining. It reminds me to some extent of "I giorni dell'ira" (Day of Anger), with which I think it has a number of similarities.

7.5 out of 10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 05:06:22 PM »

It seems like we all agree on this. I just want to remark on how good Salerno is in this: if I watched the movie again it would be mainly for him. Venantini was a surprise. I think this is his best performance among the movies I ever watched him in: one of the most intimidating villains in the history of SW. 

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM