Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:52:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Straniero...fatti il segno della croce (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Straniero...fatti il segno della croce (1967)  (Read 2639 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2006, 05:01:23 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062311/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/straniero_fatti_croce.htm

To expect a good movie from Fidani is like to wait for Osama Bin Laden (or George W. Bush) being awarded the Nobel prize for Peace. This is no exception to rule, though it is much better than those (at least those I've watched) which will come later. The reason is that it has more money put into it: so you see more extras, more furnished sets (which are those that will be seen also in the future) and some shot more. The plot is more complicated than usual (actually I wasn't able to look through a pair of passages but didn't find the strenght to go back and check). The unusual thing is some gratuitous violence, like those on kids in the opening scene or the shot through a cushion during the bank heist. But the most out of the way thing is the "eggs" shooting, not so much for the kind of target being used, but rather because one of the three actors speaks (deliberately) with a dubbed roman accent and even uses some roman slang expression.
All in all, not a very bad movie, but not even remotely a good one.
This is the first movie for Fidani, but also for Fabio Testi (though it seems he was a stunr in GBU). Music is interesting: original and obtrusive, sometime. Not memorable, though. Apparently it wasn't distributed out of Italy boundaries. Or maybe just Roman boundaries.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 05:30:47 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062311/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/straniero_fatti_croce.htm

To expect a good movie from Fidani is like to wait for Osama Bin Laden (or George W. Bush) being awarded the Nobel prize for Peace. This is no exception to rule, though it is much better than those (at least those I've watched) which will come later. The reason is that it has more money put into it: so you see more extras, more furnished sets (which are those that will be seen also in the future) and some shot more. The plot is more complicated than usual (actually I wasn't able to look through a pair of passages but didn't find the strenght to go back and check). The unusual thing is some gratuitous violence, like those on kids in the opening scene or the shot through a cushion during the bank heist. But the most out of the way thing is the "eggs" shooting, not so much for the kind of target being used, but rather because one of the three actors speaks (deliberately) with a dubbed roman accent and even uses some roman slang expression.
All in all, not a very bad movie, but not even remotely a good one.
This is the first movie for Fidani, but also for Fabio Testi (though it seems he was a stunr in GBU). Music is interesting: original and obtrusive, sometime. Not memorable, though. Apparently it wasn't distributed out of Italy boundaries. Or maybe just Roman boundaries.
Noticed on that link Miles Deem is known as the "Ed Wood of sw's " so does that mean his films are so bad they're good Grin
    I've seen Savage Guns which discussed is on Firecrackers "Crappiest sw's" thread but still it was mildly entertaining,but i'm certainly in no rush to catch any other of Deems sw's Undecided

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 08:22:31 AM »

so does that mean his films are so bad they're good

Ed Wood is a genius compared to Fidani. His latest SW are an experience, though: they are the zero degree of production values, one must watch them if only to know what is like to make a Spaghetti with just the price of film to account for. Still one would look in vain for the cheesy, which could redeem them.
I've heard stories from other italian filmakers who were making movies (not Spaghetti) in those years, how they got hold of the film to shoot from what was left by big productions and decided on the spot to make a movie to exploit the lucky circumstance. I wonder why a movie about the '70's cheap moviemaking in Italy hasn't been realized yet: if well thought could be a gas.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM