Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 11:01:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I know why it's all just a dream
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I know why it's all just a dream  (Read 12819 times)
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2005, 03:50:05 AM »

Anyone who read the book "The Hoods", by Harry Grey, which the movie is based, should know that the future aspects of the movie is just an opium dream. After all, the book ends with Noodles escaping the gangsters.
Besides if u look at the future aspect of the movie, they're were dream-like. Deborah's son look just like the young max.
And besides,Harry Grey was present during the shooting of this movie. Still I think that the ending is great.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 04:50:37 AM »

Uh huh. I've never read the book but always assumed the future scenes were made up for the film, especially since it was published in 1967. Thanks for clearing that one up.

It's class.
RichardRoma
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:33:26 PM »

Believe me, I thought the same thing after reading the book, good point DOminick, there are a great number of people that don't believe in the dream thesis.

Although I wouldn't say that the movie isn't good if it was based on a dream.

Is probably the best film in history.

"Our reputation as all-around tough guys and so-called killers was a force which hurled us into the actual violence incubated by prohibition" Noodles, The Hoods by Harry Grey.
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 06:00:45 AM »

It IS the best picture in the history of cinema, no doubt! I love it, and I think the ending is really Great

LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

Never seen so many men wasted so badly.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 07:09:26 AM »

Sorry Dom,

The best film ever is none other than the godlike....

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

Your pitch is amongst the best of the rest however.

So many of us have had a session in there.
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 12:38:38 PM »

Sorry grandpa, although GBU is one of the best top 3 movies of all time, OUATIA is just a little better. Sergio takes the audience thru almost 4 hours of a confusing epic fairytale, only to tell us it's all just a dream.

Egdor
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 09:28:04 AM »

I have to ask this.

Did any of you really believe the 1968 part was a dream upon first seeing the film, or did you reach that conclusion after reading about the dream theory afterwards?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 01:10:12 PM »

Then Noodles dream-invented television (color television, to boot) and 1968 auto styles present in the 1968 part?  Then he really did use his noodle.

Egdor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 04:03:04 PM »

Well, I sure as hell never considered it a dream when I first saw it. I think itís only a subtle metaphor and isnít supposed to be taken literally. Iím asking whether anyone here actually thought of the dream theory when he first saw the movie.

RichardRoma
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 07:58:06 PM »

Hey people, is not only us, Leone Himself, the creator this wonderful epic, opened the possibility of this story being a dream.

Just watch the documentary "Once Upon a time Sergio Leone". There's the comment from the guy that said that Leone told a guy after he asked leone why is it that Deniro Smiles at the end, and Leone said, "well it could mean maybe that this movie was a dream".

"Our reputation as all-around tough guys and so-called killers was a force which hurled us into the actual violence incubated by prohibition" Noodles, The Hoods by Harry Grey.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 08:50:21 PM »

I have a hard time giving credence to things reported at third hand.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 01:09:40 PM »

the first time i saw the movie, i didin't knew what to think! I was SO amazed, but then I saw it again and began to understand the very dazling and slow pace of the movie. And when i watched "Once upon a time: Sergio Leone", all the pieces in the puzzle matched Grin

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 04:03:36 PM »

this is a tricky one. I personally don't believe it is a dream. I also think 2001 A space Oddysey is the best film of all time.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 05:07:07 PM »

I've never considered the Dream theory to be valid.  It's interesting to think about, but I don't think it holds a lot of water, for reasons mentioned millions of times over.

Anyone who read the book "The Hoods", by Harry Grey, which the movie is based, should know that the future aspects of the movie is just an opium dream. After all, the book ends with Noodles escaping the gangsters.

Also there was no rape scene in the novel.

And besides,Harry Grey was present during the shooting of this movie.

Leone met with Grey, yes, but he died almost a decade before a film of foot was shot, or even the screenplay was close to complete.

Then Noodles dream-invented television (color television, to boot) and 1968 auto styles present in the 1968 part?  Then he really did use his noodle.
\

Not to mention the Beatles and hippies. . .

I think Leone deliberately left this open to interpertation.  I'm not saying that you're wrong, because I doubt even Sergio had an answer to this, I just happen not to agree with you.

Besides if u look at the future aspect of the movie, they're were dream-like. Deborah's son look just like the young max.

A lot of different movies employ the same thing, of casting the same actors as members of different generations.  Doesn't really prove a thing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 05:48:28 PM »

I THINK YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS DREAMING!  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM