Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:18:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Eastwood on War
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood on War  (Read 9184 times)
Beebs
« on: June 05, 2005, 04:21:47 PM »

The most debated topic in my mind is the quote Clint Eastwood makes about war.

"I've never seen so many men wasted so badly"

Is he making a political statement? Should we hail up and say Oh NO Eastwood is a hippy? What action should we take to understand this?

I say he is not a hippy or anti-war at all. Many people see this scene and take it too far. What I think he is saying is "Hey yall don't need to waste your lives over this bridge because we're about to blow it to Kingdom Come"

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 07:15:53 PM »

I think of Eastwood as a very middle-ground kind of Republican, like John McCain. I don't like Crats or Pubes, but people who are middle ground are very good people Smiley They're smarter, too.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 09:02:23 PM »

If you are talking about eastwood personally what makes you think he wasn't just delivering a line... plus, even if you aren't anti-war or a hippy, you can admit that men dieing in an idle battle everynight, just to start over again in the morning is a waste.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Beebs
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 09:07:22 PM »

If you are talking about eastwood personally what makes you think he wasn't just delivering a line... plus, even if you aren't anti-war or a hippy, you can admit that men dieing in an idle battle everynight, just to start over again in the morning is a waste.

Sir you have a magnificent point.  I'm certainly not saying I feel men dying is OK. It is unacceptable however my point is:
how are we interpreting this line regardless of if it is Leone or  Eastwood speaking.
What I'm getting at is many people try to take a line such as this and take it to a "deeper than the speaker" level meaning they make it bigger than the speaker meant it to be.

He may be just saying "yall are wasting your lives over this god durn bridge cause it won't eb here in a minute when we blow it up".

I hope I have made my point clear that I am not a Blood and Guts finatic. Though I do admire Patton in a lot of his actions but not all.

Beebs
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 09:20:50 PM »

Grandpa Chum,
Please feel free to send me a message on the subject it s one I feel so strong about that I don't want anyone thinking anything different than what i mean. I don't think I've done a good job of explaining so if i didn't make if clear please let me.

Thank you sir

KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 09:52:01 PM »

"what if someone were to blow up that bridge" ?
" yea, maybe these idiots would go someplace else to fight". 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 02:07:18 AM »

I've always understood the line as coming from a killing professional who knows the value of a fighting man. Only a big score (say, $200,000 in gold coins) makes combat a risk worth taking. But those "idiots" are fighting over a worthless bridge.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Beebs
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 08:25:46 AM »

But those "idiots" are fighting over a worthless bridge.

Worthless because is about to be blown to Kingdom Come.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 08:47:07 AM »

Since about my 10th viewing in the 1970s, I've taken the entire film as an anti-war undertone lying beneath three thugs searching for gold: all the dead  young soldiers, and those missing limbs, eyes, etc.   I'd say the restored scenes of the Confederate "outpost" and the dead bodies littering the road just after leaving Mission San Antonio even further confirm that.  I think the fighting over a worthless bridge - neither side knew why it was important to try to take or hold it - was a draw from WW2.

Beebs
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »

Since about my 10th viewing in the 1970s, I've taken the entire film as an anti-war undertone lying beneath three thugs searching for gold: all the dead  young soldiers, and those missing limbs, eyes, etc.   I'd say the restored scenes of the Confederate "outpost" and the dead bodies littering the road just after leaving Mission San Antonio even further confirm that.  I think the fighting over a worthless bridge - neither side knew why it was important to try to take or hold it - was a draw from WW2.

But my question is are we taking this too far and making it bigger than Clint or Mr. Leone wanted it to be?  Is he making an anti- war statement or is he just saying that theyre wasteing their time itll be gone in a minute?

So far it turns out to be an anti war statment fromt he replies. I'd like to see if anyone else has a different opinion.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 10:51:45 AM »

But my question is are we taking this too far and making it bigger than Clint or Mr. Leone wanted it to be?  Is he making an anti- war statement or is he just saying that theyre wasteing their time itll be gone in a minute?

So far it turns out to be an anti war statment fromt he replies. I'd like to see if anyone else has a different opinion.

Why quibble over this one line in isolation? Cusser is right about there being an underlying anti-war tone throughout. And of course Leone was never one to tell his story through the dialogue - it's all about the imagery and the atmosphere.

Two main anti-war ideas stand out:

- Both sides are shown as having both innocents and cruel villains (although more innocents than villains) - in other words there is no "good" or "bad" side.

- References to horrors of 20th century wars - e.g. with the bridge, thousands wasted over a few feet of ground reminiscent of WW1 trench warfare; Betterville camp reminiscent of WW2 concentration camps.

It's class.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 11:14:52 AM »

I completely understand your point beebs, I was just saying that I think regardless of your(or eastwood or leone's) stance on war and regardless of whether or not the bridge gets blown up, the line was only meant for that specific situation, they are fighting idle over and over again, and are wasting lives, that is what I took from the quote, and to be honest I'm right with you, I'm pretty indifferent about war.  I think in most cases it's a survival thing, but you have to appreciate the feeling it gives this move... the confederate outpost restored scene(although I've never seen the actual restored version) is one of my favorite scenes in the movie, the flag waving majestically over the burning reckage, the smoke, all the soldiers wasted(in a beat-up sense, not wasteful), no more room and just corn cobs to make soup with, the music, it's amazing.... the imagery is fantastic.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Beebs
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 01:13:21 PM »

that is what I took from the quote, and to be honest I'm right with you, I'm pretty indifferent about war.  I think in most cases it's a survival thing, but you have to appreciate the feeling it gives this move...

I agree and so does Gen. Patton "the object of war is not to die for your country; it's to make the other bastard die for his"

LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

Never seen so many men wasted so badly.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 06:43:57 AM »

I think Frayling and myself agree that this line is the most important in the whole film. Its gotta be an anti war statement, the film, along with Duck Soup (honest), are two of the most important anti-war films, and Civil War is surely the worst kind of conflict with brother against brother and usually over a two bit piece of land.
Who are we to argue with the mighty Frayling !?! He probably knows what socks Sergio was wearing on the third month of shooting !

So many of us have had a session in there.
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 05:19:21 PM »

Sorry Cuss but seem to have missed something....WHICH  dead bodies littering the road after leaving San Antonio Huh Huh Huh Huh

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM