Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 03:00:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Eastwood on War
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood on War  (Read 9195 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 08:17:46 PM »

Sorry Cuss but seem to have missed something....WHICH  dead bodies littering the road after leaving San Antonio

In the extended version Ice, Tuco takes out his map for the first time there too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 09:27:49 PM »

i think tuco & blondie , for the first time, are equally yoked with their uneasy allience due to keeping with the situation.   first blondie deleviers the line. then.  i have good feeling this is going to be a good long battle. tuco, hearing this admits  the cemetary is across the river.  like the c.s.a carriage apears like a mirage in the desert , suddenly the two men just happen to be sitting beside the dynamite needed for the job.   
 opening credits feature mathettew harrison bradyish photos of angel eys, tuco & clint.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 09:54:51 AM »

To put the politics in context keep in mind the movie was made in 1967, the height of the Vietnam war.  That war was as popular in Europe as the war in Iraq.   

Leone's movies were always casting a cynical eye on the golden image of the US created by Hollywood, especially the westerns.  He certainly wasn't going to let the American ideal of self-righteous and morally virtuous warriors go by without comment.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 03:19:42 PM »

now i'm not saying it's not somewhat of an anti-war movie, but you are all reading into that one line way too much... the most important in the film... it's a great western but lets not go making it sound like a propaganda film, i mean it has anti-war sentiments, but it's no where near anti-war at heart... the line was directed towards the specific situation of the bridge(but not having anything to do with blowing it up, just that they were wasting lives to maintain the same order day after day), anything more you get from that one specific line is reading into it too much in my opinion.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Beebs
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 04:03:26 PM »

now i'm not saying it's not somewhat of an anti-war movie, but you are all reading into that one line way too much...

Thank you Gramps, I started this topic to see if we were just saying Eastwood is talking about how the waste is because it is a useless bridge or War is the devil. The question I proposed (or meant to) is: Are we making this a big deal, at least bigger than Eastwood or Leone meant it to be? Are we jumping to conclusions? and I agree with Chum, it may have a small statement to say wow look what happens when America goes to war with someone, you put them against eachother and the results are doubled, But I think my question is answered: a lot of people make this a big deal. Not that they're wrong but it's just a fact. Personally I dont make it the center of the movie. I want it so be just a great western about three men fighting through the war (like in Kelly's Heroes) to get money.

Fortean
Road Apple

... it'll be the last mistake you ever make.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 12:43:47 PM »

This could have simply been a tactical comment. Why waste so many men when you could hold or destroy the bridge with less men employed mmore intelligently.

Civil War tactics were not very friendly to the common soldier.

Ehi amico... c' Sabata, hai chiuso!
Beebs
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 03:18:08 PM »

This could have simply been a tactical comment. Why waste so many men when you could hold or destroy the bridge with less men employed mmore intelligently.

Civil War tactics were not very friendly to the common soldier.
Very true. I think this is the only war where the American soldier's life was held the least important and the most expendable.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2005, 07:09:44 AM »

If you are talking about eastwood personally what makes you think he wasn't just delivering a line... plus, even if you aren't anti-war or a hippy, you can admit that men dieing in an idle battle everynight, just to start over again in the morning is a waste.

So you can't be right wing and be anti-war then?  I know that William Holden, for instance, was a fervent pacifist, and James Stewart fervently opposed the Vietnam War (though he had personal reasons for doing so).  And of course Brent Scowcroft, Pat Buchannan, and many other Republicans oppose the current war in Iraq. 

Eastwood BTW is a libertarian from what I've heard, he's closer to a Republican than a Democrat but he doesn't really throw in with either party unless he has to.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Christopher
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 08:04:34 AM »

I don't think grandpa_chum's comments there had anything to do with what "wing" Eastwood is on.

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2005, 10:50:19 AM »

it was an anti war statement

One Bullet Left
Road Apple

The face you see belongs to the Man With No Name

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 04:08:36 PM »

I think it is important to consider the personality Blondie shows throughout the movie. The Man With No Name is a very deeper person in this movie that he was on the two previous ones. He is a man who knows Tuco is lying about his brother, and still pretends he don't. He holds a cigar for a soldier to have a quick smoke before dying.  He tries to convince Tuco to spare Shorty's life before finishing his own. I honestly think that Blondie's comment is very coherent with the character we see throughout the movie, and that it is indeed a anti-war statement - not like he is saying "oh, poor fellas", but like he could understand the futility of that wasted lives - a feeling expressed by the coronel too, by the way.

And, even though GBU is not essentially an anti-war movie, he does have an anti-war feeling in it - which I think makes good sense with the "who is good, who is bad" questioning that is in the core of the movie.

Beebs
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 02:45:17 PM »

To the man who spake this speak. Huh Cheesy

I can't see how you can think Duck Soup is an important anti-war movie. I like to think of it as a great comedy about a bumbly head of state against a snotty upsatart with two of the funniest spies to live.

Chico is my favorite.

"I think I'll play one of my own compositions, by Victor Herman"

New Brandon
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 08:39:09 PM »

I believe I have read Eastwood himself enjoyed expanding the character to that dimension.

Even in the restored scene after they leave Brother Ramirez', where they're looking at the dead bodies as they pass by and Blondie says "those men will never say anything to anyone anymore" can be interpreted as anti-war.

I believe the movie has many anti-war undertones.

New Brandon
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2005, 09:38:44 PM »

I don't know about Eastwood, but here is a quote from Leone on this site, from the "Did You Know?" article.

"I began The Good The Bad and The Ugly like the two previous ones, this time with three characters and a treasure hunt, but what interested me was on the one hand to demystify the adjectives, on the other to show the absurdity of war."

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 10:42:18 AM »

Worthless because is about to be blown to Kingdom Come.

worthless in general. There is no need to lose so many for a damn bridge.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM