Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 08:18:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hang 'Em High (1968)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hang 'Em High (1968)  (Read 20233 times)
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 11:02:29 PM »

As a kid, my first Leone movie was GBU (in fact I'm pretty sure that was my first western, too).  I liked it so much that my parents told me that GBU was part of a trilogy and that the other two parts were called Fistful of Dollars and Hang 'em High.  Imagine my surprise when I rented both movies!  I liked FoD though not as much as GBU but I absolutely hated Hang 'em High.  I couldn't understand why the other two were so good but this one was so lousy.

Thankfully, several months later, I was looking for something to rent at Blockbuster and found FaFDM.  I watched it, loved it, and realized that my parents had goofed up the title.  I saw High 'em High again in my twenties and I didn't hate it quite as much.  But yeah, its still pretty bad and the music sucks.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:10 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hang-Em-High-Blu-ray-Review/10640/

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »

Can't see who would want to buy the  bluray disc.There's not even any special features.I pretty much agree with the concensus here in that after a very promising start it descends into monotony with a crap love interest and an unsatisfying ending.Though I think it's marginally better than JOE KIDD.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

Can't see who would want to buy the  bluray disc.

Really? Shocked

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »

Well maybe Clint (to be fair he is good in this movie)completists but on checking the standard dvd can now had for just a few pence! Cheesy

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »

Rewatched this today courtesy of TCM, and while I liked it a teensy bit more than before, I still stand by my basic opinion. Too talky, and not interesting talk either. The movie starts great, stays decent up to the halfway mark, then slowly deterioriates into a lousy TV Western. I think the script is mostly to blame here; there are a lot of interesting ideas that aren't properly fleshed out, or are dealt with in a hamfisted manner. The Clint-Inger Stevens romance rivals Major Dundee as the most blatantly tacked-on romance in a Western.

I do like the score a lot, and some of the supporting cast is good, particularly Pat Hingle and Bruce Dern. Still, nothing to write home about. 6/10 might be generous.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »

Well upon a re-watch I can only agree with all the criticism already written above. I wasn't crazy about this movie even as a kid but nowadays it looks really bad. I think watching this movie you can see clearly that only Leone knew how to get the best out of Clint, and maybe Don Siegel, but to a way lesser extent. The mass-hanging was the best part, the rest is barely routine with pinches of SW influence. Some of the sets were really nice for an AW, though.

5.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »

You've got to remember, Ted Post directed Rawhide episodes. Look upon HEH as a TV movie that just happened to play in cinemas.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 02:32:15 AM »

HEH is not a bad western, but it lacks a powerful ending and a better director. 6/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 05:46:06 AM »

You've got to remember, Ted Post directed Rawhide episodes. Look upon HEH as a TV movie that just happened to play in cinemas.

You might have mentioned this already.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »

I think this is an enjoyable movie, though (as with many films) the love interest crap is unnecessary.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »

You might have mentioned this already.
Maybe even a couple of times? Cheesy

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 02:51:51 PM »

I bet he had a different crew for Magnum Force, because that's a well-made movie.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »

I bet he had a different crew for Magnum Force, because that's a well-made movie.

That film benefited greatly from a John Milius/Michael Cimino screenplay.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »

Most definitely, but visually it was much more polished - to the point where it doesn't feel like the same guy is directing.

I'd use the same logic for Paul WS Anderson. I doubt any of his stuff looks as adequate as Event Horizon (sue me, I think it's a decent mix of every sci fi film from the late 60s onward lol).

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM