Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:01:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Prologue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prologue  (Read 22739 times)
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 11:05:15 AM »

they didn't
It was courtesy of a fan who taped it.

The story of the guy who taped it is hilarious and bears repeated viewings- unlike the prologue.

Well they did. It's there isn't it? Afro HAHA anyway, the guy who taped it is pretty funny. The story he told on how much he spent so he could record it. haha

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »

they didn't
It was courtesy of a fan who taped it.

The story of the guy who taped it is hilarious and bears repeated viewings- unlike the prologue.

Hi Guys,
               Can someone explain "the story of the guy who taped it" please?

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Whalestoe
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 12:21:47 PM »

Hi Guys,
               Can someone explain "the story of the guy who taped it" please?

ICE

On the 2-Disc Collector's Edition of A Fistfull of Dollars, one of the Special Features on Disc-2 includes the actual network prologue. It was recorded by Harry Dean Stanton who talks about buying a VCR esque machine that was $1500 (talk about a fistfull) so he could record AFOD when it came on network television and have his own copy. He almost stopped recording, but let it continue opon seeing the Clint Eastwood poncho "that was as long as a dress".

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »

Younger members on this board need to know that back in "those days" there were not VCRs, rentals, etc., and it took over 10 years for the spaghetti westerns to make it to TV.  This guy bought that equipment to make his own copy, never dreaming that by 2005 or so that one could get a DVD copy for $10, and sooner for VHS tape.  We couldn't anticipate individual copies back then, the studios were fighting against it, not realizing that rental copies and home copies could bring in more $$$ than in the original theater showings.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »

Younger members on this board need to know that back in "those days" there were not VCRs, rentals, etc., and it took over 10 years for the spaghetti westerns to make it to TV.  This guy bought that equipment to make his own copy, never dreaming that by 2005 or so that one could get a DVD copy for $10, and sooner for VHS tape.  We couldn't anticipate individual copies back then, the studios were fighting against it, not realizing that rental copies and home copies could bring in more $$$ than in the original theater showings.

Oh I understand fully Cusser. When I said how I thought the story of the guy buying the VCR was funny because it's amazing how time has changed. Back then, I probably would have done the same thing he did.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »

On the 2-Disc Collector's Edition of A Fistfull of Dollars, one of the Special Features on Disc-2 includes the actual network prologue. It was recorded by Harry Dean Stanton who talks about buying a VCR esque machine that was $1500 (talk about a fistfull) so he could record AFOD when it came on network television and have his own copy. He almost stopped recording, but let it continue opon seeing the Clint Eastwood poncho "that was as long as a dress".

Harry Dean Stanton is the actor in the prologue - it was recorded by a fan.

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Whalestoe
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 02:15:31 PM »

Woops - you're correct. Cheesy

I just looked at the back of my box thinking his name was on it, since he talks prior to it being shown. After quickly rewatching, the fan's name is Howard Fridkin.

Also, why is it when typing late at night and early in the morning, I spell Fistful - Fistfull?

On a side note, the VCR-esque machine he purchased was a Beta Max. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax for more information.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »

Yes there was no way to record those films on TV.

But you have to remember also that when I first saw For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars in (1967) as a 14 year old kid I knew that there was no way in that day and age, that the films would ever get on TV as I knew it period. So I memorized the films so I could tell my country cousins who didn't live in New York City about them scene by scene. I was like the book people in Farenhiet 451, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 04:37:38 PM »

But you have to remember also that when I first saw For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars in (1967) as a 14 year old kid I knew that there was no way in that day and age, that the films would ever get on TV as I knew it period. So I memorized the films so I could tell my country cousins who didn't live in New York City about them scene by scene. I was like the book people in Farenhiet 451, lol.
Afro But were you able to describe camera movements and framings and whatnot? What about the music? Did you hum the appropriate cues at the appropriate moments? Grin Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 04:57:47 PM »

But were you able to describe camera movements and framings and whatnot? What about the music? Did you hum the appropriate cues at the appropriate moments? 

GBU was easy to whistle, I think I was acting it out for my cousins, much like it was described Leone did with the actors,"watch me", lol

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 04:39:23 PM »

On a side note, the VCR-esque machine he purchased was a Beta Max. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax for more information.
I was one of the suckers who bought a Betamax VCR back in 1984 or 1985. At the time, there were two formats: Betamax (produced by Sony) with smaller tapes that would not fit into the other system, which was VHS, and viceversa.
But everybody thought that since Sony created Betamax, this would be the winner. So I bought a lot of tapes in Betamax format (Leone's movies of course were the first ones) and after a year or two, I had quite a collection.
Sure enough, after 2-3 years, the VHS format won the race and Betamax was out and they even stopped producing it, so when my Betamax machine conked out in 1987, I had to throw all my Betamax tapes away and had to rebuy them in VHS format.
Lost quite some bucks on that one...!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:44:43 PM by Leonardo » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »

Sure enough, after 2-3 years, the VHS format won the race and Betamax was out and they even stopped producing it, so when my Betamax machine conked out in 1987, I had to throw all my Betamax tapes away and had to rebuy them in VHS format.
Lost quite some bucks on that one...!
You should have gone with laser discs at that point. OUATIA came out in 1994, complete, in the OAR, and then DYS followed in '96 (w/ short final flashback, OAR), both with digital sound. There was no need to wait for DVDs.......

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2007, 01:04:19 AM »

I saw it on the DVD, though not Leone history, it was still interesting and amusing to watch.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 10:54:56 AM »

You should have gone with laser discs at that point. OUATIA came out in 1994, complete, in the OAR, and then DYS followed in '96 (w/ short final flashback, OAR), both with digital sound. There was no need to wait for DVDs.......
Dave, my Betamax conked out in 1987 and at the time there were no laser discs yet. Do you really think I could have managed 7-8 years without a Leone movie at home....?? Wink

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:56:00 AM by Leonardo » Logged
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »

DYS was incorrectly mastered from the original Techniscope camera negative giving it an eye straining 2:66 aspect ratio!

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM