Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 01:09:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Prologue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prologue  (Read 22668 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »

Dave, my Betamax conked out in 1987 and at the time there were no laser discs yet. Do you really think I could have managed 7-8 years without a Leone movie at home....?? Wink
There were LDs for commercial use as early as 1978. As this info from wikipedia makes clear, 1987 was *the* year to adopt the format:

As Pioneer introduced Digital Audio to LaserDisc in 1985, they further refined the CAA format. CAA55 was introduced in 1985 with a total playback capacity of 55 minutes 5 seconds, and was necessary to resolve technical issues with the inclusion of Digital Audio. Several titles released between 1985 and 1987 were analog audio only due to the length of the title and the desire to keep the film on 1 disc (e.g., "Back to the Future"). By 1987, Pioneer had overcome the technical challenges and was able to once again encode in CAA60—allowing a total of 60 minutes, 5 seconds.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »

when I was a kid I actually memorized these films so I could tell my cousins about them, I figured they'd never get on TV.

Yeah, what do the younger generations know about this? I actually remember reciting a movie for my school companions (it was an english horror) and keep them entranced (maybe I was good at it. Or maybe it was a good movie: there's a lot of them when you're a teen. Then they become rarer).

Anyway I find strange that you say you never thought they would end up on tv. By reading some reviews on IMDB or Amazon I reckon the movies made it on tv in the '70's, while in Italy we had to wait 1989, when VCR was established in Italy.
And you thought this for a special reason or because that was what happened to movies on tv in general?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »

The networks rarely showed Leone's films. With the rise of regional stations, and then cable, Leone got more exposure. I saw a lot of the films in the early 80s, when a local station had regular Leone weeks. A friend of mine got to know OUATITW well after it got on regular rotation on Turner in the mid to late 80s.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2007, 07:22:22 PM »

Nowadays, the Dollars Trilogy is shown on AMC, every once in a while, usually on stuff like "Clint Eastwood Weekend" and "Tough Guy Week". They're heavily cut most of the time, I wish they'd play them on TCM. Actually, the cuts for FoD and FaFDM are reasonably thorough, but GBU is horrible. One moment he doesn't have his serape, the next he does.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2007, 07:24:51 PM »

Well I though that they wouldn't make it to TV in an uncut state mostly because of the violence and subject matter.

Between 1970 and 1977 I rarely watched TV I was out in The Idaho Panhandle North of the Locsa River and East of Kamiai & Pierce and in the Yaak River Valley of Northwestern Montana both areas without TV reception. But someplace I saw the network premier of Fistful of Dollars and realized that some weird censorship is possible in the USA.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2007, 07:33:28 PM »

Well I though that they wouldn't make it to TV in an uncut state mostly because of the violence and subject matter

So, in your recitals, you concentrated on the most violent parts?

But the first three had some kind of age restriction over there?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2007, 07:36:33 PM »

Maybe in the boondocks they had restrictions in force but on Times Square I could get into burlesque & peep shows too,  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2007, 07:41:09 PM »

My, we had a similar career. But I'm younger, man.  Evil

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2007, 07:47:42 PM »

Well I though that they wouldn't make it to TV in an uncut state mostly because of the violence and subject matter.

Between 1970 and 1977 I rarely watched TV I was out in The Idaho Panhandle North of the Locsa River and East of Kamiai & Pierce and in the Yaak River Valley of Northwestern Montana both areas without TV reception. But someplace I saw the network premier of Fistful of Dollars and realized that some weird censorship is possible in the USA.
Fod isn't that bad, no sex, no blood, just a good western. That might be able to be seen uncut on TV.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »

My, we had a similar career. But I'm younger, man.  Cool

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2007, 08:10:17 PM »

I'm younger than the both of ya!

However, I live in the boondocks.... Sad

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 08:30:29 PM »

Fod isn't that bad, no sex, no blood, just a good western. That might be able to be seen uncut on TV.

Actually FOD might just be the most violent of the three.
It's a toss up between FOD and FAFDM.

And you have to remember the time frame CJ is talking about.
In the early 70's it would have been difficult to show the Dollars movies uncut.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2007, 07:07:22 AM »

I was out in The Idaho Panhandle North of the Locsa River and East of Kamiai & Pierce and in the Yaak River Valley of Northwestern Montana both areas without TV reception. 
Hell, sounds interesting: are you a trapper, gold digger or simply a...bounty killer?Huh Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2007, 08:24:15 AM »

I was out in The Idaho Panhandle North of the Locsa River and East of Kamiai & Pierce and in the Yaak River Valley of Northwestern Montana both areas without TV reception. 

Hell, sounds interesting: are you a trapper, gold digger or simply a...bounty killer?

lol......I worked for the US Forest Service

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2007, 08:48:47 AM »

Now the Lochsa is a beautiful place.  I was up there recently.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:50:13 AM by Silenzio » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM