Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 04:24:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lee Marvin
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lee Marvin  (Read 11844 times)
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2005, 06:10:46 AM »

I heard that leone wanted Henry Fonda in van cleefs part in for a few dollars more. Fonda would've been great, perhaps not better than van cleef. But leone almost signed Lee Marivn!!!!??? What's that about. I don't mind Lee Marvin. He was a great actor, but not in his young days. I liked him in point blank, but he could never have played col. Mortimer!

Is it just me or what?Huh!!!??

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 01:53:44 PM »

Lee Marvin is the man!

He could've pulled it off. But once it's already been done, it's hard to imagine anyone other than Van Cleef as Mortimer.

Speaking of Lee Van Cleef, ever see High Noon? It's great. It's weird though because Van Cleef has NO dialogue. He's one of the main bad guy's henchman. The problem is he's a lot more menacing than the main bad guy. He's actually in the very first shot of the film, but yet he has no lines. He got shafted!

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
Egdor
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 07:15:50 PM »

High Noon is worth watching for a bit of the old Lee Van alone.  Frank Miller, whoís supposed to be the real threat, comes across as completely harmless after the few glimpses we get of these malicious stares! I think itís an unintentional touch of genius that they didnít give the man any lines. That way he becomes more of a mystery. He plays the harmonica when he ought to talk.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 07:11:55 AM »

I think you could guess from my screen name, Grin but anyway I think Robert Ryan would've made an interesting Colonel Mortimer (he was Leone's second choice after Marvin).

Saturday nights with Groggy
jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 01:40:50 PM »

Robert Ryan as Colonel Mortimer, huh? That would be fine by me.

So Lee Van Cleef cut his own dialogue from High Noon? Smart move, actually. That glare of his is worth 100 dirty words. Although his dialogue in GBU doesn't make him any less nasty.

The only problem I have with High Noon (and it's minor, really) is Frank Miller. There's all this buildup, and then splat. He isn't half as threatening as his henchmen. Tell me Lee Van Cleef wouldn't have been more effective, I dare you. Could you imagine? He steps off that train turns around and there's that glare. "Angel Eyes, NOOOO!"

I read on IMDB that LVC's mismatched eye color was a common family trait. Supposedly passed down through the inbreeding of the Van Cleef family... (ugh)

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 08:40:01 AM »

It was fun to see Lloyd Bridges when he was young. That guy cracks me up. That Jeff Bridges ain't half bad either.

That's some interesting info on the Van Cleef family. Thank you for sharing. So I guess it's more socially acceptable to be a European inbred than a redneck American inbred. More like "kissing cousins", huh? Interesting. And creepy as all hell. (cue the dueling banjos...)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 10:53:18 PM »

Lloyd Bridges will always mean Sea Hunt to me.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:32:21 AM »

Lloyd Bridges will always mean Sea Hunt to me.

Way before my time. Lloyd Bridges will always mean Hot Shots Part Deux to me.

Strange, considering Hot Shots Part Deux doesn't really mean anything to me. Oh well, Lloyd Bridges, R.I.P.

PS: Jeff Bridges is the man. Or the dude, as it were.

Beebs
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 06:48:43 PM »

I agree Lee could have done it but Van Cleef did the best job anyone would do.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 11:32:59 PM »

Lee Marvin would have made a great Col. Douglas Mortimer but the right man got the part. Lee Van Cleef was outstanding and made the character for what it is today, and that's memorable!

I believe things happen for a reason, and without Van Cleef getting this part, he may never have been cast as Angel Eyes in TGTBATU. Sergio loved his performace so much in FAFDM that he eventually cast him as Angel Eyes. Thank god!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:34:18 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 07:18:02 AM »

In film class at college (1974) High Noon was one of our films screened (we saw double-features every Thursday night in an auditorium), the instructor told us that the first audience screening did not contain the snippets of the song (Tex Ritter, John Ritter's dad, by the way, not Frankie Lane who did the hit single) or the close-ups of the clocks cut in, and the audience did not like the film.  These both help build suspense.  Whether instructor was correct or not, I don't know.  In High Noon note Van cleef playing harmonica, and Jack Elam as the drunk getting released from jail at the end.  Also, I DID ask the instructor if he had seen any of Leone's films, and he replied "no, but they're not any good", the elitist 1960s-1970s attitude....

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 08:32:33 AM »

In film class at college (1974) High Noon was one of our films screened (we saw double-features every Thursday night in an auditorium), the instructor told us that the first audience screening did not contain the snippets of the song (Tex Ritter, John Ritter's dad, by the way, not Frankie Lane who did the hit single) or the close-ups of the clocks cut in, and the audience did not like the film.  These both help build suspense.  Whether instructor was correct or not, I don't know.  In High Noon note Van cleef playing harmonica, and Jack Elam as the drunk getting released from jail at the end.  Also, I DID ask the instructor if he had seen any of Leone's films, and he replied "no, but they're not any good", the elitist 1960s-1970s attitude....

Wow, interesting stuff Cusser. I wonder if your instructor changed his view on Leone's work years later? Did you think he was wrong back then?

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 01:37:32 PM »

Instructor's name was Dr. Nick Salerno, English professor at Arizona State University.  Actually, it was a very interesting and informative class, my favorite class (I'm a chemist who now also makes about two safety films here per year, usually with Leone and/or Morricone touches or homages), and I did get an "A" while my brother got a "B" (but he STILL insists he did better and was more knowledgeable !!!).  I have no idea if Nicky ever re-evaluated and/or changed his views on this.  But it is well-documented that Roger Ebert did change his views on GBU, said his initial review of it was when he just started out.  For that you can search this forum.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 07:38:11 PM »

Instructor's name was Dr. Nick Salerno, English professor at Arizona State University.  Actually, it was a very interesting and informative class, my favorite class (I'm a chemist who now also makes about two safety films here per year, usually with Leone and/or Morricone touches or homages), and I did get an "A" while my brother got a "B" (but he STILL insists he did better and was more knowledgeable !!!).  I have no idea if Nicky ever re-evaluated and/or changed his views on this.  But it is well-documented that Roger Ebert did change his views on GBU, said his initial review of it was when he just started out.  For that you can search this forum.

Yeah, I read about Ebert's initial review of GBU. He also ripped OUATITW upon release and then later changed his opinion's. He thinks both films are Masterpieces now.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 03:05:07 AM »

Yes, Lee in High Noon is absolutely cool. It's a pity his death is too fast and in the background...  Undecided The film is so good, but the final duel is very amateur. It ruins the movie.
Frank Miller? Can't remember who played that guy. He had not have Lee's athmosphere...

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM