Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 04:35:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Quentin Tarentino and GBU
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quentin Tarentino and GBU  (Read 5713 times)
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2005, 05:53:04 AM »

I just saw pulp fiction and reservoir dogs, and I think both of them are great. But tarentino use so much from leones movie's. The end of reservoir dogs, you got three people poitnin' guns at each other, and also in pulp fiction. Just like the final duel in GBU. Tarentino claims that his biggest influenceses are Godard, De Palma, and Scorsese, but i you look at his movies, it's all Sergio Leone

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 05:37:28 AM »

He's mentioned Leone quite a bit also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 07:22:35 AM »

The publicity blurb cited that this is his favourite movie. I like some of T's movies. I'm not a big fan of his work but I do like Pulp and Jackie, and, as you, said Leone's influences are quite clear.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 09:11:53 AM »

A massive difference though is that SL uses panoramic landscapes while QT likes to film indoors, but otherwise the tone and pace of his films are similar.  Many films borrow from SL's films.  I watched Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night (Guy Ritchie, the poor bugger married to Madonna directs) and I counted three instances of Morricone's music style being used, including chimes of a watch during the duel between a shotgun and a pair of pistols.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 12:16:05 PM »

I noticed a fun "SL borrow" the other day. In Scent of a woman, Al pacino drives a ferrari in NY, and he crosses the famous bridge shot from OUATIA

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 02:09:01 PM »

Ever see "THE BURBS"? In one scene there is a very obvious reference to Leone. Tom Hanks' character and his friend are walking to their creepy neighbor's house. The Morricone-esque music kicks in. The other neighbors are watching them and the camera zooms in on each of their faces. Tight closeups on each face, including a small dog! Funny stuff. I liked Tom Hanks back when he was in stupid comedies. Now he just does all them silly drammmas.

Anyway, yeah, Tarantino. Could he be more over-rated? I like some of his stuff, but come on. At first his films were interesting, now they're getting tired. Why can't he just tell a story without ripping someone off and passing it off as an "homage"? Why does he rely on pop culture so heavily? Is it because he knows nothing else? I'm sure someone's going to defend his films and attack me personally, but just take a gander at my signature. It goes both ways, buddy.

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 02:46:39 AM »

I think Tarantino's only real strength is the dialogue he writes, which admittedly is very clever and funny, particularly in Pulp Fiction. As a director he's competent but not outstanding. As a result I think he uses dialogue as a crutch - his films, especially his early ones, are just talk-talk-talk-talk-talk. Good dialogue is nice but I hate it when films are too wordy - makes me wish one of the things he'd nicked off Leone was the long stretches without dialogue.

It's class.
ray_gillespie
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 05:57:17 AM »

I always liked Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I don't think he has done anything of note since then.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 12:24:30 PM »

I always liked Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I don't think he has done anything of note since then.

I agree. They were fresh back then, and it's understandable why he became such a hot director. His early films are really good and show a lot of promise. Now his dialogue is becoming self-parody. I don't hate the Kill Bill movies, I just think they're self indulgent. Too much "clever" dialogue, not enough actual story. It's very stylish but lacks substance. Maybe if the style was more interesting it could be pulled off. What's weird is that he's always referencing other filmmakers that I happen to like. It doesn't flatter him. But the most annoying thing is all the damn hype.

Fortean
Road Apple

... it'll be the last mistake you ever make.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 12:36:20 PM »

I think you might be under-rating Jackie Brown, or haven't seen it yet. It's somewhat Leone-esque in the drawn out way everything takes place.

Kill Bill might not be to everyone's taste, but I wouldn't write the guy off yet. Guy Ritchie made a couple fantstic films - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and Snatch - then made a bad one featuring his wife. He's got a new one on the way that looks like it might make up for that.

Heck, look at Robert Rodriguez. He came out with several great films in my opinion, right now in theatres he has Sin City, and his latest is Shark Boy And Lava Girl In 3-D. Arguably he doesn't make all of his movies for the same audience.

Jerkface, no attack - just a thought. Give the nice people on this board the benefit of the doubt before launching a "pre-emptive retaliation" against people waiting to make personl comments about you. Just a thought.

Ehi amico... c' Sabata, hai chiuso!
ray_gillespie
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 02:15:09 AM »

I've watched Jackie Brown twice, and to be honest, the 1st time I saw I thought it was pretty good. The 2nd time however, I got so bored that I had to turn it off. I don't know what it was, or why I found it so boring, but I just couldn't  watch any more.
The only other film that I can recall switching off through boredom was The Day After Tomorrow, though that was perhaps a mixture of hatred and boredom.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 08:21:12 AM »

Jerkface, no attack - just a thought. Give the nice people on this board the benefit of the doubt before launching a "pre-emptive retaliation" against people waiting to make personl comments about you. Just a thought.

You're right. The Leone board is full of nice people who deserve the benefit of the doubt. I just wanted to point out my signature, which is about people and their subjective opinions. I thought that would be a good way to avoid childish insults from people who take things personally. There is a distinct lack of childish behavior on this board, which continues to surprise me.

And I haven't given up on Tarantino. Well, not totally. I did watch the CSI season finale, which he co-wrote and directed. It sucked. Oh well. If only he could resurrect Charles Bronson and put him in a new film. Ever notice how there's a Bronson reference in almost all of Tarantino's films?

ray_gillespie
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 08:56:18 AM »

Ever notice how there's a Bronson reference in almost all of Tarantino's films?

I've never noticed anything, but this sounds interesting. Can you give us some examples?

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 09:12:12 AM »

I've never noticed anything, but this sounds interesting. Can you give us some examples?

I haven't seen any Tarantino films in awhile, so excuse me for paraphrasing or being vague.

Reservoir Dogs: I'm pretty sure there's a scene where Harvey Keitel says something about someone thinking they're Charles Bronson. Like, uh, "hey, who you think you are, Charles Bronson?" That's not it at all. Anyway, you get the point.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 is dedicated to the memory of Charles Bronson.

Kill Bill Vol. 2: During the fight scene in the trailer between The Bride and Daryl Hannah's character. On the wall is a prominently placed poster of the film MR. MAJESTYK.

MR. MAJESTYK kicks ass, by the way. Good taste, Quentin.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2005, 05:17:29 AM »

"Mr. Majestyk" kicks serious ass - it used to be on heavy cable rotation but seems to have disappeared.  Rights must be tied up or something.   I love Al Lettieri, he was one of the best heavies in the 70's - he was great in "The Getaway" too.  He was fading by the time he got to "Next of Kin", not as menacing.  But, sharing the screen with Swayze probably doesn't bring out your best performance (unless you're Ben Gazzara).

Little off topic but "Telefon" has been showing up a lot lately -  "the woods are lovely, dark and deep..."  Shocked

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM