Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:46:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Quentin Tarentino and GBU
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quentin Tarentino and GBU  (Read 5726 times)
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 11:41:02 AM »

Yeah, i woulden't say that Tarantino is overrated, he's the most original filmmaker at the moment, but then again he's only made two good pictures. Reservoir, and Pulp, but thoose two movie are masterpieces and both some of the best films of the nineties.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2005, 07:06:08 AM »

"Mr. Majestyk" kicks serious ass - it used to be on heavy cable rotation but seems to have disappeared.  Rights must be tied up or something.   I love Al Lettieri, he was one of the best heavies in the 70's - he was great in "The Getaway" too.  He was fading by the time he got to "Next of Kin", not as menacing.  But, sharing the screen with Swayze probably doesn't bring out your best performance (unless you're Ben Gazzara).

Lettieri, he was the guy who got shot by Al Pacino in the restaurant with Sterling Hayden in "The Godfather", right?

Saturday nights with Groggy
jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 09:24:59 AM »

"Mr. Majestyk" kicks serious ass - it used to be on heavy cable rotation but seems to have disappeared.  Rights must be tied up or something.   I love Al Lettieri, he was one of the best heavies in the 70's - he was great in "The Getaway" too.  He was fading by the time he got to "Next of Kin", not as menacing.  But, sharing the screen with Swayze probably doesn't bring out your best performance (unless you're Ben Gazzara).

Little off topic but "Telefon" has been showing up a lot lately -  "the woods are lovely, dark and deep..."  Shocked

Aww, now you done it. You went and mentioned Al Lettieri. My vote for greatest heavy of the 70's. Man, I love Al Lettieri.

The Getaway was taken out of Peckinpah's hands by McQueen and the studio. Peckinpah's original cut has never been seen. They replaced Jerry Fielding's score with Quincy Jones. I heard that McQueen cut out some of Al Lettieri's scenes. As you may know, McQueen was a fiercely competitive prick. Supposedly, Lettieri was very pissed to find that some of his best stuff ended up on the cutting room floor. There were rumors of a Getaway Director's cut coming out, but they just re-released the original cut. Shucks.

I love the whole sub-plot in The Getaway where Lettieri kidnaps the veteranarian and his wife. Sick! It's so darkly comical. Disturbing and funny, because of Lettieri's performance. He gets so much joy out of tormenting that guy.

And yes, Al Lettieri plays Solozzo in The Godfather. He's the guy who shoots the godfather and in turn gets capped by Michael Corleone in the restaurant.

Your comment about Patrick Swayze bringing the best out of Ben Gazzarra is really funny. But for my money, Gazzarra's at his best in Buffalo '66. Also worthy of mention is his performance as Jackie Treehorn in The Big Lebowski.

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 07:14:27 AM »

The Directors' Cut: Film-Makers Choose Their Favourite Movies: Quentin Tarantino

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Leone, 1966)
2. Rio Bravo (Hawks, 1959)
3. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)
4. His Girl Friday (Hawks, 1939)
5. Rolling Thunder (Flynn, 1977)
6. They All Laughed (Bogdanovich, 1981)
7. The Great Escape (J Sturges, 1963)
8. Carrie (De Palma, 1976)
9. Coffy (Hill, 1973)
10. Five Fingers of Death (Chang, 1973)

im a big fan by the way, if you look at kill bill 2 you'll see he has potential to make classics and he will, he hasnt yet but he will
KB2 is dedicated to Sergio Leone by the way, i dont know if anyone mentioned it but it is

« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 07:20:17 AM by Johny_Exhale » Logged

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM