Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 06:26:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il mio corpo per un poker aka The Belle Starr Story (1968)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Il mio corpo per un poker aka The Belle Starr Story (1968)  (Read 5098 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2005, 02:32:20 PM »

And heres my scribbling of my weekly Spaghetti Western viewing!  This time, its The Belle Starr Story" :

This film is a rarity in the euro-western genre, in that it has a female lead. Whilst I know very little about the real life "bandit queen" Belle Starr, I gather that the story itself bears little resemblance to actual events (although the rumoured father of her first child - Cole Younger - becomes her rustling partner Cole Harvey in this movie).

The story itself begins with a game of poker between Belle (played by the fantastically foxy Elsa Martinelli) and equally renowned bandit Larry Blackie (with George Eastman as endearing as ever). Having already won all of her money, Blackie offers Belle a final game with her body being the only thing she has left to gamble. She throws the game, disposing of her best cards and leaving her at Blackie's mercy (and bed). From here on, the story concentrates on the relationship between the pair - which is sometimes loving, sometimes rough, but always displaying great rivalry.

The film is in two parts, the first relaying Belle's past to Blackie in flashback, with the second half containing more action as the two rivals each aim to loot a transportation of diamonds.

The flashbacks in the film are particularly engaging, as you gradually learn how Belle Starr gained her bandit queen reputation. However the second half is also a good view (with Blackie's torture at the hands of the Pinkertons a particularly well filmed scene). Even when the film does reach the occasional point of mediocrity, the fine interplay between Eastman and Martinelli prevails.

Not a classic, but all in all a highly enjoyable western worthy of my recommendation".

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Fortean
Road Apple

... it'll be the last mistake you ever make.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 12:25:40 PM »

Never heard of it. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Ehi amico... c'è Sabata, hai chiuso!
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:19:44 AM »

Although at times it was a bad movie, on the whole....it turned out to be an OK viewing.
At times...it seemed as if the voice actors were making the dialogue up..it was so bad.  Undecided
I particularly liked the torture scene..although listening to Chopin mighht never be the same  Wink
George Eastman looked like a young Douglas Fairbanks...
The heist was well done...the music wasn't bad...in a 60s poppy kind of way.
Blackie & Belle's relationship & outcome was complex & interesting.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 09:39:14 AM »

Probably it is more of a rarity in that it was directed by a woman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061981/

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 12:14:37 PM »

Cheers Marco,i'll make a note of this one!!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 02:59:38 AM »

Directors: Piero Cristofani & Lina Wertmüller mehh, elsa Martinelli is beautiful to look at when she is dressed as a woman otherwise she looks ridiculous, 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »

Elsa Martinelli is sexy both in male and female garments. And, of course, when undressed. She's the main or only reason to watch the movie, even though she's allowed to "sing". Eastman is good, the story sucks. But I give it 6\10 only because of the main attraction.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM