Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:55:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jason Robards
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jason Robards  (Read 7036 times)
Beebs
« on: June 17, 2005, 08:44:27 PM »

Robards role as Cheyenne amazed me. He was such a friendly smile. I wish I knew how to insert pics here to show you but he has such a friendly countenence. I hear he had a bad drinking problem and was in AA. My dad sponsors people through the steps of AA and told me that's what ruined his career in his later years. What an actor he could have been already having such talent. too bad he was limited by his drinking. My mom was watching a movie on AMC the other night with him in it as a young guy. Great to see him young.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 05:13:24 AM »

The fact that Robards - an Irish-American New York theatre actor - was able to tackle the role of a Mexican bandit (without even trying an accent) convincingly is in of itself impressive.  Personally I prefer his work on "All The President's Men" to this film, but still, his Cheyenne role was excellent.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 05:46:51 PM »

I like Robards as Cheyenne, but do you ever believe for one moment that he's Mexican? Sure, the character was supposed to be Mexican, and he has a Mexican name, but Robards didn't play him that way at all. Good thing, too.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 04:49:57 AM »

He's not playing him like a peon, which is the sterotype most of us think of, I know some Mexicans who you wouldn't know are Mexican until they told you, and a lot of Native Americans with French names to boot.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 08:37:49 AM »

Jason Robards' humor adds a lot to OUATITW. The whole thing with him patting Claudia Cardinale on the behind is classic. Great delivery. Mmm... Claudia Cardinale...

Have any of you ever seen The Ballad Of Cable Hogue? If you like Jason Robards, I'd recommend it. If you like Sam Peckinpah, double whammy. It's not one of his better known films, but it's very good. Quite unique for Peckinpah too, it's one of his tamer efforts. Not much violence. Surprising, considering he made it right after The Wild Bunch. Robards is excellent as always.

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 04:53:21 PM »

He's not playing him like a peon, which is the sterotype most of us think of, I know some Mexicans who you wouldn't know are Mexican until they told you, and a lot of Native Americans with French names to boot.
CJ, Robards is playing the role like the Irish-American he is....like he always does. Look at his Doc Holliday in Hour of the Gun: same performance.

KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 10:02:46 PM »

robards played a great capone. cheyenne and his gang remind me of a syndicate. they're totaly loyal and organized unlike frank's men.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 10:04:39 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 05:32:24 AM »

robards played a great capone. cheyenne and his gang remind me of a syndicate. they're totaly loyal and organized unlike frank's men.

I don't think the majority of Frank's men have worked for him for too long.  He probably was given a couple weeks by Mr. Morton to get all the scoundrels and vagrants he could and find and recruit them.  Maybe a few members of his gang have been with him for awhile, but Cheyenne's gang has some sort of real loyalty to each other.

Larzz
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 09:38:24 AM »

Jason Robards' humor adds a lot to OUATITW. The whole thing with him patting Claudia Cardinale on the behind is classic. Great delivery. Mmm... Claudia Cardinale...

Have any of you ever seen The Ballad Of Cable Hogue? If you like Jason Robards, I'd recommend it. If you like Sam Peckinpah, double whammy. It's not one of his better known films, but it's very good. Quite unique for Peckinpah too, it's one of his tamer efforts. Not much violence. Surprising, considering he made it right after The Wild Bunch. Robards is excellent as always.
The Ballad of Cable Hogue is fantastic. Robards is excellent as Cable Hogue, the men left in the dessert who finds water. Great Peckinpah film and a wonderful western. On dvd early next year in Warner's Peckinpah box!

Franks Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 01:16:59 AM »

I cannot wait to see a widescreen copy of this film as I have the laserdisc but it is in the pan and scan format.
What a great film that will finally have its day on dvd ..... Robards and Elam got to work with both of the masters in Leone and Peckinpah.

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 11:18:12 AM »

Henry Fonda said that the big star was him. Leone added that all the actors were impressed by his performance. He was great.Particularly in that movie.

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 04:50:46 PM »

I've never seen "Cable Hogue", I'm sorry to say - though not for lack of trying.  Undecided

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »

Cheyenne - Manuel Gutierrez (I don't think I spelled that correctly).  If you look closely, Cheyenne's men use Mexican saddles (their saddle horns are different).

Fuzzyboots
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 12:47:04 AM »

I've always thought that Robards gave the best performance in the movie. He's not deep and introverted like Frank and Harmonica; he's kind and gives off a unique aura

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 05:31:20 PM »

I'd say that there were certain similarities between Tuco Ramirez, Manuel Gutierrez, and Juan Miranda based on ethnic stereotyping. Of course they are different characters, differently written, acted in dissimilar ways. Still, they are all members of the stock Mexican fraternity, and provide a necessary element in their respective films (they are essentially comic characters). Similarly, Blondie, Harmonica, and Mallory fulfill (in different ways, to be sure) their roles as Mysterious Strangers.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM