Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 08:06:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Little Big Man (1970)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little Big Man (1970)  (Read 13659 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2006, 12:04:27 PM »

strictly speaking, the "60"s runs from 1960-1969

Strictly how? Can you tell me, please, where the first decade  of the first Millennium starts from?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2006, 05:35:53 PM »

Never though of it as a masterpiece, but its very good

What are your criticisms about that movie, CJ? Huh

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2006, 02:56:48 PM »

What are your criticisms about that movie, CJ?

No real criticisms, it was good, I thought the town sequences not as tight as the Native American sequences but it was a serio-comedy so I can let it pass.
 Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2006, 05:13:01 PM »

Strictly how? Can you tell me, please, where the first decade  of the first Millennium starts from?
Of course there is no year zero, so the first decade runs 1-10.
The second decade then runs 11-20, but it is not called the 20s. The 20s are of course 20-29, and the third decade is 21-30. Again, these are merely semantic distinctions, of little use except to cloud matters.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2006, 06:14:54 PM »

Not "merely" semantic: we're talking about the universal way of counting. But to make the matter short give me an honest answer: if you were writing a history book, instead of posting on this board, would you adopt your way of counting without any explanation to the reader?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2006, 06:40:50 PM »

It would depend on who my intended audience is. I would assume that most educated people know the difference between "the third decade" and "the 20s", just as they would know that the 1900s and the 20th Century are almost the same thing, but not exactly.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »

I've checked sources here on line and looks I was wrong about this. So I have to beg pardon both to you and Firecracker, which I do, thanking the both of you for having me taught something I hadn't noticed before.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2006, 10:43:40 PM »

I've checked sources here on line and looks I was wrong about this. So I have to beg pardon both to you and Firecracker, which I do,

no problem Smiley

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »

This is certainly a very interesting discussion. Cheesy

Arthur Penn's (Bonnie and Clyde) Little Big Man (1970) is yet another entry in the spate of revisionist Westerns of the late '60s/early '70s, which challenged the old-fashioned triumphalist views of the Old West. Think Forrest Gump meets Dances With Wolves, filtered through Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and you have a good idea of the kind of film this is. It's certainly well-made and entertaining, but dated and only sporadically successful in making its point.

The 122-year old Jack Crabb (Dustin Hoffman), "the last white survivor of the Battle of the Little Big Horn", tells his story to an obnoxious historian (William Hickey). Crabb and his sister () were orphaned when their parents were killed by bloodthirsty Pawnee Indians, and they were rescued and raised by a tribe of Cheyenne led by Lodge Skins (Chief Dan George). Crabb is captured by US Cavalrymen, adopted into wife society by the Bible beating Reverend Pendrake (Thayer David) and his lascivious wife (Faye Dunaway), works with conman (Martin Balsam), undertakes a gunslinging career which leads to several encounters with Wild Bill Hickok (Jeff Corey), and ends up a scout with the 7th Cavalry led by the vainglorious George Armstrong Custer (Richard Mulligan), who stupidly leads his regiment into a massacre at the hands of Sioux and Cheyenne in Montana.

Little Big Man is obviously a mediation on Western myth-making. Jack Crabb is the ultimate unreliable narrator, an ancient codger telling tall tales into a microphone, and right off the bat it's made clear that we should take the stories we hear with a grain of salt. As such, it's hard to fault the film for its historical inaccuracies, from its Vietnam-informed portrayal of Custer and the 7th Cavalry to the unlikely number of historical personages (Custer, Hickok, Buffalo Bill) Crabb encounters to his masturbatory sexual encounters with a trio of Indian widows. However, the film's falling back on cliches of all sorts, from the lecherous, hypocritical Christians to the murderous cavalry and noble Indians, is much more problematic.

The film thematically bears a curious resemblance to John Huston's The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1973), another revisionist film. Little Big Man's episodic plot is certainly better-structured and more consistent than Bean's, its scenes and plot having some sort of structure and sense, but it suffers from the same oft-overbearing irreverence and smugness as Huston. The humor is often broad and self-serving, not funny so much as mocking, particularly its bizarre portrayal of Custer as an insane, stupid egomaniac, giving a speech while his troopers are slaguhtered around him. In this regard, along with the Pocahontas-esque noble Indians, the film goes a bit too far in correcitng the ledger. The movie is much better in its serious moments; the snow-driven Washita Massacre is a truly harrowing sequence, and the scenes of Crabb adjusting to Indian life are strong scenes. For all its strong parts, however, the film never truly transcends the mythos of the early '70s, and remains a product of its own time.

Penn's direction is fairly assured, handling the action scenes well and wonderfully capturing the gorgeous Montana landscapes. The movie has strong set pieces throughout - the battle scenes, particularly the aforementioned Washita scene, are well-handled as a general rule, though the Little Big Horn climax is a bit of a let-down. The movie handles the Natives fairly well, aside from an occasionally over-eloquent speech and a bizarre homosexual Indian (Robert Little Star) who is anachronistic and probably in bad taste, though the American characters are mostly cartoons. John Hammond's catchy blue grass music score is wonderful.

Dustin Hoffman's casting in the title role is highly problematic, to say the least. The talented Method star of The Graduate, Straw Dogs and All the President's Men, at the peak of his stardom, is simply not cut out to play an adopted Indian/Indian fighter/hermit/gunslinger/Old Man; his attempts at a corn-poned Southern accent, mixing with his usual New York deadpan, result in perhaps the most bizarre accent outside of Richard Nixon's Texas Leprechaun voice as Richard Nixon. It's not that Hoffman's performance is bad per se, but that he's miscast beyond all hope.

The supporting cast fairs a bit better. Faye Dunaway has an extended cameo as the sultry, sensual Mrs. Pendrake, who believably goes from bored preacher's wife to whore. Martin Balsam and Jeff Corey contribute fun cameos as larger-than-life Westerners. The Indian cast is solid, save Little Star's character; particular honors goes to Chief Dan George (The Outlaw Josey Wales), the perfect mixture of sagely wisdom and down-to-earth wit and humor. Richard Mulligan's caricature Custer is beyond absurd, and is too ridiculous to draw the laughs it's designed to.

Little Big Man is a fun, irreverent little film that perhaps goes too far in its efforts. It's certainly worth a look for Western fans, but it's far from the classic its reputation suggests.

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2009/12/little-big-man.html

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 01:42:25 AM »

LBM is still one of my favourite westerns. Penn's best film together with B&C, and followed by Night Moves.

A film for body and mind.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 04:10:25 AM »

LBM is still one of my favourite westerns. Penn's best film together with B&C, and followed by Night Moves.

A film for body and mind.

I love you.

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 04:16:02 AM »

The Little Big Man Sioux sequences especially the landscapes are spot on, that is exactly what the land looks like in the vicinity of Little Big Horn, rolling sagebrush & prairie grass.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 04:18:30 AM »

Looks like the part of California between Frisco and Yosemite National Park to me... with less vegetation.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 04:21:56 AM »

Two screenshots of the video I took last may when I was there:

(I was in a car on the highway, that explains the poor quality of the screenshots)

That was pretty close to SF if I remember well... There are more trees and less windmills when you get closer to Yosemite...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:23:33 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 05:21:49 AM »

I love you.

I love you too, at least if you look just like on your signature. Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: