Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 10:08:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Little Big Man (1970)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little Big Man (1970)  (Read 14006 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2005, 05:00:53 AM »

I bought this a while back in a $10 dollar sale and finally got around to watching it, what a great DVD transfer in widescreen.

Its the first time I've seen it not panned and scanned and it has a few scenes in the transfer that they usually cut out on AMC.

Its a low key comedy western with a lot of insight, check it out if you've never seen it before and if you've only seen it on cable.

The beautiful Montana scenery (reminds me of my second home) is worth it alone, its a great story too, an epic about a 120 year old man who lived many various lives in the West. The Native Amercican sequences are great.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 08:27:53 AM »

Little Big Man is excellent. It's both funny and moving emotionally. I found it strange how it would vacillate between those two extremes. Both light hearted and heart rending at times.

Dustin Hoffman's performance is pretty interesting. I liked how his speaking voice would change in regards to his context. One minute he'd be speaking English with a Native American accent. Then he'd be drawling like a good ol' boy. At first I wasnt' sure what he was doing, but it makes sense with his character. He doesn't really know where he belongs and attempts to fit in wherever he is.

Faye Dunaway, hubba hubba.

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
HEX
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 10:22:06 AM »

LITTLE BIG MAN  is a wondrfully unique western

plays a lot like FOREST GUMP and BARRY LYNDON!

the plot is 120 year old man reminisces on his old life as a young boy taken in by indians then later becoming adopted by religous women(faye dunway) who is in to adultery. then becomes a gunslinger and so on and so on.......the climax is that he plays a very valuable role in custards last stand.

GREAT FILM I RECOMEND BUYING IT SINCE U CAN GET IT FOR ONLY NINE BUCKS! THATS A STEAL!

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 06:00:21 PM »

A must see or a must own.  Intend to get in on DVD soon.  The book is as good also and Iwill buy one of the old style hardbacks on ebay soon.  Got to add it to my collection.
I enjoy Martin Balsam as Alardyce T. Meriweather.

HEX
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 06:20:50 PM »

A MUST SEE.. BUT WITH A PRICE TAG OF 9.99 MIGHT AS WELL BUY IT.

IT IS WORTH SEEING MORE THEN ONCE.

BUT IT SEEMS YOURE A FAN OF THE BOOK.
MUST BUY FOR U MY FRIEND.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:09:55 PM by HEX » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 01:07:41 PM »

I saw this film when released. Watched in on TV and finally got me a DVD at 3 Euros (It is good that over here we have the newsagency releases: they are series which are released on the newsagency distribution net. As there is a newsagency even in the remotest place of Italy (well, almost) and of course you have hundreds in the big cities) that means that these dvd's are printed in big numbers and sold at about 10-12 euros a piece. That also means that the ones unsold are resold at low prices in unofficial channels (flea markets and such) at the prices I bought them. These editions usually are same as the official editions. Anyway I bought  also lots of Clint Eastwoods and other american popular movie classic at this price.

Anyway, I found the movie quite enjoyable but no classic: some charachters are too didascalic (Faye Dunaway's (I love her, but here is doing nothing), Martin Balsam's and Grandpa himself). Hoffman is not at his best. I think he's always off role, he doesn't know what to make with his character. I don't know whether Custer was such an imbecile as portrayed in the movie (he probably was) but he's too programmatically so.
Excellent score (to compare with that of Soldier Blue: they have a folksie instrumentation with the acoustic guitar playing though various styles).

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 03:45:13 PM »

ah "Little Big Man"...the only film Faye Dunaway looks attractive to me (didnt care for her skinny ass in "Bonnie and Clyde").

Love this film. The comedic elements are wonderful and the "going snake eye" scene is among my favorites.
Editing is a bit choppy in some scenes like when the Pawnee indian appears out of nowhere (literally) and tries to kill Hoffman but ends up wanting to trade (or sell) him goods.

nice epic tale. I still think they should have gotten a different actor to play Hoffman in his old incarnation. That make up is way too much.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:28:43 PM »

One of LBM's best selling points are the Native American sequences, Chief Dan George was great,  that was done very well, the other sequences aren't quite up to that level.

The location scenery for the Battle of The Little Big Horn was spot on, that's exactly what that part of the Big Horn-Yellowstone River country of Montana looks like. Also many Native Americans from the Souix-Assinibone and Crow tribes were in the film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 05:33:27 AM »

Chief Dan George was great

Yeah, that's one of the problems. He's always so wise, so keen, so good, so inspired...you name it. 

The best line of the movie is when the negroes are defined as "black white men". That was great. I also like Hoffman when he dares Custer to attack the indian camp.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:41:09 AM »

Yeah, that's one of the problems. He's always so wise, so keen, so good, so inspired...you name it.

Yes typcast for sure, but I believe this was the first film that really featured him so it was fresh at the time. Before this all the Natives were show more wise & stoic and with no humor (and I think humor is the key factor here), unless of course they were depicted drunk.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 05:24:34 PM »

Well, these comments are not very passionate...

Telling the truth, even if I do prefer Leone and his OUATITW, GBU, DYS and OUATIA, because this is a kind of cinema that moves and impress me a lot, I have to admit that Little Big Man may be the greatest movie ever.

Masterpiece. incredibly funny, and two shots after it becomes the sadest scene you'll ever see, and two minutes after you're back on laughing. Incredible. Terrific. So powerful. Almost perfect.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 08:55:04 PM »

Well, these comments are not very passionate...

on the contrary...I really like "Little big man" and consider it to be the best American film of the sixties. Next To "Bonnie and Clyde" that is.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 06:38:59 AM »

I have only seen the very begining of Bonnie and Clyde so i cannot speak about it... Another huge american movie of the 60s is The Graduate, even if I might be one of the very few who love it... Actually, I heard it was more famous in the USA, but in France, nonody knows about it.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 08:57:19 AM »

on the contrary...I really like "Little big man" and consider it to be the best American film of the sixties.
If you consider 1970 to be part of the 60s (and I do)......

The film is entertaining, but clearly of its time (i.e. not a "classic", which, by definition, must be timeless). An example:
the "gay" Indian, who is ahistorical, and owes his existence entirely to borsht-belt schtick.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 12:03:44 PM »

owes his existence entirely to borsht-belt schtick

Uh?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM