Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 06:59:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rated R?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rated R?  (Read 2792 times)
Beebs
« on: June 21, 2005, 07:55:52 AM »

I've always wondered why this movie was Rated R. The only blood is when Tuco is tortured and the begining scene with Tuco killing the three men. Maybe PG-13 would be a little more likely but R? Also the other movies are the same rating. FFDM has the Indio Ms. Mortimer scene but besides that there isn't much to call for the rating.
I realize this is an older movie and the ratings were different back then but still I'm confuzzeled.

Puzzled,
Beebs

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 01:20:42 PM »

Beebs - these films were released before film "ratings".  Their advertisements used terminology like "suggested for mature audiences".  They were rated for re-releases and videos.   Cheyenne's retort to Harmonica after the comment "there was no dollars in them days" with "but sons of bitches, yeah" was cut from the original Once/West U.S. theatrical showing in 1969 when I saw it (along with some other scenes, such as Harmonica getting up after being wounded at Cattle Corner).  My guess is that the R ratings were for the cold-bloodedness of some of the killings (Stevens, Baker, 3 bounty killers killed by Blondie, "I'll kill 'em all, be right back").

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 08:40:24 AM »

In Italy only GBU had an admittance restricted to the older than 14 (the reason why I couldn't watch it at the time). I presume it was basically (if anybody does exist who knows how the censors' mind tick) for the final "son of a bitch". About which, of course, you couldn't do nothing.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 11:35:43 AM »

In the UK, and I presume for US, the special edition had to be re-submited to the censors as it contained new footage and yet it still garnered an 18 rating and an R -rating. I would agree with a 15 rating, but I still think the 18 rating has been a little harsh. Of course I saw it well before I was 18  Grin but I have certainly seen much more violent and bloody films been passed for a 15 (Bad Boy's 2 anyone   Wink )

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Beebs
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 02:17:10 PM »

I am just amazed at how now the content of the movies that made it get the R rating are now shown on public TV without a notice.

titoli- I take it then that you are from Italy. I'd like you to look at a thread I posted called Ivan Basso on Off Topic. Thanks!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 10:24:12 AM »

I was wrong on GBU being the only Leone earning a R (though restricted only to 14 years old minors) rating. Actually,  FOD was rated  with a full R (admittance restricted for those of less than 18 of age) which was canceled when Leone accepted a handful of cuts to his first version. which makes me ponder whether we in Italy ever saw this version apart from those lucky people in Florence when the film was first released.

Beebs
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:21:02 AM »

I was wrong on GBU being the only Leone earning a R (though restricted only to 14 years old minors) rating. Actually,  FOD was rated  with a full R (admittance restricted for those of less than 18 of age) which was canceled when Leone accepted a handful of cuts to his first version. which makes me ponder whether we in Italy ever saw this version apart from those lucky people in Florence when the film was first released.

Very interesting. Thank you

Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 12:47:49 PM »

The MPAA must have thought the film's violence was too much. Audiences and The Critics thought it was too much back then. The Good The Bad and The Ugly is about violence. It's about men who cause violence, especially in The Civil War.

Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 01:59:49 PM »

I remember when I showed my teen daughter the film for the first time, and the bit that really made her wince was when Tuco bangs Wallaces head against the rock after jumping off the train.  It was the first time I had noticed that it is quite a violent and unusual scene in that you don't see many beatings of this kind on film.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Beebs
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 02:03:35 PM »

That too is the part that made we a little surprised

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM